Ballymote
Calry/St. Joseph's
Tourlestrane
St. Mary's
St. Farnan's
St. John's

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: Mano on August 19, 2009, 09:12:10 AM
Firstly i don't think this draw should have been made until all the group games have been decided. With all respect to Farnans Coolera can choose which route to the final they can go - face Ballymote and then John's/Mary's in the semi final and avoid the Harps or play Molaise Gaels and the Harps. Maybe i'm just been a cynic but i think the group games should have been decided first.

Quote from: SLIGONIAN on August 19, 2009, 07:54:04 AM
Quote from: Owenmoresider on August 19, 2009, 01:04:30 AM
Senior QF's:

Winner Group C (Coolera/Tourlestrane) v Ballymote
St. Molaise Gaels v Runner-up Group C (one of above duo, or Farnan's)
Eastern Harps v Calry/St. Joseph's
St. John's v St. Mary's

Semis:

Harps/Calry v SMG/Grp C RU
Johns/Marys v Ballymote/Grp C Winner

Senior relegation:

Group A - Curry, Shamrock Gaels and Castleconnor
Group B - Tubber, Easkey, Group C loser (probably St. Farnan's)

Intermediate QF's:

Bunninadden v Drumcliffe
Geevagh v Enniscrone
Mullinabreena v Owenmore Gaels
Eastern Harps v Cloonacool

semis:

Bunninadden/Drumclffe v Harps/Cloonacool
Geevagh/Enniscrone v Mullinabreena/O. Gaels

Have to be content with that, the alternatives were near certain beatings, so Mullinabreena gives us some chance at least. Can't be any worse than last year surely.

with the Gilsenans back

Where have these lads been? If they have been travelling then do they deserve a place on the team when other lads have been training away and have got ye to the quarter finals?

I agree about the draw, could have been done a week later.

On the second one I disagree, whats the point handicapping ourselves, Burns was away last yr and came back a better player and walked straight back and carried us over the line, a weaker player should be willing to sacrifice himself for the better of the team,yes its unfair but weve all been shafted in GAA at some stage. You cant begrudge lads a few months away when theyve given serious commitment last few yrs and long into the future IMO. Id start them.
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

SLIGONIAN

U18 A Championship Group A
Team 1 Score Score Team 2 Venue Comment   
St Molaise Gaels  2-14 3-8 Tubbercurry  St Molaise Gaels   
U18 A Championship Group B
Curry  2-14 0-7 Enniscrone/Kilglass  Curry   
U18 A Championship Group C
St Johns  3-8 1-9 Drumcliffe Rosses Point  St Johns   
U18 A Championship Group D
St Farnans  3-15 2-9 St Marys  St Farnans

Great Result for our minors on Monday, got the report from Dad, he said it was best game he was at all yr, said tubber kept getting goals to go ahead and we kept coming back and then pulled ahead late on. He Liam Kennedy outstanding and Johnny kelly and James Brennan MOFTM. Congrats to our lads. Best of luck in the rest of the Championship.

Mano

Quote from: SLIGONIAN on August 19, 2009, 09:46:27 AM

On the second one I disagree, whats the point handicapping ourselves, Burns was away last yr and came back a better player and walked straight back and carried us over the line, a weaker player should be willing to sacrifice himself for the better of the team,yes its unfair but weve all been shafted in GAA at some stage. You cant begrudge lads a few months away when theyve given serious commitment last few yrs and long into the future IMO. Id start them.

I know what your saying if they are better footballers then they should start however it could create a bit of disharmony in the camp if lads who have trained all summer and got the club to where they are now are suddenly disregarded. Especially in a recently amalgamated club such as Molaise Gales it could cause issues.

A few years back Gerry McGowan was kept on the sideline for a semi final when he was away for the quarters but Tourlestrane may have more strength in depth. It will be interesting if we do so again as a player has recently returned from out of the country.

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: Mano on August 19, 2009, 11:43:24 AM
Quote from: SLIGONIAN on August 19, 2009, 09:46:27 AM

I know what your saying if they are better footballers then they should start however it could create a bit of disharmony in the camp if lads who have trained all summer and got the club to where they are now are suddenly disregarded. Especially in a recently amalgamated club such as Molaise Gales it could cause issues.

A few years back Gerry McGowan was kept on the sideline for a semi final when he was away for the quarters but Tourlestrane may have more strength in depth. It will be interesting if we do so again as a player has recently returned from out of the country.

Theyre very popular among the players so cant see it being a issue but I understand your point, all these lads are around the same age and all friends so I dont think it will impact negatively. I do feel for any lad that gets dropped but when its for good of the team I think its understandable.

So Egans back, big boost to ye..

magpie seanie

Not the worst day at the office for the club today in Markievicz Park. First off our juniors battled back from 8 points down to get a draw and keep our championship hopes alive. Then our seniors qualified for the knockout stages with a win over Farnans. You could see we hadn't played for a month and hopefully the game will bring us on. We'll need to improve to beat Molaise Gaels in the quarter final.

Interesting that 5 of the 6 North Division clubs are in the SFC quarter finals. For Sligo GAA to prosper we need to get the most out of every club but especially in the populated areas of the county.

Tourlestrane and Harps ill be favourites to meet in the final but I actually think 5 can win it and the other 3 are capable of beating any of the other quarter finalists. The most open championship in years in my view.

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: magpie seanie on August 23, 2009, 12:24:47 AM
Not the worst day at the office for the club today in Markievicz Park. First off our juniors battled back from 8 points down to get a draw and keep our championship hopes alive. Then our seniors qualified for the knockout stages with a win over Farnans. You could see we hadn't played for a month and hopefully the game will bring us on. We'll need to improve to beat Molaise Gaels in the quarter final.

Interesting that 5 of the 6 North Division clubs are in the SFC quarter finals. For Sligo GAA to prosper we need to get the most out of every club but especially in the populated areas of the county.

Tourlestrane and Harps ill be favourites to meet in the final but I actually think 5 can win it and the other 3 are capable of beating any of the other quarter finalists. The most open championship in years in my view.

Looking forward to it, Im expecting a tight contest, were  pretty much strong all over if our best team is played. But are very young and Coolera have way more experience but expect our lads to put it up to yee. I think our lads will sneak a win to be honest. Hope full live coverage is on ocean fm.

SLIGONIAN

The big day is nearly upon us, I seen in the Farnans game Costello scored 2-4, so costello is back to form...needs to be watched..should be tight,  Best of Luck St Molaise Gaels..

Hope the quality of football on show in the qtrs is a high standard and I hope all games are tight. Let battle commence. Look forward to to yer reports.

I see St Molaise Gaels are the GAABOARD favourites and rightly so :P....endorsed by us now thats a compliment :D

Owenmoresider

Tourlestrane, Coolera, Harps and Mary's for me in the senior. In Intermediate Bunninadden, Geevagh, Harps and Mullinabreena to win, no surprises in store I suspect, we'll huff and puff but I doubt it'll be enough to do it. Sure beats relegation playoffs though. Speaking of which, Castleconnor, Tubber and Michael's to win those.

Stagmeister

Just logging on to wish the Ballymote lads the best of luck this weekend..the form hasnt been good so definitely up against it this weekend against Tourlestrane..but you never know..since we have been promoted to senior ..think its five yrs now we have always performed badly against the supposedly weaker teams and performed well against the strong teams so I think we can definitely give tourlestrane a run for their money..Conor Hannon, possibly the most gifted footaller Ballymote has ever produced, has been a big loss this season but Stephen Ross has been performing miracles in his absence..the rossmeister is 4-1 to score first goal...i'll be putting my bottom dollar on that!!

The Stand Side

Costello on form again with vital goal for Coolera just before half time Coolera 1-5 SMG 0-5 HT.  Worrying for SMG after going 0-5 to 0-2 ahead.

Owenmoresider

Results:

SFC quarter-finals

Ballymote 2-9 Tourlestrane 3-6
Coolera 1-14 SMG 0-9
Eastern Harps 0-12 Calry 2-6
St. Johns 0-12 St. Marys 0-9

IFC quarters

Mullinabreena 1-14 Owenmore Gaels 0-7  ::)
Eastern Harps 0-13 Cloonacool 0-6
Bunninadden 0-12 Drumcliffe 1-6
Geevagh 0-12 Enniscrone 0-9

SFC relegation

Tubbercurry 3-12 Easkey 1-9
Shamrock Gaels 2-11 Castleconnor 1-10

IFC relegation

St Michaels 4-11 Curry 2-6

The usual story for us yesterday. Was looking like we were keeping in touch (1-6 to 0-5) coming up to half time, despite their forwards being on top in their individual battles, but a red card for one of our key men, and two Mullinabreena points before the break, killed us. Second half went as expected. Another year gone. The second game was even less competitive. Harps had it won after 20-odd minutes, Cloonacool look worse than a Junior team, at least we know there's one team we might have a chance of beating next year, it could be the relegation final. The two games today had the expected winners, but not a lot in it.

Some surprises in senior. Coolera had a good win over SMG, Costello the key man. Ballymote supposedly could have won, had the momentum towards the end, but Tour got a draw and might make the most of it next weekend. Same for Harps who were two down late on, but survived to get a replay. Must be worrying for Harps though, one bad performance is one thing, but that's two now. Will probably win the replay, but Coolera might not give them another chance. John's sneaked through in the town derby, the dark horses and must secretly fancy a tilt at the title, the way things are going you couldn't dismiss them yet. Castleconnor's stay in senior is almost over, need to beat Curry now, and I can't see it happening. Easkey and Farnan's will be a big relegation dogfight, Tubber look like being ok.

SLIGONIAN

Congrats to Coolera firstly, hope they win it now. When I seen Costello scored 2-4 last week and the one of Gilsenans wasnt back I was worried. We made a good start and the bringing out to CHF of costello seemed to turn the game, Johnny Kelly had kept him quiet, from what I heard could of got a goal early to push further ahead and once Coolera got there  noses in front showed there experience and kept ahead. Disappointed with the scoreline, and though Quinn would do better on Costello, so maybe I need re evalute my opinion on him for county. Pity, heard ref was harsh on us but it didnt change outcome. Weve made progress this yr and commitment was good so hope can build on this, the manager is limited but no one can fault his effort from what Ive heard.

Suprised at the 2 draws in the Qtrs, I heard a certain ref favoured balymote to keep them in it. Tourlestrane the better side and should win replay. Fair play to Calry putting it up to harps, John sqeauked through against marys, so should be good semis who ever comes through the replays.

Bunnies still favs for the intermediates. Geevagh will be there main threat althoug Coolaney should of beaten us last yr the standard was poor so they cant be written off either.

Hornet Violet

Was at Ballymote game Sligonian and they had a perfectly legitimate goal disallowed on the stroke of half time. Ref wasnt great he blew for every little niggle but wasnt biased. If Mcgowan scored penalty Tour would have went on to win but Ballymote fought back well to equalise and were unlucky themselves not to score a goal through Doddy which may have swung the game in their favour. Actually a good game with plenty of drama. Agree that once Coolera were ahead their experience showed.

Mano

Quote from: Hornet Violet on August 31, 2009, 01:26:56 PM
Was at Ballymote game Sligonian and they had a perfectly legitimate goal disallowed on the stroke of half time. Ref wasnt great he blew for every little niggle but wasnt biased. If Mcgowan scored penalty Tour would have went on to win but Ballymote fought back well to equalise and were unlucky themselves not to score a goal through Doddy which may have swung the game in their favour. Actually a good game with plenty of drama. Agree that once Coolera were ahead their experience showed.
Welcome to the board Horent Violet.

However i must ask you about the penalty awarded to Ballymote near the end. Do you think it was justified or was it biased towards Ballymote?
From his writings in the weekender the referee has on a number of occasions criticised Tourlestrane (in particular after county final 2005). That dislike of Tourlestrane shone through in that particular decision and perhaps there is a conflict of interest in him refereeing matches and then reporting on them in the local newspaper the following week.

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: Mano on August 31, 2009, 02:08:33 PM
Quote from: Hornet Violet on August 31, 2009, 01:26:56 PM
Welcome to the board Horent Violet.

However i must ask you about the penalty awarded to Ballymote near the end. Do you think it was justified or was it biased towards Ballymote?
From his writings in the weekender the referee has on a number of occasions criticised Tourlestrane (in particular after county final 2005). That dislike of Tourlestrane shone through in that particular decision and perhaps there is a conflict of interest in him refereeing matches and then reporting on them in the local newspaper the following week.

The above isnt my opinion but, it is that of a well respected neutral. I have to agree with manos take on it from knowing that ref personnally. Wouldnt have him ref a match involving tourletrane, the peno decision was mentioned to me and it wasnt one. It would be akin to me reffing a match involving mayo. Dont get me wrong, I have no bias towards either balymote or tour, glad it was good tight game with plenty of drama.