Hurling championship 2018

Started by seafoid, April 25, 2018, 07:46:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milltown Row2

Tipps best players are getting on a bit! Clare are a strange team, so much about them but underperform
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

imtommygunn

Yeah so much potential in that clare team but they never fulfill it. Must be very frustrating to support. The cork goalie really should have stopped that goal then it would have been worse.

Lehane's goal very sharp. Must be a nightmare to mark.

AZOffaly

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on May 20, 2018, 05:50:15 PM
Tipps best players are getting on a bit! Clare are a strange team, so much about them but underperform

Tipps best players should be in their prime, 27 or 28. It's a very poor start from them, no intensity at all. They'll need it next week.

imtommygunn

I was thinking that. Most of them have been playing since u21 days.

They were rubbish but to be fair limerick were good.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: AZOffaly on May 20, 2018, 06:27:04 PM

Tipps best players should be in their prime, 27 or 28. It's a very poor start from them, no intensity at all. They'll need it next week.

Well they haven't turned up much lately! They lacked pace intensity and desire!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

AZOffaly

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on May 20, 2018, 07:54:25 PM

Yep.  They think they can turn it on and off. They should have learned by now.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: AZOffaly on May 20, 2018, 08:42:22 PM

Tipp hurling (club and county) are an enigma!

seafoid

Quote from: AZOffaly on May 20, 2018, 08:42:22 PM

This Gerlock video from 2015 is about Tipp and the class they have versus what they have won.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpFu7X548p4

They did win again in 2016 but they couldn't back it up the following year. And this year got off to a bad start
Interestingly, Conor Moore's Gerlock videos have far more views than the real things get.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

seafoid

seafoid

Tipp v Cork is on next weekend. Tipp surely have to win this one. It should be a humdinger

johnnycool

Quote from: seafoid on May 21, 2018, 08:41:12 PM
Tipp v Cork is on next weekend. Tipp surely have to win this one. It should be a humdinger

In Thurles I presume.

The misfiring of the Tipp forwards is something to behold and without Callanan in top form the rest struggle to weigh in with their fair share of scores. Forde didn't set the world alight and only fed off a hopeful long ball into the heart of the Limerick defence.
Cork look to have tightened up a bit in defence, but Clare let them off the hook with some poor shooting and wayward passing. Speed is still their main strength in the forwards and that may cause Tipp problems but I'd expect Tipp to deny them the space they need.

The pressure is on Michael Ryan and he'll fill the team with the regulars to ensure it happens.

manfromdelmonte

Quote from: johnnycool on May 22, 2018, 11:22:30 AM

In Thurles I presume.

The misfiring of the Tipp forwards is something to behold and without Callanan in top form the rest struggle to weigh in with their fair share of scores. Forde didn't set the world alight and only fed off a hopeful long ball into the heart of the Limerick defence.
Cork look to have tightened up a bit in defence, but Clare let them off the hook with some poor shooting and wayward passing. Speed is still their main strength in the forwards and that may cause Tipp problems but I'd expect Tipp to deny them the space they need.

The pressure is on Michael Ryan and he'll fill the team with the regulars to ensure it happens.
Tipp players always seem to want to take on their marker physically (especially the half backs) instead of just playing the ball out of defence
slow ball out is killing their forwards

AZOffaly

Quote from: manfromdelmonte on May 22, 2018, 11:49:18 AM

In Thurles I presume.

Tipp players always seem to want to take on their marker physically (especially the half backs) instead of just playing the ball out of defence

That's a good observation. Paudie Maher especially, but Ronan as well, love the physical contact. They look for it. They like nothing better than a big catch, a bulldozer out and then a delivery. When Paudie is in full flow it is a powerful lift to a team in fairness. He just bullies opponents.

However he's not going well at the moment, and it was noticeable how many Limerick half forwards (big men themselves) were able to stop that initial burst out. Then panic stations set in and the scrappy handpassing or turnovers happened.

Cork won't have the same physicality, but they will have something that causes Tipp awful problems. Speed. Paudie, Ronan and Barry Heffernan are not fast, and if the likes of the Cork forwards start streaming down the middle, Cork will tear them asunder.

Tipps forwards have to win them this game, and I don't necessarily mean on the scoreboard. I mean in the way they will have to work to disrupt delivery to the Cork forwards. It was painful watching how much time Limerick half backs had to survey the field and play dangerous balls into Gillane or Mulcahy. Tipps backs didn't have a chance. And if Limerick were a top team like Galway, that would have been a 10-15 point defeat.

Tipperary need to find fire and intensity and workrate to go with their undoubted skill. The forwards have to work hard when they don't have the ball, hooking and blocking and harrying. They have to be prepared to win the odd ruck, or the odd high ball. The backs and midfield need to start varying the delivery. In the first half against Limerick, they did play the corners, and John McGrath and Jason Forde won ball and won frees. In the second half, they reverted to long bombs which can cause panic right enough, but if you do it every time, it loses it's effectiveness.

A major rethink, and gut check, is needed. If either fail, Cork will beat them. I wasn't surprised Limerick and Cork won last weekend, I think I said it here, and next weekend it's hard to see past Cork, but I just think there might be a reaction from Tipp, and Cork with the 2 points might not be as desperate.

johnnycool

Quote from: AZOffaly on May 22, 2018, 12:09:36 PM
Quote from: manfromdelmonte on May 22, 2018, 11:49:18 AM

In Thurles I presume.

That's a good observation. Paudie Maher especially, but Ronan as well, love the physical contact. They look for it. They like nothing better than a big catch, a bulldozer out and then a delivery. When Paudie is in full flow it is a powerful lift to a team in fairness. He just bullies opponents.

However he's not going well at the moment, and it was noticeable how many Limerick half forwards (big men themselves) were able to stop that initial burst out. Then panic stations set in and the scrappy handpassing or turnovers happened.

Cork won't have the same physicality, but they will have something that causes Tipp awful problems. Speed. Paudie, Ronan and Barry Heffernan are not fast, and if the likes of the Cork forwards start streaming down the middle, Cork will tear them asunder.

Tipps forwards have to win them this game, and I don't necessarily mean on the scoreboard. I mean in the way they will have to work to disrupt delivery to the Cork forwards. It was painful watching how much time Limerick half backs had to survey the field and play dangerous balls into Gillane or Mulcahy. Tipps backs didn't have a chance. And if Limerick were a top team like Galway, that would have been a 10-15 point defeat.

Tipperary need to find fire and intensity and workrate to go with their undoubted skill. The forwards have to work hard when they don't have the ball, hooking and blocking and harrying. They have to be prepared to win the odd ruck, or the odd high ball. The backs and midfield need to start varying the delivery. In the first half against Limerick, they did play the corners, and John McGrath and Jason Forde won ball and won frees. In the second half, they reverted to long bombs which can cause panic right enough, but if you do it every time, it loses it's effectiveness.

A major rethink, and gut check, is needed. If either fail, Cork will beat them. I wasn't surprised Limerick and Cork won last weekend, I think I said it here, and next weekend it's hard to see past Cork, but I just think there might be a reaction from Tipp, and Cork with the 2 points might not be as desperate.

You want your half backs bursting out of defence by going past their opponent and letting the ball in on a low trajectory to the forwards, but as you say unless Paudie sends his man flying after the initial hit he doesn't have the speed off the mark to round him and then you get the high clearance avoiding a block or a handpass to someone in similar traffic anyway.
The unseen work that a Bonner Maher does is missed when he's not there and even Brendan Maher does a power of work in the middle third without the ball that needs done by them all.
Callanan, Forde, Bubbles and the McGraths really need to produce the goods or Cork will run them into the ground.