Spotlight on BBC 6 Counties tomorrow night

Started by T Fearon, January 28, 2008, 04:34:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

screenexile

Tony is a [Edited by Mod3] but to be fair to him at least he's consistent and despite having his views ripped to pieces by posters on the board and numerous journalists in the main papers (anyone see the IN last Thur?) he still continues to offer up this tripe!

As for this documentary on tomorrow well it will be interesting to see if it gives a decent account of both sides of the story without trying to force the issue either way! Some chance huh?

T Fearon

Complete rubbish heganboy. I had two young nephews of my wife's doing a bit of work in the house the other night. Both are dyed in the wool North East of Ireland supporters, but I neither killed nor insulted them. I have no objection with anyone from any background playing for the IFA team I do object to Armstrong coming out with this patronising crap though and saying it in such a presumptious way, as if he was speaking for all of us. >:(

Solomon Kane

Quote from: T Fearon on January 28, 2008, 09:27:46 PM
Complete rubbish heganboy. I had two young nephews of my wife's doing a bit of work in the house the other night. Both are dyed in the wool North East of Ireland supporters, but I neither killed nor insulted them. I have no objection with anyone from any background playing for the IFA team I do object to Armstrong coming out with this patronising crap though and saying it in such a presumptious way, as if he was speaking for all of us. >:(

Just out of curiousity Tony, do these two lads follow the "one true faith" as you like to call it?

saffron sam2

One weekend in Glasgow many years ago, a young lady (with a face like the back end of my balls) recognised my accent and asked if I was an Ulsterman. When I said I was, she proceeded to call me all the orange cnuts of the day. Needless to say that relationship was over before it began.

Gerry Armstrong is not and has never been the most popular man from "the Falls" (whatever that means - must ask Let's All Do The Bouncy). This has nothing to do with his footballing career. Fire enough mud and some of it sticks.

However on the topic of the thread and Tony Fearon's initial contribution. Despicable, as is the attempted justification / clarification.
the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet

TacadoirArdMhacha

I'll still have respect for anyone who managed to forge an entire career off a routine finish from an outrageous goalkeeping error.

Up to Armstrong who he wants to play for or support. Personally I could never idenitfy with NI, nor do I subscribe to the farcical notion that they are a "country" but if that's Gerry Armstrong's view that he's entitled to it whether he's from the Falls Road, Ballymena or Crossmaglen.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

Main Street

No need for anybody to do the so called right thing to Gerry.

It's the start of a propoganda campaign with Gerry Armstrong doing the Kitchener Ulster Needs You bit.
Probably a sign that these are desperate times for the OWC (not the fanclub)
Already as we speak 2 or 3 young lads from Derry are in the panel for an upcoming u19 International friendly. The football eligibility issue is not up for debate. These lads have a choice and their first choice is not up for debate and that scares a few people.

Orior

Quote from: Main Street on January 29, 2008, 12:02:50 AM
No need for anybody to do the so called right thing to Gerry.

It's the start of a propoganda campaign with Gerry Armstrong doing the Kitchener Ulster Needs You bit.
Probably a sign that these are desperate times for the OWC (not the fanclub)
Already as we speak 2 or 3 young lads from Derry are in the panel for an upcoming u19 International friendly. The football eligibility issue is not up for debate. These lads have a choice and their first choice is not up for debate and that scares a few people.

I thought that the debate was about the fact that these lads have a choice, and that riles OWC (the fanclub, not the statelet).
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

saffron sam2

Quote from: screenexile on January 28, 2008, 09:04:11 PM
Tony is a narrow minded twat but to be fair to him at least he's consistent and despite having his views ripped to pieces by posters on the board and numerous journalists in the main papers (anyone see the IN last Thur?) he still continues to offer up this tripe!

As for this documentary on tomorrow well it will be interesting to see if it gives a decent account of both sides of the story without trying to force the issue either way!

Indeed it will. This issue cannot be investigated without looking at the reasons why young nationalists feel uncomfortable playing for NI, what role (if any) the history of blatant sectarianism within football in the north may have had in their decision, what role (if any) the IFA's insistence on GSTQ and the Ulster banner may have had in their decision etc. or it is just gloryhunting?

Will poeple from a nationalist background who have genuine non-political interest in soccer be interviewed or will it be footballing experts like Paul Butler?

The programme has potential to be very interesting, but I doubt that it will.
the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet

nifan

QuoteThis issue cannot be investigated without looking at the reasons why young nationalists feel uncomfortable playing for NI

I think you mean some young nationalists

Gaaboardmod3

Hi All,

To everybody who reported posts on this thread sorry for the delay.

Firstly, Tony, I have deleted that comment in your original post. I have also deleted or modified replies to that comment which directly reference it. At best, that comment was very careless and crass. At worst it was malicious and disgusting. This board allows you to post your contentious views with very little interference, barring something totally out of order. If you repeat something like that again, you will be banned.

Secondly, whilst understandable, some of the personal abuse that Tony got was just as bad in it's own way. Many of you were able to let him know how strongly you disagreed with his statement without resorting to foul language or abuse. I have modified the abusive posts, and new devil, ziggysego, 5Sams and screenexile are now on a warning.

Lads, I know it's very frustrating to read some stuff like that, and I also apologise for not addressing it sooner, but we are trying, fairly successfully, to get away from all that name calling stuff. Everyone is in the same boat.

Thanks for your understanding.

Doogie Browser

Gerry did not help himself with his partitionist take on things, I am sick of the 'I am an Ulsterman' crap, he is as much of an Ulsterman as Shay Given & Packie Bonner. 
Just out of interest I was told that Gerry and his family are originally from Fintona, so bit of a theme him and the Red Hand  ;)

T Fearon

Moderator, could I ask you to explain what is offensive about the phrase "Do the right thing?". Did Mick Hucknall get banned from Radio 1 for releasing a song with this lyric?

The fact is that no one had any idea what I had in mind by using this phrase, and I did clarify it. The fact that the majority of people seemed to erroneously misinterpret my comment in the worst possible way,is hardly my fault.

I concur wholeheartedly with your sentiments in terms of abuse, and have, in my opinion, modified my views considerably in the last 12 months. But I am more sinned against than a sinner, I think.

PS Don't be too hard on 5Sams. Down have just won the Mc Kenna Cup and he has obviously lost the run of himself ;D

his holiness nb

Well what did you mean by "do the right thing" Tony?

You know very well that the way you left if, it did look like something sinister.
And even after the warning you havent clarified what you actaully meant.

Feck sake you even got Ziggy a warning with that one. He's my OWC buddy!
Ask me holy bollix

thejuice

Quote from: saffron sam2 on January 29, 2008, 08:30:51 AM
the IFA's insistence on GSTQ and the Ulster banner may have had in their decision etc. or it is just gloryhunting?

Were talking about joining the ROI squad, you can rule glory-hunting out  :D  ,we're not Brazil either you know

It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

full back

Quote from: Gaaboardmod3 on January 29, 2008, 09:19:36 AM
and new devil, ziggysego, 5Sams and screenexile are now on a warning.

:D  :D
FFS mods, how can these 4 be on the same warning as Fearon?