Are Michael O Neill and Gerry Armstong Off Their Heads??

Started by Fear Bun Na Sceilpe, January 05, 2012, 12:44:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gold

Quote from: michaelg on January 05, 2012, 10:29:33 PM
Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on January 05, 2012, 07:13:13 PM
Quote from: Rav67 on January 05, 2012, 07:03:27 PM
It's not JUST about political allegiances.  If NI were a better team than Republic and were the ones with a realistic chance of qualifying for tournaments then plenty of the same boys would have opted for NI instead, the same way as they gravitate towards the best league/club they can play in/for.

You are right its not. But I know that with Gibson and Mc Clean its because they were brought up as nationalists in households where NI matches were turned over and everyone always supported the Republic. Mc Clean was in a local paper today in Derry saying that it has always been his dream to play for the Republic. Have you ever been at an NI match? Its not a comfortable place if you are a Nationalist.
As someone not from a Nationalist background, I was wondering why specifically it is not a comfortable place for Nationalists.  Putting aside, I assume, your desire for the N.Ireland football team not to exist in the first place, is it the anthem or playing at Windsor Park which is the biggest issue?  With respect to the anthem, to me it is always a bit of a damp squib / irrelevance with most folk not even bothering to sing.  Personally I reckon Danny Boy or some other neutral tune should be played in place of the dirge that is GSTQ.  As for playing games at Windsor Park, do you feel threatened attending as a Nationalist?  Although admittedly located on the edge of the Village, it also adjacent to and accessible from the Lisburn Road which is now a mixed area populated by students, young professionals, foreign nationals etc.

Went once in 1996 v Albania. Anthem came on and men drapped in Union Jacks shouted 'get up' and gestured to me and my mate. I was shitting myself. I dont see it as an international team--more as a farce--from the team, to the fans who believe Northern IRELAND is england, UK or whatever i dont know what they think, to the shit stadium with crap floodlights that would hardly light a street not to mention commentators with their "at this level it's a case of slow slow, quick quick, one-two and your in". The walkway into the stadium is a dark, frightening, hole.

I sound bigoted but i just dont understand it. Everyone likes Ireland and the Irish. What about the English?  Watch Braveheart-- hard to like them yet half the population here wants to pretend they're English and talk about Norwich as if it's closer and more relevant than Longford.

Why should McClean play for NI --i've ranted before re what do we do--when the scorched earth tactics are being used do we give up that day? Do we wait a week then give up and say it's yours, 2 weeks, 2 years, 200, 700 years?

If i made it in Soccer i'd play for ROI and if not good enough i'd play for noone. I know a player who played for years for NI but he and his family were mad about ROI. During Italia 90 he was the biggest fan--he then played his best for NI but never loved them.

An Ireland team like in Running, Basketball, Cycling, Cricket, Rugby, Golf is the way forward.

Yes, Gerry and Michael are off their heads--they dont believe what they're saying. They're scared to offend people by telling the truth and saying that at the very least GSTQ has to go. They know it's about culture and a deep rooted historical issue but try and fool us into thinking it's about playing time. It's a cold-house for catholics, compounded by the anthem and supporters capable of giving death threats to Lennon, night in November, killing you etc. Why wouldnt fans want their own anthem? Look at Scotland, Wales, yet the fools at Windsor want to hang on to the tailcoats of another land saying "we're England."

I just dont know

"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Gold on January 05, 2012, 11:45:38 PM
It's not JUST about political allegiances.  If NI were a better team than Republic and were the ones with a realistic chance of qualifying for tournaments then plenty of the same boys would have opted for NI instead, the same way as they gravitate towards the best league/club they can play in/for.

You are right its not. But I know that with Gibson and Mc Clean its because they were brought up as nationalists in households where NI matches were turned over and everyone always supported the Republic. Mc Clean was in a local paper today in Derry saying that it has always been his dream to play for the Republic. Have you ever been at an NI match? Its not a comfortable place if you are a Nationalist.
As someone not from a Nationalist background, I was wondering why specifically it is not a comfortable place for Nationalists.  Putting aside, I assume, your desire for the N.Ireland football team not to exist in the first place, is it the anthem or playing at Windsor Park which is the biggest issue?  With respect to the anthem, to me it is always a bit of a damp squib / irrelevance with most folk not even bothering to sing.  Personally I reckon Danny Boy or some other neutral tune should be played in place of the dirge that is GSTQ.  As for playing games at Windsor Park, do you feel threatened attending as a Nationalist?  Although admittedly located on the edge of the Village, it also adjacent to and accessible from the Lisburn Road which is now a mixed area populated by students, young professionals, foreign nationals etc.

Went once in 1996 v Albania. Anthem came on and men drapped in Union Jacks shouted 'get up' and gestured to me and my mate. I was shitting myself. I dont see it as an international team--more as a farce--from the team, to the fans who believe Northern IRELAND is england, UK or whatever i dont know what they think, to the shit stadium with crap floodlights that would hardly light a street not to mention commentators with their "at this level it's a case of slow slow, quick quick, one-two and your in". The walkway into the stadium is a dark, frightening, hole.

I sound bigoted but i just dont understand it. Everyone likes Ireland and the Irish. What about the English?  Watch Braveheart-- hard to like them yet half the population here wants to pretend they're English and talk about Norwich as if it's closer and more relevant than Longford.

Why should McClean play for NI --i've ranted before re what do we do--when the scorched earth tactics are being used do we give up that day? Do we wait a week then give up and say it's yours, 2 weeks, 2 years, 200, 700 years?

If i made it in Soccer i'd play for ROI and if not good enough i'd play for noone. I know a player who played for years for NI but he and his family were mad about ROI. During Italia 90 he was the biggest fan--he then played his best for NI but never loved them.

An Ireland team like in Running, Basketball, Cycling, Cricket, Rugby, Golf is the way forward.

Yes, Gerry and Michael are off their heads--they dont believe what they're saying. They're scared to offend people by telling the truth and saying that at the very least GSTQ has to go. They know it's about culture and a deep rooted historical issue but try and fool us into thinking it's about playing time. It's a cold-house for catholics, compounded by the anthem and supporters capable of giving death threats to Lennon, night in November, killing you etc. Why wouldnt fans want their own anthem? Look at Scotland, Wales, yet the fools at Windsor want to hang on to the tailcoats of another land saying "we're England."

I just dont know
Gerry will say whatever is asked of him by the people paying him.

You've also left any apostrophe out in "dont" above.

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

I just dont know

well said!

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: Tony Baloney on January 05, 2012, 11:53:17 PM

I just dont know
Gerry will say whatever is asked of him by the people paying him.

You've also left any apostrophe out in "dont" above.

Are you on your last can of Special Brew yet?

mylestheslasher

I've got all the apostrophes. If mcclean doesn't play for the wee six i'll kill them all.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: mylestheslasher on January 06, 2012, 12:14:43 AM
I've got all the apostrophes. If mcclean doesn't play for the wee six i'll kill them all.
If you were a true loyalist posting that you obviously wouldn't have spelt everything as well as you did. Ignoring your lack of capitals obviously.

Main Street

Players have a choice.
WTF is not progressive about that in a constitutionally recognized dual national statelet?
Accept that the choice is there and it will just become a thing some players will choose.
If it doesn't work out they can always declare for the IFA.
Take away that choice then you are suppressing a natural right.

Anyway the choice is embedded in FIFA regulation, so its not an option to take away the choice, not now and not in this millennium.
That penny might have dropped with the NI fans association who now want a system of compensation for every player who declares for the 'other country'  ;D
As if a player is a possession, as if they don't care about the validity of national identity, as if they don't realize that a northerner is still declaring for the team that represents their nationality. Rather, such players are regarded as defectors. So what we have is that the national identity is being stigmatised unless it conforms to the singular British identity.

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: mylestheslasher on January 06, 2012, 12:14:43 AM

Kill them please just to prove to Baloney and Maguire that an apostrophe won't be missed when it get an OBE( and i don't mean a medal from the queen)

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: Main Street on January 06, 2012, 12:19:21 AM
Players have a choice.
WTF is not progressive about that in a constitutionally recognized dual national statelet?
Accept that the choice is there and it will just become a thing some players will choose.

Anyway the choice is embedded in FIFA regulation, so its not an option to take away the choice, not now and not in this millennium.
That penny might have dropped with the NI fans association who now want a system of compensation for every player who declares for the 'other country'  ;D
As if a player is a possession, as if they don't care about the validity of national identity, as if they don't realize that a northerner is still declaring for the team that represents their nationality. Rather, such players are regarded as defectors. So what we have is that the national identity is being stigmatised unless it conforms to the singular British identity.

Good post, did you notice that M O Neill tried to entice Mc clean etc back by saying that players that do what he done are wrong-staright in with 2 big Portadown size 12s- another IFA puppet/muppet

Tony Baloney

Players have a choice.

MS, I read an article about Armstrong a few months ago and seemingly he is now some player welfare liaison officer or something. He speaks to lads about to take the jump and from what I remember he seemed pragmatic in that a grown man will make his choice and that was fine. What he and the IFA wouldn't stomach is the deliberate tapping up by the FAI of players from a young age, even 12,13 or 14 and the offer of incentives. He also believed FAI were adopting a scorched earth policy of signing up all the eligible players, especially around Derry etc. knowing full well that they'll never make it as an international.

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: Tony Baloney on January 06, 2012, 12:26:03 AM
Players have a choice.

MS, I read an article about Armstrong a few months ago and seemingly he is now some player welfare liaison officer or something. He speaks to lads about to take the jump and from what I remember he seemed pragmatic in that a grown man will make his choice and that was fine. What he and the IFA wouldn't stomach is the deliberate tapping up by the FAI of players from a young age, even 12,13 or 14 and the offer of incentives. He also believed FAI were adopting a scorched earth policy of signing up all the eligible players, especially around Derry etc. knowing full well that they'll never make it as an international.

Please remind me why we should feel sorry for the IFA and the  sectarian crooks that run that sham set up

Hardy

Ulick