Man Utd Thread:

Started by full back, November 10, 2006, 08:13:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

An Watcher

Martial and Sanchez on there tonight.  Combined 650k a week is it?  Absolutely bananas!!!!

Cunny Funt

Result not that much of surprise when you consider only two weeks ago Burnley almost won in Old Trafford. PSG very good in midfield and defence they totally controlled the game but they didn't have to work too hard or create something special to score tonight as defending on both goals was terrible from United.

The injuries made it a bad night all round for Ole he will have his fingers and toes crossed they aren't long term as this United squad full of dead wood or past it players can't afford any injuries for the PL run in.

J70

Get the first goal away, and you never know, especially with DeGea in nets.

From the Bunker

Hound

You often come across players, especially wingers, who play really well but have no end product.
Whenever I see Di Maria play, he seems to be the exact opposite!

Taylor

I actually thought it was bad news for Utd that Neymar & Cavani were out - especially for the leg in Manchester.
Both are tremendously talented but very very lazy with regards to tracking back.

If they had been playing Utd would have had much more space to attack last night. As it was PSG were rock solid in defence throughout with Mbappe a tremendous outlet & all other players tracking back.

Wont matter in the grand scheme of things but neither will come close to winning

Cunny Funt

Quote from: Hound on February 13, 2019, 06:21:35 AM
You often come across players, especially wingers, who play really well but have no end product.
Whenever I see Di Maria play, he seems to be the exact opposite!

His end product as a United player was rare. Last night he was mostly up against a 33 year old once decent winger playing full back and he was more exposed when a slow Mata was brought on. 

Farrandeelin

Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

NAG1

Di Maria handled that incident quite well to be fair to him.

It is unusual for a player to get such a reaction on his return to the club, it is usually the complete opposite.
So this shows the fans reaction to his percieved lack of interest or effort during his spell at the club. He was and is a top class footballer there was no doubt of that, he just didnt seem to fancy it in the PL.

To be fair there wasnt a lot in the game, Matic losing the run for the goal off the corner and a blistering counter attack. Better side won and United's game plan came unstuck when Lingard and Martial were forced off. Probably more concerning for Ole was when PSG sat off toward the end, there didnt seem to be that spark or ability to unpick them in and around the 18 yard box. It is all well and good hitting on the counter but when you are chasing a game it does need to be mixed up a bit.

I liked Ole's reaction after the game, no blame and looking forward. The fans on the draw under JM would have resigned themselves to going out at this point against PSG so it is a good sign that most of us are disappointed this morning.

magpie seanie

The reality check we knew was coming but hoped against hope wouldn't. Thought United did ok at the start but PSG grew into the game and were the better side by halftime. Martial and Lingard weren't playing that well but when they went off it weakened the team considerably. I just can't understand how bad Sanchez has been....I'd play a youth team lad instead of him now.

Matic very disappointing for the goal but the guy who scored should have been off the pitch at that point (I know Young was lucky not to get his marching orders too - it was highlighted ad nauseum on RTE). At no level can you afford to do what he did, simply awful. That changed the game and PSG totally took over completely for a good spell after that. Probably lucky to escape with 0-2 the way things were going at that stage. I guess the limitiations of individual players and the squad as a whole were laid bare fully last night. That's fine, we all knew they were there and need addressing. But it took a really top team to do it so let's not lose our minds altogether. It's no Sevilla.

PSG are a better side than I thought. Tuchel looks like a nut job but he has them playing a very efficient and effective style and tactically they're excellent. It will take a very good side to see them off I think.

Need to pick things up for chelski. Will be difficult if Martial and Lingard are out and with the work put in by some of the players last night. Still - they seem to have troubles of their own so hopefully United can get back on track.

screenexile

I didn't understand the narrative about Kimpembe having to go off. His first tackle wasn't a red card and his other tackles were all fine. Anybody looking him to get a second yellow for basically being stronger than Rashford needs their head read!

Likewise Young's wasn't that bad only for the fact the fence was there I don't think it was intentional.

NAG1

Quote from: screenexile on February 13, 2019, 09:43:51 AM
I didn't understand the narrative about Kimpembe having to go off. His first tackle wasn't a red card and his other tackles were all fine. Anybody looking him to get a second yellow for basically being stronger than Rashford needs their head read!

Likewise Young's wasn't that bad only for the fact the fence was there I don't think it was intentional.

His first tackle was a clear yellow and was more for the number of fouls that he had after the initial booking that had him walking that fine line. One of those ones if he hadnt recieved his first yellow for that tackle he definitely would have for the others.

magpie seanie

The one where he upended Shaw was a yellow card all day long. Didn't even get a free kick. Marquinhos also in the first couple of minutes should have got a yellow for pulling back Lingard on a good break...a standard yellow card. Thought ref was odd throughout. No complaints about results but little bits of luck can really influence the outcome.

mouview

Quote from: screenexile on February 13, 2019, 09:43:51 AM

He mayn't have meant to nudge Di Maria into the fence, but there was nothing unintentional about the shoulder that did it.

Maroon Manc

United very naive thats what disappoints me most. You could see what PSG were at that form early on, they wanted to slow down the game and had no interest in attacking in the first half and were doing their upmost to get United players booked. Clearly PSG are a better side but United had the quality to cause them problems over both legs, losing both Martial & Lingard in the first half was a huge blow given Sanchez looks finished at this level. I thought Rashford should have gone right wing after half an hour and he should hvae brought Pogba over to the right too given the left back and left centre back were both booked, United were getting no joy at all so he needed to change it.

Once again we concede at a set piece, beyond a joke at this stage and not the first time Matic has fallen asleep. Not for the first time in Europe we've been shafted by a ref, would have been a very different game if he'd done his job properly and sent their centre half off; He had two opportunities to do it.

PSG look good thought, didn't think they'd be so pragmatic; Reminded so much of the Juve side of the 90's.