Go at christmas
27 (22.3%)
Never
29 (24%)

Total Members Voted: 121

Voting closed: April 02, 2009, 04:45:12 PM

pintsofguinness

and hardy calls me grumpy!

btw if you's think yous are preached at at home you should try going to mass here.
Went to a wee ones first communion and what a patronising load of bullshit, got a lecture from the priest before the thing even started to be quiet during the mass and to be respectful, that we were in a place of God etc etc! It was all news to me!!
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

Puckoon

Take it to the next level pints, come to the states. Those guys LOVE saying mass. Its a full 70 minute ordeal complete with hand holding during the our father, and hugs and kisses at the sign of the peace.

pintsofguinness

Quote from: Puckoon on March 31, 2009, 09:03:29 PM
Take it to the next level pints, come to the states. Those guys LOVE saying mass. Its a full 70 minute ordeal complete with hand holding during the our father, and hugs and kisses at the sign of the peace.
The woman goes most weeks here and it's a hour though I hear in some places it's only about 20 minutes!
(yes, she's probably lying to me)
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

ziggysego

Testing Accessibility

john mcgill

Weekly and I'm currently going every morning in Lent.  When I was younger I would go to mass and pray for all sorts now Mass is me time.  I love the half an hour of uninterrupted silence.

mylestheslasher

Quote from: red hander on March 31, 2009, 06:25:14 PM
Quote from: longrunsthefox on March 31, 2009, 05:55:03 PM
Sorry to buck the trend but I have children and havent been for years except funerals and weddings as I would with any religion.
Don't see that wee'uns can't know about God and pray which we do without going to church. Can't abide the Catholic church- feel very let down by them.. is  a long story.     

Brought up a Catholic and glad I was, cos it opened my eyes to the total corruption within it and all other organised religions and turned me into a complete agnostic ... while I don't wish to denigrate anyone's religion (most of my friends would be church goers), IMO it's all a con, particularly Catholicism in Ireland.  Children shouldn't be brainwashed in this way, they should be allowed to make their own choices about religion when they are old enough and mature enough, not have it shoved down their throats (quite literally in very many cases, unfortunately) by uptight, frustrated old alcoholic virgins who in my experience of religious education in schools reverted to threats and violence when their theological arguments were defeated merely by debate and counter argument... just weddings and funerals myself, now, thank, er, God...

Couldn't agree more.

While granted there are plenty of decent priests in the church (in all churches) some of them really piss me off. Too many of them think their collar demands respect for  them even though they may be complete pricks. Our local priest called down a few weeks ago to see my wife (who is a practising catholic). He told her he was coming down to see if he could help her with a new business she is starting. Instead he came down and asked why I didn't attend mass and tried to force my wife to hold a station mass in our home (in these parts all this is is a reason for nosy neighbours and gossips to come and see what sort of stuff is in your house and so people holding these masses feel under severe pressure to spend a load of money to do up the house). My wife said no. Priest then lectured her that the church was all about community (I thought it had something to do with god but sure there you go). He then quizzed her on how come she had been made redundant from her past job. Obviously he wasn't happy with her answer as we have heard back from 4 people that he has been asking people about my wifes redundancy and insinuating that something out of the ordinary has happened. The fact that my wife worked in a creche with kids means that if people start to believe that something is odd then god knows what story will come out. I'm seriously pissed off with this priest and he is going to get a volley of abuse from me that he won't be forgetting for a long time. All this cos he couldn't get his way and come into our home to say mass!

cavan4ever

Hard to believe that craic is still going on Myles, i wouldnt put up with that either.

Donagh

Quote from: mylestheslasher on March 31, 2009, 09:58:11 PM
While granted there are plenty of decent priests in the church (in all churches) some of them really piss me off. Too many of them think their collar demands respect for  them even though they may be complete pricks. Our local priest called down a few weeks ago to see my wife (who is a practising catholic). He told her he was coming down to see if he could help her with a new business she is starting. Instead he came down and asked why I didn't attend mass and tried to force my wife to hold a station mass in our home (in these parts all this is is a reason for nosy neighbours and gossips to come and see what sort of stuff is in your house and so people holding these masses feel under severe pressure to spend a load of money to do up the house). My wife said no. Priest then lectured her that the church was all about community (I thought it had something to do with god but sure there you go). He then quizzed her on how come she had been made redundant from her past job. Obviously he wasn't happy with her answer as we have heard back from 4 people that he has been asking people about my wifes redundancy and insinuating that something out of the ordinary has happened. The fact that my wife worked in a creche with kids means that if people start to believe that something is odd then god knows what story will come out. I'm seriously pissed off with this priest and he is going to get a volley of abuse from me that he won't be forgetting for a long time. All this cos he couldn't get his way and come into our home to say mass!

Priests are human, so you're going to get your fair share of pricks as in any other part of life.

stpauls

Quote from: Puckoon on March 31, 2009, 09:03:29 PM

had an experience of this myself Puck, the Sunday after the brother in laws wedding in New York, was hungover and it freaked me out something shocking!!

Rav67

Quote from: pintsofguinness on March 31, 2009, 07:51:48 PM
Just an odd time if I was at home and oul ones start noticing I haven't been - just to keep them happy and to hold on to my title as perfect son. 

Same here.  Never go at all unless I'm at home which isn't often, in which case I'll go on a Sunday.  Been like that for years now.  Feels a bit stupid keeping up the charade that I actually go but same as pints, go just to keep the oul doll happy.  I'm an agnostic but I do respect the role of the church and I think overall the Catholic church is definitely a force for good even though I don't believe any of the teachings.

Dougal Maguire

I'm a reasonably regular mass goer but I'm strongly thinking of giving up the Catholic faith as a result of the Pope's recent comments about condoms and HIV. If he's prepared to take a stance which has the potential to condemn millions to death then I'm not sure I want to be part of his set up.
Careful now

Rav67

Quote from: Dougal Maguire on March 31, 2009, 11:37:12 PM
I'm a reasonably regular mass goer but I'm strongly thinking of giving up the Catholic faith as a result of the Pope's recent comments about condoms and HIV. If he's prepared to take a stance which has the potential to condemn millions to death then I'm not sure I want to be part of his set up.

I somehow don't think the Pope's comments will lead directly or indirectly to the deaths of millions...............

maggie

Quote from: pintsofguinness on March 31, 2009, 09:09:14 PM
The woman goes most weeks here and it's a hour though I hear in some places it's only about 20 minutes!
(yes, she's probably lying to me)

They have a tendency to sing every verse followed by chorus of every song, rather the regular one verse, one chorus.  Mass over here lasts a good hour, its great getting home to the speedy sermons!!

ONeill

Quote from: Hardy on March 31, 2009, 08:46:10 PM
When are we having the poll on who goes to the synagogue, the mosque, the Presbyterian church, etc? And of course, who reads a chapter of The God Delusion every week? Neither the GAA nor the gaaboard are Catholic institutions.

Hardy's a hun.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

illdecide

Just remembered i went to mass in Durban and it just happened to be Palm Sunday, fecking thing went for 2.5 hours and the place was packed. It was 30 degrees and i thought I'd be a gentleman and give up my seat at the start of the mass to some blade...didn't half regret that...
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch