Death Notices

Started by Armagh4SamAgain, April 05, 2007, 03:25:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

never kickt a ball

Quote from: Hardy on September 24, 2007, 11:03:34 PM
Just want to point out that I deleted what I'd posted not because of the pious promptings of anyone here. I think people are getting mixed up between genuine grief and sensitivity about individual deaths on one hand and the general subject of death on the other, to which a humorous and irreverent attitude is healthy, as far as I'm concerned. It's coming to all of us, you know.

Anyway, I had posted the names of some people who might merit a handicap on the basis that they're more likely than others to attract homicide and then the thought occurred that it wouldn't be nice if god forbid one of them actually did ...

Your were dead right there Hardy.  :D

5 Sams

QuoteI hear that France is going to have a minute of noise for him on Tuesday.

Ziggy...if that was an original line of your own you'll be glad to hear that Joe Brolly used it in his clolumn in Gaelic Life to day.
The Aristocrat Years

ziggysego

Quote from: 5 Sams on September 28, 2007, 02:36:06 PM
QuoteI hear that France is going to have a minute of noise for him on Tuesday.

Ziggy...if that was an original line of your own you'll be glad to hear that Joe Brolly used it in his clolumn in Gaelic Life to day.

Bastard. I expect royalities!  :D
Testing Accessibility

Lecale2

Sammy Duddy (c. 1945 - October 17, 2007) was a leading member of the Ulster Political Research Group, which provides political advice to the Ulster Defence Association.

Born as Evan Abbott Samuel Duddy, he was based in Belfast's Rathcoole estate as the North Belfast representative for the UPRG. Duddy's home was targeted for a pipe bomb attack in 2003, in an incident blamed on supporters of Johnny Adair during a Loyalist feud.

His initial role in loyalism had been during the late 1970s and early 1980s when he served as the public relations officer for the then legal UDA. Duddy went on to serve as the editor of UDA magazine Ulster for a time and published a book of poetry entitled Concrete Whirlpools of the Mind which received praise for its sensitive treatment of the problems for young working class men drawn into violence. At weekends he worked as a drag artist in working class clubs and pubs around Belfast.

Duddy retired from active loyalism in the 1990s, but was recalled by the UPRG to help rebuild their image after the collapse of the Ulster Democratic Party and the split from Adair and John White.

At the height of the fall-out in 2003, his home was hit with a pipe bomb. In 2006 shots were fired at his house in Rathcoole, north Belfast; his pet Chihuahua "Bambi" died after being hit causing Sammy to utter the immortal line "You shot my Chihuahua you bastard!".

He died in 2007, aged 62, after suffering a massive heart attack. Frankie Gallagher, a spokesman for the UPRG, stated, following Duddy's death: "He came out of retirement to pursue a peaceful path for his community and in pursuit of that he has given his life. It's a massive, massive loss for his community."

ziggysego

Was Sammy the drag act, or was that someone else?
Testing Accessibility

Hardy

I can never pass up an opportunity to tell the chihuahua joke ...

Women parks her bike at the chemists, goes in and asks for hair-removing cream.
- Try this. Apply it lightly and leave your tights off for 24 hours.

Oh, you misunderstand - it's for my chihuahua!
- Ah! In that case, I wouldn't ride the bike for a week.

Ooh yes missus.

Armagh4SamAgain

Was he a catholic?

Death of stuntman 'Evel' Knievel
Saturday, 1 December 2007 11:12

Evel Knievel, the motorcycle stuntman whose daredevil exploits made him an international icon, has died in Florida.

He was 69 and had been suffering from pulmonary fibrosis for some years.

By the time of his retirement, he had broken almost forty bones, including his back seven times, spent at least a month in a coma in 1968 and nearly died a number of times.

AdvertisementRobert Craig Knievel had retired in 1981.

Born in Butte, Montana, he said he was inspired at the age of 8 when he saw an auto daredevil show.

His personal life was at times almost as painful as his job. He had trouble with the law starting as a teenager, went through bankruptcy and was estranged for years from his son, Robbie, who also became a motorcycle daredevil.

He was dubbed 'Evil Knievel' by a jailer in Montana after crashing his motorcycle while fleeing from police. He later changed the spelling to 'Evel' as his daredevil career took off to avoid being perceived as a bad guy.

Knievel was married twice and had four children.

'We just go out to play our football and let the critics say what they want. They usually do anyway"

ziggysego

Testing Accessibility

Armagh4SamAgain

if he wasnt a catholic he mightent want us to prey fro him.
'We just go out to play our football and let the critics say what they want. They usually do anyway"

THE MIGHTY QUINN

I always had the impression, rightly or wrongly that he was a devout Catholic who went to mass and received the sacraments every day

Lecale2

Bacon

Down Championships Prediction League Winner 2009

Guillem2

US soul musician Ike Turner dies 

Turner denied claims of abuse by his former wife
US soul legend Ike Turner, the former husband of Tina Turner, has died at the age of 76.
He died at his home near San Diego, California. There was no immediate word on the cause of death.

He rose to fame in the 1960s, and is best remembered for his musical partnership and stormy marriage with Tina Turner, who said he abused her.

In later years he rehabilitated his image and won his second Grammy in February for Risin' with the Blues.

He shared his only other Grammy with Tina Turner in 1972 for their cover of Proud Mary.

"Ike Turner passed away this morning. He was at his home," said Scott Hanover, an official at the performer's management company.

'Demonised'

Michele Schweitzer, a spokeswoman for his former wife, said: "Tina is aware that Ike passed away earlier today.

To critics he will be known as a great founder, unfortunately to the general public he will always be known as a brutal man

Paul Gambaccini , broadcaster

"She has not had any contact with him in 35 years. No further comment will be made."

Turner, a member of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, is credited by many music historians with making the first rock 'n' roll record, Rocket 88, in 1951.

Broadcaster Paul Gambaccini told BBC Radio 4's Today programme: "In musical terms [he was] very important.

"Rocket 88 is one of the two records that can claim to be the first rock 'n' roll record, being the other being The Fat Man by Fats Domino from 1949," he said.

He said the track was an "indisputable claim to fame" for Mr Turner.

"To critics he will be known as a great founder, unfortunately to the general public he will always be known as a brutal man," he added.

OBITUARY

Mountain highs - and lows

Turner was also known as a prolific session guitarist and piano player.

After marrying Tina Turner in 1959, the pair produced a string of hits, including A Fool In Love and It's Gonna Work Out Fine.

The song River Deep Mountain High, produced by Phil Spector, was one of their most successful singles.

Turner's biographer, Nigel Cawthorne, said that his performances had left a political legacy behind.

"Although there had been black rock and rollers who had made it big already, they really only played to a white audience," he told the Today programme.

"Ike and Tina played to a mixed audience and he deliberately desegregated audiences in the southern states. He wouldn't play to any segregated audiences at all," he added.

But Mr Turner will be forever remembered for his turbulent relationship with Tina Turner, the BBC's Peter Bowes in Los Angeles says.

In 2001, Mr Turner denied his ex-wife's claims that he abused her and expressed frustration that he had been demonised in the media.

And - no. He wasn't Catholic A4SA.

Talking is an overrated way of communicating.

Fiodoir Ard Mhacha

Here's some of the celeb ones to check out this year:

Evil Knievel, Cyclist

Ike Turner, Musician/wife beater

Joey Bishop, Least known Rat pack member

Lois Maxwell, Mish Money Penny

Marcel Marceau, Loud-mouth artiste

Luciano Pavarotti, Fat chanter

Boris Yeltsin, Russian madman/drinker

John Inman, Freeman

Any more out there?
"Something wrong with your eyes?....