Best Local GAA Papers In Your County

Started by OakLeaf, November 15, 2006, 10:23:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lone Shark

Quote from: AZOffaly on November 15, 2006, 11:53:36 PM
1) Offaly Independent, although there's a couple of tubes that write for it.

Can't beat a great staff night out, twas a good one.....  :P

AZOffaly

Don;t worry LS, I wasn't talking about your esoteric ramblings. They are quite enjoyable over a cupán tae, even if I don't agree with you more than 6 times out of 10 :)

I was more talking about that jinnet from Cork, McCarthy, and some of the stuff the girl puts out. In fairness to her, she is improving, but your man burned his bridges with me over the Kildare Subs affair.

Lone Shark

I tend not to worry about these things one way or another, I'm sure most people consider me quite tubular well over 4 out of 10 readings ...  :P

He is an awful clown that lad all right, and he never seems to write anything worthwhile. Just his own pointless bar stool take on whatever was going on that week. As for when they went to the Ryder Cup, that was the most ridiculous things ever. A gang of lads taking photos of each other on the golf course - not a golfer in sight.

To be fair to Ruth, she was landed into a job knowing feck all about the county scene, so it's understandable enough that she took a while to get into it. She wouldn't be the biggest lover of the small ball in the world, but she's at least in with the football set now. I feel sorry for the new lad, Michael Verney - writing on hurling matches, and having to be woeful wary of saying anything out of place in case he has to hurl against the lad in a few months.....

Mayo4Sam

Western people is usually quiet good, except for mayo matches when the journalists either dont want to insult the lads, JOm doesn't want to upset the electorate or ray silke is just being a bollix
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

No1

QuoteThe Democrat...the Wobbler beats them out the gate...

5 Sams, I take it that is the Newry Democrat, because the Down Democrat is a bag of shite.

5 Sams

Yip thats the one No1. In fairness The Wobbler hasnt a lot to compete with in the Newry Democrat. The preview stuff he does at the start of the season/championship is good reading even though his predictions are usually as far away as my last shite. :P
The Aristocrat Years

full back

johnneycool

The Newtownards Chronical has a full colour suppliment on the hurling and football every thursday. The Camogie gets a great write up in the Newtownards Spectator as well.

::)

lynchbhoy

Never read the mid ulster observer - but apparantly I was pictured in it last week.

Kildares Leinster leader used to have the best coverage - although were pretty phenomenaly brutal at getting names wrong.
There was no other paper at that stage

Meath Chronicle is a decent paper full of all the local sports etc.
Great GAA coverage

Blanch gazette is complete carp.

Rossi

The Celt as has been rightly said is brutal, its that bad that they've now brought out a free paper on a Friday (Cavan Life) to compensate.As for the sports editor enough said,hardly a week goes by without a picture or mention of the son.
Also this year Drumalee played Ballinagh in the Intermediate final and in their build up they had all the Drumalee player profiles pics of Drumalee players etc,and nothing on Ballinagh only a pic of their manager who isn't from Ballinagh.

OakLeaf

Quote from: johnneycool on November 16, 2006, 11:28:05 AM
The Newtownards Chronical has a full colour suppliment on the hurling and football every thursday. The Camogie gets a great write up in the Newtownards Spectator as well.

::)

You are taking the Mick, right? I wouldn't have taken Newtownards for being a hotbed of GAA.

Blue06

Agree with previous Cavan posters about the Celt being poor.  When Damien O'Reilly (RTE) was doing the sideline view section it was good.  I didn't always agree with what he said but at least it was thought provoking.
Owen McConnon does it now.  Hes on some County Board committee so therefore says nothing to offend anyone, very bland.

A couple of years ago DOR questioned why Cavan people would support Ulster teams (He termed such people as Ulsterites), his argument was why support your arch rivals.  Michael Grennan UC president took exception to this and criticised the Celt at the UCs AGM for allowing such rubbish be printed.  The following summer when presenting the Anglo-Celt cup to Armagh he referred to the cup as the Ulster championship trophy.

winghalfun

Tyrone Times are the only paper making a genuine effort to cover every game in every league. The editor, Kevin Hughes may at times be a bit controversial but usually his views are spot on.

oneillcup2007

The Tyrone Herald needs a huge kick in the Arse - less Party nights as the weekend and go for mass Club gaelic coverage in a big way.  They can fill a huge gap in the market in Irelands second biggest county.  On another matter, I remember going to and knowing that  Tyrone were going to beat Donegal in the Ulster final replay 1989 - the reason, The Donegal Democrat had given Tyrone awful abuse in the lead up to the first game and the trash on individuals and the team was reproduced in the Tyrone Democrat.  Every Tyrone man the week before the replay would have ran through a wall for their county to beat Donegal, supporters and team galvanised and in unison. and we did with applomb.    

Rossi

Damien O Reilly's sideline view section was more like a Man Utd supporters club section.He spent most of his time boasting about Man U and their players and god forbid any team who might beat them or any manager who might speak out about them.Granted he had some good points to make about the GAA but as time went on Man U  took up much of his time.