Reopen the railways

Started by Eamonnca1, July 27, 2023, 04:31:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

seafoid

Most freight has emissions levels that are no longer acceptable. Climate change will change everything. Rail is a relatively simple change unless for FG heads.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Main Street

I hear my train a comin', it's rolling 'round the bend (well almost),
I haven't seen a train since I don't know when.

And now
the signal shed is still in decent nick though the station could do with a once over.

armaghniac

If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Eamonnca1

Quote from: armaghniac on July 27, 2023, 11:47:16 PM
Quote from: Eamonnca1 on July 27, 2023, 11:22:09 PM
Quote from: armaghniac on July 27, 2023, 10:40:41 PM
Quote from: Eamonnca1 on July 27, 2023, 07:38:00 PM
That Armagh-Keady line should be reopenable, and it would indeed go right beside the Atheltic Grounds where you could put in a halt. Most of the old route through the middle of Armagh is surprisingly clear. It'd be a bit tricky to get a new route past the houses on Rock Rd that were built on top of the old alignment, but not impossible. Might be better to just pick a new route to Keady, but it would be sensational to see modern trains running on the Tassagh Viaduct.

That line was one of the last to open and the section to 'Blayney was only open for 12 years. So it was probably the least feasible line in Ireland. However, I think the Tassagh viaduct was one of the first concrete railway viaducts in Ireland. If you reopen it then you'd have have a slight problem getting into the stand in the Athletic grounds.
Correct, I think it was the shortest-lived line. Times are different now though. There's a tourist industry that wasn't there when the line was operating, so connecting Armagh to Dublin via Dundalk would have more value today.

You could rebuild the line through the Lisummon tunnel and hope that the trains can go up the hill nowadays.
How many tourists go on the train from Dublin to Kilkenny each day?

The Lisummon tunnel is on the old Armagh-Newry via Markethill line. The only thing on top of that route is Hunter's shop in Markethill that was extended in the wrong direction. Markethill station is still there and I think it's a private residence now. If the Armagh-Newry road gets busy enough then you'd see more pressure to reopen that line, but reopening Portadown-Armagh would need to happen first.

armaghniac

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on July 31, 2023, 09:35:05 PM
Quote from: armaghniac on July 27, 2023, 11:47:16 PM
Quote from: Eamonnca1 on July 27, 2023, 11:22:09 PM
Quote from: armaghniac on July 27, 2023, 10:40:41 PM
Quote from: Eamonnca1 on July 27, 2023, 07:38:00 PM
That Armagh-Keady line should be reopenable, and it would indeed go right beside the Atheltic Grounds where you could put in a halt. Most of the old route through the middle of Armagh is surprisingly clear. It'd be a bit tricky to get a new route past the houses on Rock Rd that were built on top of the old alignment, but not impossible. Might be better to just pick a new route to Keady, but it would be sensational to see modern trains running on the Tassagh Viaduct.

That line was one of the last to open and the section to 'Blayney was only open for 12 years. So it was probably the least feasible line in Ireland. However, I think the Tassagh viaduct was one of the first concrete railway viaducts in Ireland. If you reopen it then you'd have have a slight problem getting into the stand in the Athletic grounds.
Correct, I think it was the shortest-lived line. Times are different now though. There's a tourist industry that wasn't there when the line was operating, so connecting Armagh to Dublin via Dundalk would have more value today.

You could rebuild the line through the Lisummon tunnel and hope that the trains can go up the hill nowadays.
How many tourists go on the train from Dublin to Kilkenny each day?

The Lisummon tunnel is on the old Armagh-Newry via Markethill line. The only thing on top of that route is Hunter's shop in Markethill that was extended in the wrong direction. Markethill station is still there and I think it's a private residence now. If the Armagh-Newry road gets busy enough then you'd see more pressure to reopen that line, but reopening Portadown-Armagh would need to happen first.

Also one of the first lines to close to passengers. Not many people want to go to Armagh.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Eamonnca1

I dunno, the roads in and out of it always seem plenty busy enough.