IRISH NORTHERNERS AND SOUTHERNERS

Started by MoChara, April 14, 2016, 10:01:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AQMP

Sort of on topic

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-36092678

More Nordies applying to colleges in the Free State.  We're taking over!!

armaghniac

Quote from: AQMP on April 21, 2016, 09:50:34 AM
Sort of on topic

I've often thought it a bit odd that there were relatively few in recent years, given the fact that fees in Britain are 4 times as much. And that people who had no problem thinking about going to Stirling were snobby about applying to DCU or UL and would only look at Trinity.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

AQMP

Quote from: armaghniac on April 21, 2016, 10:04:11 AM
Sort of on topic

I've often thought it a bit odd that there were relatively few in recent years, given the fact that fees in Britain are 4 times as much. And that people who had no problem thinking about going to Stirling were snobby about applying to DCU or UL and would only look at Trinity.

Paradoxically the number of NI students studying in the South has gone down since the GFA.  I do think the way A Levels were allocated points was an issue for a good few years.  To get enough points to get into a lot of Southern colleges you really needed to do 4 A Levels which wasn't attractive to a lot of students when you could get a place in an NI or British uni with 3 good grades.  I know that Trinity has been actively "promoting" itself to in Northern schools in the past three or four years

armaghniac

Quote from: AQMP on April 21, 2016, 10:31:50 AM
Sort of on topic

Paradoxically the number of NI students studying in the South has gone down since the GFA.  I do think the way A Levels were allocated points was an issue for a good few years.  To get enough points to get into a lot of Southern colleges you really needed to do 4 A Levels which wasn't attractive to a lot of students when you could get a place in an NI or British uni with 3 good grades.  I know that Trinity has been actively "promoting" itself to in Northern schools in the past three or four years

The cost of rent in Dublin is an issue, it is much more than in some provincial English city. But then again Limerick might be cheaper. Southern Universities are more difficult to get into, but being in a university that is easier to get into isn't ideal if you can get into a good one. What is a disgrace is that the Stormont junta have preferred to cut university places rather than the money going into sectarian bonfires and the like.

haranguerer

Sort of on topic

Does anyone actually read these articles?? It shouldn't appear odd, there was a completely logical reason for it

'Since 2005, many popular courses at universities in the Republic of Ireland have been inaccessible to Northern Ireland students unless they took four A-levels.
That was due to a scoring system which compared A-level results with the Leaving Certificate qualification.
A Northern Ireland pupil, for instance, who did three A-levels and got three A* grades, would get a maximum of 450 points.
That compared to a maximum of 600 points for a pupil getting top grades in the Leaving Certificate exams.
The most popular courses at Irish universities - such as law, maths, English or psychology at Trinity College Dublin - require a pupil to get well over 500 points to apply for entry.'

armaghniac

Quote from: haranguerer on April 21, 2016, 11:07:43 AM
Sort of on topic

Does anyone actually read these articles?? It shouldn't appear odd, there was a completely logical reason for it

'Since 2005, many popular courses at universities in the Republic of Ireland have been inaccessible to Northern Ireland students unless they took four A-levels.
That was due to a scoring system which compared A-level results with the Leaving Certificate qualification.
A Northern Ireland pupil, for instance, who did three A-levels and got three A* grades, would get a maximum of 450 points.
That compared to a maximum of 600 points for a pupil getting top grades in the Leaving Certificate exams.
The most popular courses at Irish universities - such as law, maths, English or psychology at Trinity College Dublin - require a pupil to get well over 500 points to apply for entry.'

Well the TCD website says that an 3A* would be 540, and a 25 point bonus for doing maths, so that's 565 which would get you into most courses. https://www.tcd.ie/study/eu/undergraduate/admission-requirements/a-levels/minimum-requirements/
That would get you into pretty much everything in DCU, for instance.

But you are correct, many English universities are easier to get into, just bring the £9000.

haranguerer

Or read anything?

The bit in my post which was in quotation marks was so because it was as a quote from the bbc article. It outlines the reasons why there were fewer northern applicants to southern universities, and why that subsequently has changed.

You've posted a link to the current admission policy - after the change; seemingly to refute the article outlining what you're demonstrating?  ???

armaghniac

Quote from: haranguerer on April 22, 2016, 01:06:32 PM
Or read anything?

The bit in my post which was in quotation marks was so because it was as a quote from the bbc article. It outlines the reasons why there were fewer northern applicants to southern universities, and why that subsequently has changed.

You've posted a link to the current admission policy - after the change; seemingly to refute the article outlining what you're demonstrating?  ???

This tinkering may have some impact, but points weren't as high as in recent years either and as I said there are a lot of courses other than the top ones in TCD. The better students just did the 4 A levels and the weaker students wouldn't have got into these courses anyway, there is a small enough number in between. 

I'd say that the Euro having been at £0.69 at one stage had more effect than points.