St. Molaise Gaels
Ballymote
Calry/St. Joseph's
Tourlestrane
St. Mary's
St. Farnan's
St. John's

SLIGONIAN

Is Brendan Egan back in 2011 for Sligo? Does anyone know....

Will see Johns and Calry this weekend along with Harps and ourselves, lookinh forward to it. Of what i saw the last day Mark Quinn is flying and Luke Bree looks sharp. Thinking in county terms i am convinced Quinn will do the business for Sligo at CHB, I have question marks over Harrison in my head from a corner back point of view, i wont be blinded by all star nominations, he struggled again on Heneghan again and was roasted in down, the most impressive he was for me was when he marked Clancy and Cregg in 2nd half at HB to turn the tide....
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

SLIGONIAN

Harrison again reinforced my view on his ability in the HB line and middle third. Was immense for Johns and mopped alot of loose ball for them 2nd half. Calrys defence was too loose and johns got easy enough scores. It was level when i arrived but calry only got out of there own half 3/4 times 2nd half such was the dominace of johns around the middle.

Our lads were 1-9 to 0-0 down at HT, there was loads of negatives and things have to change in my club for us to win anything but im not going into it. We showed character 2nd half and pulled it back to 1-12 to 2-4. Eoin McHugh was outstanding in the face of certain defeat he kept plugging away, running at them, passing accurately, it was akin to o hara in down tbh. Our GK made some unreal saves 1st half aswell. Harps are no great shakes and if they win the championship its a sad edictment of the standard imo. We didnt play first half at all, the stupidity i witnessed was beyond anything ive seen before. Mark Quinn got injured and i would say is a worry for Sligo Juniors, any chance Egan will play in that final?

County Board meeting tonight where we will know if Walsh is staying or going? I think Walsh will have learned alot this yr and more i think about it i hope he stays, better the devil you know than you dont know. Walsh will improve again so hopefullly he will have learned from his mistakes and we can kick on.

SLIGONIAN

Kevin Walsh is staying with us.

Mano

Good news if true. Where did you hear this?

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: Mano on August 16, 2010, 09:31:29 PM
Its public knowledge now, annouced that he has agreed to 2 more yrs.

Im glad as the more i thought about it better the devil you than you dont know. Of all the recent managers has been the best, hes has to have learned alot this yr. I know he wants mcintyre and egan in next yr as he was at the tour marys game and thats good to hear. Next yr for me will say alot more about his management, i dont really think the back to back promotions is as huge achievement as others think. Next yr in Div2 will be alot tougher.

paddypastit

Quote from: SLIGONIAN on August 17, 2010, 12:21:46 AM
Quote from: Mano on August 16, 2010, 09:31:29 PM
Its public knowledge now, annouced that he has agreed to 2 more yrs.

Im glad as the more i thought about it better the devil you than you dont know. Of all the recent managers has been the best, hes has to have learned alot this yr. I know he wants mcintyre and egan in next yr as he was at the tour marys game and thats good to hear. Next yr for me will say alot more about his management, i dont really think the back to back promotions is as huge achievement as others think. Next yr in Div2 will be alot tougher.
Sligonian - can't agree with that statement about the back to back promotions. There were any amount of banana skins in that Div 3 and given where Sligo was after three games, they had to win EVERY game from there to go up and still needed favours elsewhere so being in Div 2 is an achievement. Staying in 2 will be a bigger achievement again.
come disagree with me on http://gushtystuppencehapenny.wordpress.com/ and spread the word

paddypastit

Most of you are likely thinking championship matches this coming weekend. Being at a remove from that, I set out my thoughts last night on Sligo's season in sych with Walsh's reappointment. They are http://wp.me/pKvhf-2q, along with other musings on the season so far. something to come back to if the heads are elsewhere at the minute.
come disagree with me on http://gushtystuppencehapenny.wordpress.com/ and spread the word

SLIGONIAN

What are your thoughts on the year and where improvements can be made? Was the yr good, bad and great or whatever. I was at 26 matches in the below competitions and more since i came home in March.

Just a quick synopisis

U21 Connacht Runners up,
Senior Connacht Runners up
Division 3 Champions
u16 Manning Cup Champions
u16 Tedd Webb Runners up
All Ireland Junior Champions
All Ireland B Schools Runners up
Connacht A Schools Runners up

mc_grens

Sligonian, I sent you a PM there- if ye could have a look I'd be much obliged...

SLIGONIAN

Any opinions on the weekend club action?

Will probably head into the harps v coolera, sham gaels v balymote double in the park, as we might have to face the gaels in a relegation play off. Curious to see harps and coolera match up aswell.

What does the tour lads make of yer u16s chances in the A final against a marys team who poached both midfielders from calry and coolera? Marys have hammered every team in it so far, and it does Sligo gaa the world of good that. Interesting that both players represented sligo u16s with the same manager.

magpie seanie

Just to correct you slightly the lad from Calry was not transferred (after several county board meeting but he is now refusing to play for his club. He played midfield for Sligo in the Manning Cup final.

If I remember correctly Tourlestrane pulled a huge shock on Mary's 2 years ago in U-14 c'ship. Think they got beaten well in a league final a week later but took the championship?

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: magpie seanie on August 26, 2010, 10:02:13 PM
Just to correct you slightly the lad from Calry was not transferred (after several county board meeting but he is now refusing to play for his club. He played midfield for Sligo in the Manning Cup final.

If I remember correctly Tourlestrane pulled a huge shock on Mary's 2 years ago in U-14 c'ship. Think they got beaten well in a league final a week later but took the championship?
Apologies for that, just assumed it went through. Why was there several cb meetings over it? Bad sign of player this.

magpie seanie

He's only a young lad, I wouldn't blame him too much.

Mano

Quote from: SLIGONIAN on August 26, 2010, 03:56:52 PM
What does the tour lads make of yer u16s chances in the A final against a marys team who poached both midfielders from calry and coolera? Marys have hammered every team in it so far, and it does Sligo gaa the world of good that. Interesting that both players represented sligo u16s with the same manager.
I think our chances are slim based on the previous meetings between these teams. Marys won by 1-23 to 0-3 in the league stages of the championship which is a big deficit to make up. Its not good for Sligo GAA as most of those Marys players will probably never play senior football for their club.
Its also a little strange that out of a panel of 30, Tourlestrane only had 2 representatives on the county under 16 panel while the managers teams of St Marys and St Johns had 7 and 4 respectively.

Tourlestrane beat them in the feile competition but Marys won the championship and league

magpie seanie

Quote from: Mano on August 27, 2010, 12:06:51 PM
Quote from: SLIGONIAN on August 26, 2010, 03:56:52 PM
I think our chances are slim based on the previous meetings between these teams. Marys won by 1-23 to 0-3 in the league stages of the championship which is a big deficit to make up. Its not good for Sligo GAA as most of those Marys players will probably never play senior football for their club.
Its also a little strange that out of a panel of 30, Tourlestrane only had 2 representatives on the county under 16 panel while the managers teams of St Marys and St Johns had 7 and 4 respectively.
Tourlestrane beat them in the feile competition but Marys won the championship and league

We had 2 but one of them is being allowed to play (I still maintain illegally) for St Mary's.