Cantab encouraging "child abuse"...

Started by Donagh, May 01, 2007, 11:18:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Donagh

From the University of Cambridge:

Modern Irish will this week officially become the newest subject available at the University of Cambridge – marking both its establishment as an EU working language, and rising enthusiasm for Irish studies as a whole.

The Irish government is funding new classes in modern Irish at Cambridge to commemorate it becoming the 23rd working language of the EU.

The subject will be launched on Wednesday, May 2nd, in the Department of Anglo-Saxon, Norse and Celtic (ASNC). The Irish ambassador, Dáithí Ó Ceallaigh, will be among the guests, and the acclaimed Gaelic poet, Dr Louis de Paor, will give a celebratory reading.

The launch means that Cambridge is the first English university to teach both modern and medieval forms of the language. Uniquely, it is also the only university anywhere that allows students to study Irish in its wider context as one of a network of ancient languages and cultures that together define the heritage of the British Isles.

Academics also hope that the classes will help reinforce an understanding of Irish identity not just within Ireland itself, but among the enormous Irish Diaspora beyond its shores. Although the language is spoken in certain regions of the Irish Republic and is a familiar part of the school curriculum, modern Ireland is in a state of cultural change, with new waves of immigrants arriving from countries such as Poland, Latvia, Lithuania and Estonia.

Dr Máire Ní Mhaonaigh, senior lecturer in Celtic languages and literature for the University, said: "Ireland is going through an era of rapid cultural change, in which it is particularly easy to lose track of where one comes from. As we move into more of a distinctively European future, the study of Irish has the potential to be a positive aspect of identity.

"Learning Irish need not be related to ethnicity or family background, however. One of the main reasons for setting up classes at Cambridge is to stress that the study of Irish is of value for anyone interested in it for whatever reason."

Increasingly, Irish studies are also seen as having an important part to play in the understanding of European history and culture. In the Middle Ages, Ireland was Christianised at an early stage. Its learned classes also began to produce texts in the vernacular (as opposed to Latin) in the 6th or 7th centuries – hundreds of years before the Germans or French began to write in their own languages. Many of these early scholars also travelled widely in Europe, leaving behind religious texts and legal, literary and historical documents that tell us about European, as well as Irish culture.

The government funding has enabled the University to employ a modern Irish teacher, Dr Kaarina Hollo, who has already begun Irish classes at beginner, intermediate and advanced levels as well as informal Irish conversation sessions for enthusiasts. The course also involves the study of Irish poems, short stories, newspaper articles and Irish-language films and television programmes.

"By giving this grant to ASNC in Cambridge, the Irish government is recognising the long tradition of Irish in the department and elsewhere in Cambridge," Dr Ní Mhaonaigh added. "We have a long history of work in Irish studies and a high degree of interest among the student body.

"In addition, it is sending a message that Irish need not be only for the Irish, but anyone who has an interest in Irish heritage, culture, or a love of the language itself."

Pangurban

Why this departure from your normal reasonable self Donagh, with references to child abuse in relation to above article. Have you lost the plot

Silky

Donagh

Quote from: Pangurban on May 01, 2007, 10:24:46 PM
Why this departure from your normal reasonable self Donagh, with references to child abuse in relation to above article. Have you lost the plot

It's a reference to our friends from OWC likening Irish language teaching to child abuse. I thought some of them would maybe like the chance to comment.

SammyG

Quote from: Donagh on May 02, 2007, 12:55:38 AM

It's a reference to our friends from OWC likening Irish language teaching to child abuse. I thought some of them would maybe like the chance to comment.

Oh dear Donagh, if you're going to talk shite, it's probably best to do it on something that can't be easily checked. The references to child abuse had nothing to do with teaching Irish (or any other language), they were in relation to people who use their children as polticial footballs and put their own prejudices before the welfare of their kids.

Donagh

Quote from: SammyG on May 02, 2007, 08:19:20 AM
Oh dear Donagh, if you're going to talk shite, it's probably best to do it on something that can't be easily checked. The references to child abuse had nothing to do with teaching Irish (or any other language), they were in relation to people who use their children as polticial footballs and put their own prejudices before the welfare of their kids.

Trying to weasel out of it now Sammy? Surely if you think that parents who send their kids to Irish language schools are guilty of child abuse, then those that are involved in the teaching of the Irish language at whatever level are also as culpable?

SammyG

Quote from: Donagh on May 02, 2007, 09:03:21 AM
Quote from: SammyG on May 02, 2007, 08:19:20 AM

Trying to weasel out of it now Sammy? Surely if you think that parents who send their kids to Irish language schools are guilty of child abuse, then those that are involved in the teaching of the Irish language at whatever level are also as culpable?

WTF are you on about? Might be an idea to go back and read what I posted, not what you obviously think I posted.

I'll state my opinion again, in case you can't be arsed to check. I have NO objection to anyone learning any language (in fact the more the better as it gives you a good grounding in study techniques etc). My problem is with people using there kids to score political points. It doesn't matter if this is Shinners sending their kids to Gaelscoil (sp??) or Muslims sending their kids to Madrasses or American bible-belters teaching Creationism etc etc etc etc. The job of a school is to educate children not to indoctrinate them with the politics of their parents.

stephenite

So if someone who is a member of Sinn Fein sends their child to an Irish only speaking school it's abuse and forcing the children into learning their own political beliefs? Presumably if someone with no political affiliations send their kids to the same school it's alright ?

MW

Quote from: Donagh on May 02, 2007, 12:55:38 AM

Themmuns are all the same, just one big uniform mass, no individual thought, blah blah ::)

Billys Boots

I've said it before and I'll say it again.  How is learning a language that is part of your culture and heritage 'indoctrination'?
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

MW

And to be honest being associated with East Anglia Polytechnic is something I'd advise against :)

his holiness nb

"The job of a school is to educate children not to indoctrinate them with the politics of their parents"

No "politicals of their parents" are taught in these schools. They learn the same things from the same curriculum as an everyday school just as gaeilge.

You cant seriously equate the two, no matter how eloquently you put your argument.

Ask me holy bollix

lynchbhoy

Quote from: MW on May 02, 2007, 09:56:33 AM
And to be honest being associated with East Anglia Polytechnic is something I'd advise against :)
surely its west anglia ?

SammyG

Quote from: his holiness nb on May 02, 2007, 10:01:54 AMNo "politicals of their parents" are taught in these schools. They learn the same things from the same curriculum as an everyday school just as gaeilge.
Excellent that's all sorted then. So the school selling the signed Bobby Sand's book has no politics attached to it.  ::)
Quote from: his holiness nb on May 02, 2007, 10:01:54 AM
You cant seriously equate the two, no matter how eloquently you put your argument.

Sorry, what can I not equate?

deiseach

Quote from: stephenite on May 02, 2007, 09:42:33 AM
Presumably if someone with no political affiliations send their kids to the same school it's alright ?

Any attempt to step away from the mainstream (i.e. Unionism) is political. So if you support Northern Ireland, it's apolitical. But support the Republic, it's political.

It's great to have the status quo on your side.