The IRISH RUGBY thread

Started by Donnellys Hollow, October 27, 2009, 05:26:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dinny Breen

Quote from: magpie seanie on March 14, 2018, 10:36:03 AM
Quote from: Dinny Breen on March 14, 2018, 10:28:12 AM
Dillane is in the squad, would have featured against Italy except for the death of his mother. Just another example of the depth Schmidt is creating:- Henderson 26, Dillane 24, Ryan 21. It's why Donnacha Ryan 34 didn't get a national contract.

Schmidt is not making the players. The provinces are. If anything he was too slow to blood lads but thankfully has learned the lesson. The depth in Irish rugby at the moment is significant.

Ryan was offered a contract but it was for buttons. You'd have to question Best getting one at 35 by that rationale.

The facts don't back up that assertion. Just look at Ryan who played for Ireland before Leinster, Porter, Stockdale and Lamour from this season alone. Dillane, Van De Flier, Carberry etc He is in year 5 and has given 50 1st caps.

Ryan wasn't offered a national contract but a provincial one with Munster and it wasn't for buttons either. Ryan made a personal choice to go to France.

Hooker is a concern going forward.
#newbridgeornowhere

Walter Cronc

Quote from: Dinny Breen on March 14, 2018, 10:58:54 AM
Quote from: square_ball on March 14, 2018, 10:32:30 AM
Quote from: Dinny Breen on March 14, 2018, 10:14:58 AM
Ringrose is 1st choice when fit and available.

Yeah I'd agree with that too. Although the way rugby is played now it's impossible to pick a preferred first choice 15 with the amount of injuries. The squad depth at the moment is incredible bar the obvious drop in quality in replacements at 9 & 10 (only because they are amongst the worlds best in their position)

The drop off from Murray to Marmion is incredible and I like Marmion, wouldn't be a fan of McGrath. Murray is player of the tournament for me.

I think Cooney should have got more game time this 6 nations. Hes been outstanding behind an awful Ulster pack all season. McGrath has a world class pack to play behind.

It would show real balls if Schmidt left Murray and Sexton at home this summer and made Carberry his first choice 10 and let the other lads battle it out for 9.

Jim_Murphy_74

Ryan was offered a contract but it was for buttons. You'd have to question Best getting one at 35 by that rationale.

It would appear that Joe and his team feel Rory will still be the man come WC 2019.

No real reason to think he won't be.

/Jim.

Syferus

Best is so anonymous. Do we really lose anything by starting Cronin? I think he carries a much better treat from play too.

Dinny Breen

Quote from: Jim_Murphy_74 on March 14, 2018, 11:24:30 AM

It would appear that Joe and his team feel Rory will still be the man come WC 2019.

No real reason to think he won't be.

/Jim.

Best is a leader and just a hard nosed f*ck.
#newbridgeornowhere

Dinny Breen

Quote from: Syferus on March 14, 2018, 11:26:09 AM
Best is so anonymous. Do we really lose anything by starting Cronin? I think he carries a much better treat from play too.

Ignorance.
#newbridgeornowhere

Jim_Murphy_74

Quote from: Dinny Breen on March 14, 2018, 11:07:50 AM
Dillane is in the squad, would have featured against Italy except for the death of his mother. Just another example of the depth Schmidt is creating:- Henderson 26, Dillane 24, Ryan 21. It's why Donnacha Ryan 34 didn't get a national contract.

Schmidt is not making the players. The provinces are. If anything he was too slow to blood lads but thankfully has learned the lesson. The depth in Irish rugby at the moment is significant.

The facts don't back up that assertion. Just look at Ryan who played for Ireland before Leinster, Porter, Stockdale and Lamour from this season alone. Dillane, Van De Flier, Carberry etc He is in year 5 and has given 50 1st caps.

Correct, some of the above were brought to Ireland camps very early in the careers after being picked out by Schmidt.  He has been conservative to date but results are on his side.  Of course surpassing our record of quarter-finals in World Cup is the remaining acid test.

/Jim.

Syferus

Quote from: Dinny Breen on March 14, 2018, 11:27:01 AM

Ignorance.

I see some pretty damn wonky throwing from our captain most matches. Knowing Schmidt he thinks he's somehow much better than Cronin at the busy work but I wouldn't be so convinced.

Dinny Breen

Quote from: Jim_Murphy_74 on March 14, 2018, 11:27:13 AM

Correct, some of the above were brought to Ireland camps very early in the careers after being picked out by Schmidt.  He has been conservative to date but results are on his side.  Of course surpassing our record of quarter-finals in World Cup is the remaining acid test.

/Jim.

3 championships in 5 years is a far greater achievement than failure to win 2 one-off games. 6 nations is the bread and butter.
#newbridgeornowhere

GaillimhIarthair

Quote from: Dinny Breen on March 14, 2018, 11:30:22 AM

/Jim.

3 championships in 5 years is a far greater achievement than failure to win 2 one-off games. 6 nations is the bread and butter.
Agreed, BUT, we need to progress past a WC Qtr Final at the very least next time round - we have underachieved in a couple of WC's to this point.

Walter Cronc

AZOffaly

Quote from: Syferus on March 14, 2018, 11:29:21 AM
Quote from: Dinny Breen on March 14, 2018, 11:27:01 AM

Ignorance.

I see some pretty damn wonky throwing from our captain most matches. Knowing Schmidt he thinks he's somehow much better than Cronin at the busy work but I wouldn't be so convinced.

The only issue I have with Best is his lineout consistency. It's probably been the chink in his armour for a few years. Around the pitch, and in the scrum, he seems solid enough.

AZOffaly

Quote from: Walter Cronc on March 14, 2018, 11:41:36 AM
Anyone heading to Japan?

I doubt it. Typical Joe Pro-Leinster bias!

Sweeper 123

and we would know who is better - I think Joe is getting it pretty right on; Best is a great player

Dinny Breen

Quote from: GaillimhIarthair on March 14, 2018, 11:41:06 AM
Quote from: Dinny Breen on March 14, 2018, 11:30:22 AM

/Jim.

Agreed, BUT, we need to progress past a WC Qtr Final at the very least next time round - we have underachieved in a couple of WC's to this point.

I don't disagree but I wouldn't get hung up on the WC as higher barometer of success than consistency in the 6 nations. It's too easy a stick to beat people with.
#newbridgeornowhere