Are Michael O Neill and Gerry Armstong Off Their Heads??

Started by Fear Bun Na Sceilpe, January 05, 2012, 12:44:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Main Street

Yes I imagine Delaney went out his way to personally supervise the flying of the 9 county flag in order to inflict a serious insult on those NI fans. And cheekily put up the correct 6 county IFA flag to give the impression that it was all an honest mistake. But that stroke didn't fool the crafty NI fans.

Yes, it was a deliberate petty ploy  ;D

Applesisapples

Quote from: Myles Na G. on January 25, 2012, 06:48:34 PM
Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on January 25, 2012, 06:19:53 PM
Quote from: MW on January 24, 2012, 11:52:10 PM
Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe link=topic=20907.msg1066293#msg1066293I have already said in another post that I have first hand experience of this outside the ground. I have also had second hand evidence from trusted sources. Your evidence is no stronger than that, you are just another second hand source to me also. So its a choice of who to believe and I have never met you so I choose to go with other people's evidence[/b]

You've been told by other people on this thread that it doesn't happen. I've been posting on here for nearly 8 years (Lordy) and I'd like to think that those who've had the misfortune to follow my posts over some of that duration would know that I'm not in the business of denying instances of sectarianism. "The Billy Boys" is not sung at Northern Ireland matches, and these "trusted sources" of yours, if they exist, are misleading you in a quite appalling way.

Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe link=topic=20907.msg1066293#msg1066293I can see you're struggling here so let me help you with a little soccer metaphor that's quite common in this context - "play the man, not the ball". I did not call you wierd, I called your version of events wierd. Similarly, I called your version of events fantasy.- That was personal enough to me

Well it's not personal whatsoever (ball, not man), and if you don't like an erroneous version of events being called out, you really shouldn't bother with a discussion forum

QuoteAu contraire, I enjoy being challenged - one of the reasons I enjoy posting on here. I don't like downright lies and silly personal comments.-Well stop making so many then :D

You really, really need to understand the difference between your views and statements criticised and making a personal comment, or you're never going to be able to engage is adult debate and discussion.

QuoteCan you point me to where you think I said it was acceptable?- You implied it

No, I did not. You (wrongly) inferred it.

Well, evidently not having seen this UTV Live report, can direct me to another source? One I can view/read?-  Cant at the minute, what am I UTV live archivist? Why would i make this up though[[/b]quote]

Why did you make up the stuff about "The Billy Boys" still being sung at NI games?

QuotePretty significant difference between what you say and what the BBC report says.- How?[/i]

For starters, the article doesn't actually directly link the PSNI to the Dublin authorities' decision.
As I said I started the thread to discuss the whole shindig[/i]

And I am calling you out on your "Billy Boys" fantasy.

And there are not Union Flags in "big numbers". Unlike Tricolours at Ireland rugby games, which you don't have the cojones to attempt a comment on.- Of course there is, wise up lad, its all over You Tube and other places. As for Tricolours at rugby matches thats because thats the National Team and Flag. The Union Jack is not the NI flag.[/b]

If you think single figures are "big numbers", maybe.

You've just revealed a hell of a lot with that comment, by the way. The Ireland rugby team represents the island of Ireland (32 counties) - the Tricolour is the national flag of the Republic of Ireland. Isn't it rather hypocritical all your talk about flags and the rest here, when you have apparently absolutely no issue with the many, many ROI flags (many times more than you'd see Union flags at a NI football match) at Ireland rugby games?

By the way, the Union flag actually is the official NI flag...but still, I'm not a fan of its unofficial use at NI matches.

QuoteIt isn't sectarian. And again I ask - what's your position on a "neutral" anthem for Gaelic games.- I said perceived. If I thought a neutral anthem would encourage more Unionists to play, I woulnt be against it. How could you be?[/b]

Good - I hope you make those views known.

QuoteYou seem genuine and passionate about NI Team so if you really want to crack this issue dont underestimate the perceived indimitation that Windsor holds for many. I am comparitively broad minded to many others and look at how difficult i am to convince [/b]

Two comments here: I think you're difficult to convince because you're believing what you want to believe. And challenging untruths like you have posted on here, and Mr Brolly had published in the Derry Journal, will actually help towards lowering the "perceived intimidation".

Hate to finish off on a bad note but what a feable excuse for being hateful[/i]

Lordy, that takes the biscuit. Saying your odd comments directed against me mde me think maybe you weren't the full shilling is "being hateful"? You've clearly been very, very lucky so far in your interpersonal relationships.

And weren't you the person who said to me..."A guy/girl attending frequenting GAA board but also admittting to attending NI matches during some of their most sectarian years. I would not just call this weird but symptomatic of a split personality", and also said..."WM or sorry MW. Got mixed up with your name, you know what its like to be mixed up obviously!". Again, you should watch how easy it is to come across as a hypocrite...

This is my last reply on the subject because as I said maybe 6 posts ago we should agree to disagree, and you are clearly a very rude person, which is a pity because some of your points do seem valid, but they have been ruined by the manner in which you make them. As regards the rugby flags, yes the Tricolour is the dominant flag, but the Ulster Flag is flown on the mast next to it all all home games and the IRFU employed Phil Coulter to compose a more neutral anthem which would encompass the whle island. Imagine having the tricolour flying high at Windsor for all NI home games!!
The 9 county Ulster flag is flown, which is quite correct. However, if the symbols of the 26 county state are used at these home matches (and the flag and the anthem are both in evidence) then to be consistent the IRFU should also use the symbols of the 6 county state too. It should be both or neither. In this case, the IRFU gets it wrong.
The oficial flag of NI is the Union Flag, the official flag of the NI Assembly is a Flax Branch on a white field. The Loyalist Ulster Flag favoured by NI Fans is not official. The Ulster Flag (9) is flown because it represents the Ulster Branch. Rugby protocol dictates that when Ireland play at Ravenhill the Union Flag is flown.

Applesisapples

Quote from: michaelg on January 25, 2012, 08:46:08 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on January 25, 2012, 07:55:34 PM
Quote from: Myles Na G. on January 25, 2012, 06:48:34 PM
The 9 county Ulster flag is flown, which is quite correct. However, if the symbols of the 26 county state are used at these home matches (and the flag and the anthem are both in evidence) then to be consistent the IRFU should also use the symbols of the 6 county state too. .
The 6 Co devolved administration has no flag therefore the 6 Co "state"/Statelet/twothirds of a Province/area/etc hasnt got a symbol to compare with the Tricolour.
As the Ulster Branch of the IRFU runs rugby in the 6 Co area and the IRFU run the rugby internationals it's fair to say the IRFU got it right.
As for the FAI "accidently" flying the yellow flag before replacing it with the Northern Ireland flag prior to the most recent ROI vs NI international? - Petty in the extreme.  Given the steps taken by the IFA to make football more inclusive in the "6 Co "state"/Statelet/twothirds of a Province/area/etc", actions such as this are hardly helping matters.  Funnily enough, this was not really widely reported.  Can you imagine the stink if the IFA pulled a similar stunt?
They actually should have flown the Union Flag. The NI Flag as you call it is not official.

Jim_Murphy_74

Quote from: Myles Na G. on January 25, 2012, 06:50:43 PM
Good point. I enjoy Enda's contributions as a GAA pundit on BBC and RTE, while his articles in 'Gaelic Times' are right on the mark, IMO. I'm also aware he does sterling work on the many GAA committees he sits on.  ::)

Okay Myles, I will try one last time.  I accept that Brolly and Burns are members of the GAA, active in the GAA and are also pundits/journalists.

Now do you believe the GAA as and organisation should have a formal position on:

• Eligibility rules for international football
  • Candidates in the Republic's Elections

/Jim.

year til sunday

do i not like that!! can't knock the IFA for lack of entertainment off the field anyway

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/17111237

screenexile

Fcuk he'd need to be careful putting stuff like that in the news . . . Trapp may be in like a shot!!!