Ulster Scotch

Started by Square Ball, December 31, 2006, 10:31:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Square Ball

Would West Belfast Millies qualify for a government grant? tell you what, you need a translator for some of the stuff they come out with
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

MW

Glad to see the time I took making my post and adding links and references were so worthwhile ::)

Flameboy

awww....

poor mw....

I took the time to read them but i cant accept that any aspect of "Ulster Scots Culture" is either valid or worthwhile.....

except for following phrase "Brand new Shoppin Cenner in Ballymena Hi!!"......

dubnut

Quote from: MW on January 02, 2007, 02:01:21 PM
Glad to see the time I took making my post and adding links and references were so worthwhile ::)

Sorry MW, I fully agree, seing as how you posted links  ::)

MW

Quote from: dubnut on January 02, 2007, 01:35:35 PM
"Basically every poster on here has fallen into the trap of thinking this is an Ulster issue. Sorry folks, but it ain't. You're falling into the good old trap this place produces of being insular and parochial"

Try to be just a little bit more patronising there BW  ::)

Well if people aren't prepared to think outside the 'Ulster box' (to use a clumsy turn of phrase) and even look a few score miles east, and happily trot out their own uninfomred assumptions, then they deserve to be patronised...

I couldnt give a crap if its Ulster, Yorkshire, or feckin Timbuktu, its an accent written down as its spoken, you could do the same with any accent.
To call it a language is laughable, its certainly the first language I was ever fluent at first glance!
Ye ken?

Imagine if you were a Dutchman, able to read Flemish - would you assert it wasn't a language?

What makes a language in your book?

I haven't actually got a 'hard' position on Ulster Scots, or Scots more generally, in terms of the definition of a language - I'd just prefer people to put a bit of thought into their pronoucements (and that goes for the likes of Lord Laird too).

Flameboy

who is lord laird?

just what r u saying MW....are you seriously trying to assert that ulster scots is a language???

MW

Quote from: Flameboy on January 02, 2007, 02:03:28 PM
I took the time to read them but i cant accept that any aspect of "Ulster Scots Culture" is either valid or worthwhile.....

That's a pretty sad reflection on your attitude.

AZOffaly

Did ye read the Scots language website MW posted? It looks like a dyslexic lad trying to write English. I take his point though, that it is obviously not unique to Northern Ireland, and looks like it even originated in Scotland.

But you can find out more by ...

Contactin yer MSPs

Ye can scrieve til the Memmers o the Scottish Pairlament that has been electit for tae represent ye. Their contact details can be foond in the MSPs section o wir wabsite, although yon section o the wabsite is in English by its lane.

Flameboy

why is that sad MW????

Also lets be honest...

the indiginous language of scotland is Celtic Gaelic as spoken by ourselves....

The indiginous people are celts like ourselves....

Ulster Scots is just some bastardised planter shite........

MW

Quote from: Flameboy on January 02, 2007, 02:10:25 PM
who is lord laird?

Ulster Unionist peer, some sort of Ulster Scots language advocate and all round loon.

just what r u saying MW....are you seriously trying to assert that ulster scots is a language???

I believe I've already addressed this above. I don't have a 'fixed' position on this (experts with far more knowledge of liguistic issues disagree on the Scots tongue) - I'd just prefer people to consider a bit about the Scots tongue and Scottish linguisitc history instead of jumping in with the "made up landguage, just an accent, DIY language for unionists" type rhetoric.

dubnut

Dont give me that "think outside the box" buzzword crap.
Next you will tell me to "get my head out of the sand" "going forward" etc etc.

If I look a few score miles east I see Liverpool, not Scotland, should I therefore translate their accent of the Englsh language into its own language?
Will that make it a language?
Here is a excerp from the official language of Scouse.
"keeeaaaaaaaam down MW, de doo do that dont thee tho!"

Utter tripe, just because you dont agree with people you say they havent put thought into it or thought outside the box!
Believe your own hype MW  ::)

never kickt a ball

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0_J27WHjMg&eurl=

Ulster Scots Agency - 'The aim of the Ulster-Scots Agency is to promote the study, conservation, development and use of Ulster-Scots as a living language; to encourage and develop the full range of its attendant culture; and to promote an understanding of the history of the Ulster-Scots.'

Flameboy

i dont want to insult u MW but im really not getting whatever point ur trying to raise?

so if ur saying this so called ulster scots is a language what r u saying that irish people should do about this?

Flameboy

never kickt a ball, that looked like a link to a village people tribute band.....

MW

Quote from: Flameboy on January 02, 2007, 02:14:13 PM
why is that sad MW????

Dismissing the culture of an entire 'people' as invalid? Oh, I dunno...

Also lets be honest...

the indiginous language of scotland is Celtic Gaelic as spoken by ourselves....

The indiginous people are celts like ourselves....

Is it indeed? Are they now?

The various peoples who were united as "the Scots" into the first kingdom of Scotland well over 1000 years ago were a little more diverse than you imagine. There were indeed the Gaels ( or the Irish, or the Scots, to use other names applied to them) - decended from 4th century Irish settlers. There were also the British, i.e. the Celtic Britons who spoke a tongue related to modern Welsh (known to scholars as 'the British language' or 'Primitive Welsh', among other names). Then there were the Angles, or the English, who formed part of the kingdom of Northumbria - they assimilated many Celtic Britons before themselves being assimilated into the Scottish identity, bringing with them their language as that of the new Scottish state. There were also the Picts, who had their own distinct culture, and Pictish language, before they were assimilated by the Scots. (Also in the far north, the Northern Isles were Norse in terms of population, langauge and culture)
Ulster Scots is just some bastardised planter shite........

Oh dear.