St. Molaise Gaels
Ballymote
Calry/St. Joseph's
Tourlestrane
St. Mary's
St. Farnan's
St. John's

SLIGONIAN

I dont care what anyone says, the referees today both were atrocious towards us. Yes we should of been out of sight at HT but that IS NOT an excuse for the digraceful referring today. Most ordinary citizens were appalled from our side not fanatics like me.  

No one can deny it not even coolaney people who i know and my friend from roscommon said what the refs were at was quiet blantant against us. I take a useless ref who is fair but I will never accept refs who are useless and bias. If they were bad for both sides i could accept it but despite anyone elses suggested they bad for us and good for coolaney.

There is no excuse for this, it was blantant and if my 80 yr old granny can see it well it speaks volumes. Yes we have to take responsibilty for our own performance but our lads got treated digracefully out there and NO ONE can condone that.

Yes we were poor and we did get out of jail but at least there was an honesty in it and effort in what our lads tried to do. We shouldnt have to put with this. The next day who will be the ref, All i want is fair man in the middle simple as that.

Seriously though OMS your suggesting the ref was merely poor for both sides and that he didnt favour coolaney at all. I am I correct in my interpretation of your view?

Should a team who has a bad day at the office to just accept bias ref merely because they should of won the game anyway? Is it fair that a ref can use that as an excuse for his performance? "ah well i did me best for coolaney but SMG lads should of won anyway, despite my efforts to make them lose"

JJJ leaving the fact the we have to take responsibilty for ourselves in our poor showing which i agree with, Did you think yourself that both refs were bias against us or not?
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

magpie seanie

Absolutely gutted today. Our lads played some great stuff at times but somehow we left it behind us and will have to wait another year. Credit to Tubber. They stuck to their task gamely throughout and got the scores at the vital times. They have phenomonenal pace, courage and great attitude. Most seem to think Harps will win the final but if they do they will have to survive a stern test. This is a good Tubber team.

I still find it hard to believe that we lost the game with some of the football we played. We just have to build onthis and come back stronger next year.

On referees - personally I try to avoid speaking about them as it is seen as sour grapes by some. It is a tough job to be fair. To win championships you have to be able to rise above these things though. You have to be able to deal with setbacks. That's the way I try to look at it (I don't always feel that way it must be said). I hear O'Donnell has stated that this is his last year refereeing for what its worth. I doubt Sligonian will be trying to encourage him to change his mind!

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: magpie seanie on September 29, 2008, 11:27:19 AM
Absolutely gutted today. Our lads played some great stuff at times but somehow we left it behind us and will have to wait another year. Credit to Tubber. They stuck to their task gamely throughout and got the scores at the vital times. They have phenomonenal pace, courage and great attitude. Most seem to think Harps will win the final but if they do they will have to survive a stern test. This is a good Tubber team.

I still find it hard to believe that we lost the game with some of the football we played. We just have to build onthis and come back stronger next year.

On referees - personally I try to avoid speaking about them as it is seen as sour grapes by some. It is a tough job to be fair. To win championships you have to be able to rise above these things though. You have to be able to deal with setbacks. That's the way I try to look at it (I don't always feel that way it must be said). I hear O'Donnell has stated that this is his last year refereeing for what its worth. I doubt Sligonian will be trying to encourage him to change his mind!

I dont want to be talking about refs either after games but its hard not too, even though we beat harps i saw the ref as poor towards us so its not sour grapes, had we won yday i would of been just as critical. Its very frustrating and angering and it has to highlighted IMO and not tippy toed around, Yday was an easy game to ref.

Just speaking to some of our club players this morning aswell, and they feel as strongly as i do regards the bias of refs yday, but seanie theyve taken your atitude which its a huge setback but our lads have accepted it and if we have beat 16 we gonna have dig deeper and make sure our performance gets back to the harps game, We beat 16 that day too so it can be done. Weve accepted were not guarnteed a fair ref at this stage. Theyre will be no chance of over confidence in our camp next day and hopefullly that will have us in a better mental frame for the game.

I wont be encouraging odonnell to change his mind :'(, but mcdermott was worse >:(. For any of looking for laugh yee should read the report of the game in Sligogaa.ie, its taken from coolaneys website, im nearly sure now the same clown is running both websites, he wouldnt post my good luck SMG message last week. It says in braket (both refs had good games) they did surely for coolaney ;).

SLIGONIAN

The C.C.C. have fixed the replay of the McCormack's Fuels Intermediate Final as Follows.

Saturday 11-October-08

McCormack Fuels - Intermediate Championship

Final Replay

Coolaney/Mullinabreena  V          St Molaise Gaels      Markievicz Park    4:00 PM

Best of Luck St Molaise Gaels.

SLIGONIAN

The Final of the 2008 Sligo Estates Senior Championship will take place on Sunday 5th October. It will be preceded by the Minor "A" Final between Curry & Calry/St.Joseph's at 2.00pm

Senior Football Championship

Eastern Harps v Tubbercurry
Markievicz Park
16:00

Id advise everyone to get in early to watch the minor game, im expecting a cracker. Looking forward to both.

Teeling Gael

Actually thought Kieran O Donnell was a deceptively good ref albeit at Division 3/4 standard but by all accounts he wasnt alone in having a bad game on Sunday in a dissappointing final. Hopefully for Mholaisses , the result will have knocked any complacency out of them but then again Coolaney may now truly believe they can win.

Should be a very attractive senior final on Sunday with Harps slight favourites against a Tubber team improving by the game.

Ray Hannon was standout minor at centre half back on Sligo minor team that lost the 98 minor final to Leitrim. Has always looked a cclassy player. Of the 3 intermediate forwards you mentioned Sligonian, I dont think any of them would make it at intercounty football and indeed think they are a step below intercounty level with Taafe being the closest. But they are probably worth a look at an old fashion trial. What we should be trying to unearth is big strong aggressive forwards as we seem to have an adunbance of "nice classy" footballers who lack the pace and agression for intercounty football

magpie seanie

TG - didn't think you'd be posting today! Congrats!

Teeling Gael

Thanks Seanie. Postings around midnight are normally the domain of Sligonian and OMS but wasnt required for the every important hand holding duties at that stage so was trying to keep busy. The joys of been 5 minutes from the hospital should never be understated. As one wit said yesterday , I am building a tag rugby team rather than  a GAA team (regardless they would all want to inherit a bit of pace from their mothers side though !!).

Between the above and Sligonians father and indeed in recent posts his granny , we are in danger of turning this forum into a family orientated forum rather than that of Sligo Club Football and Hurling !!

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: Teeling Gael on October 01, 2008, 10:03:17 AM
Thanks Seanie. Postings around midnight are normally the domain of Sligonian and OMS but wasnt required for the every important hand holding duties at that stage so was trying to keep busy. The joys of been 5 minutes from the hospital should never be understated. As one wit said yesterday , I am building a tag rugby team rather than  a GAA team (regardless they would all want to inherit a bit of pace from their mothers side though !!).

Between the above and Sligonians father and indeed in recent posts his granny , we are in danger of turning this forum into a family orientated forum rather than that of Sligo Club Football and Hurling !!

Congrats Teeling Gael. We need a few more physical players for Sligo and them being born into a stauch GAA mans family is always good news. I hope to have a family of 10 boys myself and Sligo should benefit from 3 or 4 Sligonians playing for us :D. It'll be great on here aswell ;D.

My Mum was at the game too but I felt my grannys comments when we met back after the game gets my point across with a little extra weight. Unfortunetly my Mum and Granny wont be going to too many more after watching that and I dont blame them. The great thing in the replay its a opportunity for the players and whoever the ref is to put things right after last day. Hopefully both teams play better and the ref has a good game for both teams this time.

Talking to one of players today, sometimes when something bad happens it can be a blessing in disguise. I spoke at length about henrys referring performance the week before, and mark quinn getting 2 yellows and 5 or 6 others getting one all for mouthing. But it prepared our lads for the final, where it was spoken at length to keep the mouth shut and it worked with no mouthing the last day. Coolaney got alot frees second half just outside the scoring zone, some crazy decisions but our lads held the heads and it was vital. I must congratulate our lads on that because its not easy.

Our management rotating 5 of our 6 forwards, from the harps to final 6 days later too lies an opportunity to put that error right. It backfired and wasnt logical to change things so drastically after harps performance.

Just to give yee an idea what happened, Eoin mchugh played FF aginst harps started wing forward in final, was in a channel where no ball was coming thus taking him out of game. Darren Gilsenan started at wing forward against harps , started corner forward in final. Dara Currid moved from centre half to wing half after a good display at harps. Damien McGloin started corner forward against harps and moved to Full forward. Peter wilson started midfield against harps and played CHF last day who helped burns and quinn midfield aswell. Leaving Feeney the only man to stay put in the forward line. Is it any wonder we hit 15 approx wides? and looked poor up front whilst our ff line was left very isolated by our own players support and supply wise it has to be said and feeney was coming way to deep to ball leaving himself out of range but also his man marker did a great job.

SLIGONIAN

Following a meeting of C.C.C. Shligigh the following draws were made for the 2008 Under 20 Championships.

The Top team in each group will qualify for the Final. There will be no playoffs.

First named Team have home advantage.

Rule 117 (5)

(c) Where Teams finish with equal points for Qualification for the Concluding Stages, or for Promotion or Relegation, the tie shall be decided by the following means and in the order specified:

(i) Scoring Difference (subtracting the total Scores Against from total Scores For).

(ii) Highest Total Score For.

(iii) Where two Teams only are involved – the outcome of the meeting of the two Teams in the previous game in the Competition.

(iv) Scoring Average (divide total Score Against into total Score For).

U-20 A Championship

round 1

Group 1

St Johns                       V  Curry                           Sun 12-Oct-08

St Molaise Gaels            V  Tubbercurry/Cloonacool Sun 12-Oct-08

Group 2

Coolera/Strandhill          V  Calry/St Josephs           Sun 12-Oct-08 

Tourlestrane                 V  Eastern Harps               Sun 12-Oct-08 

round 2

Group 1

Tubbercurry/Cloonacool V  St Johns                       Sun 19-Oct-08 

Curry                           V  St Molaise Gaels            Sun 19-Oct-08 

Group 2

Eastern Harps               V  Coolera/Strandhill         Sun 19-Oct-08 

Calry/St Josephs           V  Tourlestrane                 Sun 19-Oct-08

round 3

Group 1

Tubbercurry/Cloonacool V  Curry                           Sun 26-Oct-08

St Molaise Gaels            V  St Johns                       Sun 26-Oct-08 

Group 2

Tourlestrane                 V  Coolera/Strandhill         Sun 26-Oct-08 

Calry/St Josephs           V  Eastern Harps               Sun 26-Oct-08

U-20 B Championship

round 1

Group 1

Shamrock Gaels            V  Owenmore Gaels           Sun 12-Oct-08 

St Marys                       V  St Patricks                    Sun 12-Oct-08

Group 2                               

Geevagh                       V  Drumcliffe Rosses Pt      Sun 12-Oct-08

Bunninadden a bye

round 2

Group 1

Owenmore Gaels           V  St Marys                       Sun 19-Oct-08 

St Patricks                    V  Shamrock Gaels            Sun 19-Oct-08

Group 2

Drumcliffe Rosses Pt      V  Bunninadden                 Sun 19-Oct-08

Geevagh a bye

round 3

Group 1

Shamrock Gaels            V  St Marys                       Sun 26-Oct-08

St Patricks                    V  Owenmore Gaels           Sun 26-Oct-08 

Group 2

Bunninadden                 V  Geevagh                      Sun 26-Oct-08

Drumcliffe/Rosses Point a bye

Finals to be played 8th/9th November

Owenmoresider

So the big one is on tomorrow, Harps have looked primed to win it out all year, and will be the favourites. The semi games will have brought them on considerably, after an easy route up to then, though they could do with more scoring support to back up Taylor's regular contribution. Midfield didn't impress v Curry, but then it appears that Tubber's own pairing wasn't hectic v Coolera, so it remains to be seen how that battle will pan out. Tubber came a long way from the shambles of Brennan's departure (doesn't say too much for him seeing how they have gone since), plus the c'ship tie v Curry, and have shown good scoring form en route to the final. A relatively young team too, so they could be around for a while, but I'd be surprised if they win tomorrow, may be too soon for them, and Harps have tossed away enough chances to win Owen B in recent years up to now, and surely their time has come. Harps' 6th title, by three/four points.

Minor final will be a good affair I'm sure. Didn't see the semis, but Curry would seem to be the stronger side, and may well make it back-to-back titles.

Congrats etc. to TG and all concerned. Looks like our U20's will get a few trimmings going on that draw, no doubt they'll put in the same effort as previous years, just to make sure.

jjjshabadoojnr

Quote from: SLIGONIAN on September 28, 2008, 10:47:56 PM
I dont care what anyone says, the referees today both were atrocious towards us. Yes we should of been out of sight at HT but that IS NOT an excuse for the digraceful referring today. Most ordinary citizens were appalled from our side not fanatics like me.  

No one can deny it not even coolaney people who i know and my friend from roscommon said what the refs were at was quiet blantant against us. I take a useless ref who is fair but I will never accept refs who are useless and bias. If they were bad for both sides i could accept it but despite anyone elses suggested they bad for us and good for coolaney.

There is no excuse for this, it was blantant and if my 80 yr old granny can see it well it speaks volumes. Yes we have to take responsibilty for our own performance but our lads got treated digracefully out there and NO ONE can condone that.

Yes we were poor and we did get out of jail but at least there was an honesty in it and effort in what our lads tried to do. We shouldnt have to put with this. The next day who will be the ref, All i want is fair man in the middle simple as that.

Seriously though OMS your suggesting the ref was merely poor for both sides and that he didnt favour coolaney at all. I am I correct in my interpretation of your view?

Should a team who has a bad day at the office to just accept bias ref merely because they should of won the game anyway? Is it fair that a ref can use that as an excuse for his performance? "ah well i did me best for coolaney but SMG lads should of won anyway, despite my efforts to make them lose"

JJJ leaving the fact the we have to take responsibilty for ourselves in our poor showing which i agree with, Did you think yourself that both refs were bias against us or not?

I totally agree that both refs were atrocious. You dont have to tell me about O'Donnells refereeing skills or lack of them after my run in with him early this year. He always lets the craziest of tackles go unpunished or ticked whereas he will pull you up all the time for technical fouls, etc.
As for Pat Dan, he can do all the pounding of the treadmill in the clarion that he likes, it will never make him a good ref.
Sligonian, I know the refs were atrocious. Feargal and John O'Flaherty were beside me along with the bunninadden crew and they could not believe the biias they were seeing towards CM, but do you think that this would be an issue if our lads had performed to even 75% of thier ability? You cannot blame the ref for us not turning up.
I would think the lads were disgusted with the ref but in all likelyhood they were prob bulling more about thier own performance. Cathal Burns was only man that performed near his ability. The full back line were fairly good (three that finished up there anyway), but other than that , I am struggling to come up with names.
Thats my opinion anyway.
Heading for park now, looking forward to both games, unbeleivable day. Have a funny feeling that this might be a draw. Time will tell.

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: jjjshabadoojnr on October 05, 2008, 01:36:43 PM
Quote from: SLIGONIAN on September 28, 2008, 10:47:56 PM

I totally agree that both refs were atrocious. You dont have to tell me about O'Donnells refereeing skills or lack of them after my run in with him early this year. He always lets the craziest of tackles go unpunished or ticked whereas he will pull you up all the time for technical fouls, etc.
As for Pat Dan, he can do all the pounding of the treadmill in the clarion that he likes, it will never make him a good ref.
Sligonian, I know the refs were atrocious. Feargal and John O'Flaherty were beside me along with the bunninadden crew and they could not believe the biias they were seeing towards CM, but do you think that this would be an issue if our lads had performed to even 75% of thier ability? You cannot blame the ref for us not turning up.
I would think the lads were disgusted with the ref but in all likelyhood they were prob bulling more about thier own performance. Cathal Burns was only man that performed near his ability. The full back line were fairly good (three that finished up there anyway), but other than that , I am struggling to come up with names.
Thats my opinion anyway.
Heading for park now, looking forward to both games, unbeleivable day. Have a funny feeling that this might be a draw. Time will tell.

The reason I asked a direct question was so get a direct answer. I just wanted it put to bed that i wasnt over exagerating the bias of the refs in question despite what another poster was trying insinuate so im glad its clear what happened now.

I agree on us though aswell, the ref had nothing to do with us not turning up but we shouldnt be punished for that. The Harps game we performed to 80% of our potential and we beat harps comfortably even with a poor ref towards us so it reinforces your view. Heres to better day the next day.

SLIGONIAN

Harps 1-16 Tubber 1-8

Disappointing game especially 2nd half. Harps are very good side with a great ethic and really work hard for each other. My Man of the Match was no 11 rafferty. I thought he was outstanding, time after time he won prime possession and ran at tubber, he angles of runs and speed and sharpness are great to watch, never wastes a ball.

Paul Taylor is still a class act, i was disappionted with mcgee at fb but taylor is so clever, its just an awful shame county football just wouldnt suit him because he has the talent not the pace though.

First harps started brightly with harps playing the better, more accurate in possesion. For me tubbers undoing was there passing especially out of defence and supply to the forwards. It just was never that consistent or favouring of there own players. Harps 4-1 after 10 mins. Then tubber rallied and pulled ahead with a great score from mcgee with his left foot. Tubber missed fatal frees at the start, it was strange bringing mcdonagh up from half back to take them and he missed a easy free then the next move scored a cracker with the left foot moments later. Walshe then missed 2 scorables but was striking well from the grround. 5-4 to tubber coming up to half time. Harps got a cheap goal from very open defending from tubber but was finished well by the harps forward. Both teams traded scores with the pick another mcgee effort but t taylor too got a fine with his right running a full tilt. 1-5 to 0-6 at ht.

The start of the 2nd half you could see harps were up for it. Seem more hungry. And got a score straight away from tight angle with P taylor slotting over. Then tubber got a messy goal, long range effort from mcgee and harps keeper dealt with it poorly and kelly finished it. But harps reacted well getting 2 quick scores and upped the pace winning lots of breaks and rafferty weaving in and out and space openeed up in the tubber defence. Harps went on the rampage with possible goal chances taking there points. T taylor an easy one and cryan one. Cryan got some good 45s aswell.  Walshe replied for tubber with 2 long range frees but harps were unstoppable with p taylor getting another good score from play and free.

Best of luck Harps in connacht. Well able to do the county proud. Harps play the leitrim champs this weekend and i think glencar/manor won that.

Gilmartin had a very quiet game for tubber, the corner back did well on kelly. McGee did well first half but missed a few chances 2nd half. Tubber missed fatal chances 1st half and it cost them. Curran played well first half but faded alarmingly 2nd half. Tubber just never really came out 2nd half but Harps after so many close calls in yrs previous were always going to up it. Ogrady for harps was held well by his opponent, still not sure about him. Donovan did well on walshe from play.

Thought Tony Taylor did his job getting 2 scores and linking the play. It was aday where alot of breaks were won. Mcgovern was quiet to my eyes but sometimes it was hard to see what player was on ball from high in the terrace.

magpie seanie

Did anyone see the incident that happened at the end of the game? From reports I hear it was a disgusting act and action should be taken.

Congrats to Harps and Curry. Both were probably the favourites from the outset and justified that. Would have loved to see how we would have fared but we'll have to wait until next year. 2008 will be remembered in our club at the year of the semi final defeat. U-16, minor and senior championship semi finals lost.