GAA Response to Coronavirus

Started by screenexile, March 12, 2020, 12:10:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Taylor

Quote from: five points on May 15, 2020, 01:08:08 PM
Quote from: Taylor on May 15, 2020, 12:51:45 PM
Quote from: five points on May 15, 2020, 12:42:21 PM
Quote from: Taylor on May 15, 2020, 12:27:09 PM

Glad to point it out? Its a fact - almost a quarter of players wont play with 1/5 undecided.

How many clubs could field with that many players missing??

In my county, all apart from 2 or 3 of the weaker junior clubs.

Nice problem to have - in addition to 'forget' about 2 or 3 clubs because they are worried about members of their family dying isnt really in our ethos is it?

Again you seem hell-bent on having nobody at all playing.

Me, I'd much prefer to see 100% of clubs in action, but if this isn't possible, I'd settle for 90%. Or even 50%.

This doesn't mean that anyone is forgotten btw. The GAA has survived worse in the past including when players, officials and supporters were murdered for being GAA people. We didn't throw in the towel then. Why should we now?

Who is throwing in the towel?

I said we should come back when it is safe to do so & everyone can play ball?

Rossfan

The 2 bucks obviously got out the wrong side of the bed this morning and want to have a row with someone!
As John Horan said the GAA will be guided by the public health advice but won't be returning while Social Distancing is required.
How long before Social distancing won't be a requirement?
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Cluborcountywhynotboth

Quote from: Taylor on May 15, 2020, 01:37:05 PM
Quote from: Cluborcountywhynotboth on May 15, 2020, 01:07:20 PM
Quote from: Taylor on May 15, 2020, 11:51:58 AM
Quote from: Cluborcountywhynotboth on May 15, 2020, 09:00:21 AM
Quote from: larryin89 on May 15, 2020, 01:11:38 AM
Quote from: Cluborcountywhynotboth on May 14, 2020, 06:48:53 PM
To all the experts on here repeating verbatim that we can't do anything till we have a vaccine.....a virologist was on the tv today (so I'd suggest a little more qualified that most on here), and stated that the world has never created a vaccine for any of the coronavirus strands (sars etc..), in fact in history the only vaccine for a virus similar to this was the vaccine for smallpox. Even the much compared Spanish flu was never cured. So if you seriously think that we won't be returning to things like football before a vaccine is found then you are very much wrong. As minister Harris said weeks and weeks ago, we have to find a way to live with the virus.

Who are you to call it ? There are reports in the public domain from club managers the last 48hrs telling you some of their players are not willing to risk bringing the virus to their home if they had to play before social distancing is lifted.

There will be no football this year and it will be a case of seeing how the virus progresses by next year to see if it is possible for football in 21 .

For now and the foreseeable the world is a very different place the pre covid19. Living with the virus does not mean gung   ho  off ye go . There will always be restrictions till cure or vaccine . It's a very bleak period , there is nothing positive at all about covid19  & it's way more serious of a threat than we think .
I am no one to call it, I am giving my opinion which is what a discussion board is about, albeit it appears if you don't tow the party line on here you are attacked with ridiculous comments about wanting people to die and how it's like Nazi Germany 🤯.
It's ironic that you question who should call it yet you (And others on here) totally ignore the fact that the actual experts, those who have put us into lockdown and are advising on the government strategy have laid out a plan for resumption of normal life (and within this football) and yet because it doesn't suit your narrative you and others question it. You must know better than the CMO and the virologists.
Also with regards club managers saying players wouldn't play, the survey carried out by the Club Players Association indicated that only 22% of players said they would not play (57% would and 21% didn't know), if you factor in the likely hood of players with underlaying health issues like asthma etc... this is to be expected. However (for those talking about government spin) the spin from the CPA was headlines of 'players don't want to play', which was totally  disingenuous.

So almost a quarter of players said they wont play with a further 1/5 undecided.

Means many many teams wouldnt have the numbers to field - simple fact of the matter
Or you could say almost 2/3 are prepared to play with potentially a lot more. All depends on your perspective doesn't it.
I have to say the narrative from some people on here is very worrying. Just because myself and a couple of other posters are saying that we should return when the medical professionals advising the government and the GAA say so, it is being equated to not caring about if old or sick die. Horrible ascertain to make against people.
The fact of the matter is this is not a black and white issue and, as experts have said, waiting for a vaccine to return to any semblance of normality is a non starter as there is no guarantee we ever will find one. So saying that we should let those who want to play play (when advised too by the experts) is NOT saying we don't care about our communities or we are like Germany in the 30's.

Who has said we should not return when medical professionals say it is safe?
The road map is saying we should be back in July. This is the roadmap laid out by the medical professionals advising the government, therefore they are saying it is safe to go back and play whist social distancing is still taking place in some aspects of life....yet yourself and others are saying this should not happen. That's the very essence of the last few pages of this thread.
Btw in my very first post on this issue I have said that I don't think we will see football this year and i don't think the roadmap with follow as it's laid out.....BUT if the medical professionals and the government are saying it is safe to do so in July then the players who want too should be allowed too.

Cluborcountywhynotboth

Quote from: Rossfan on May 15, 2020, 01:43:01 PM
The 2 bucks obviously got out the wrong side of the bed this morning and want to have a row with someone!
As John Horan said the GAA will be guided by the public health advice but won't be returning while Social Distancing is required.
I don't want a row with anyone, you are the one in a previous post who made ridiculous comments about  Germany etc...god forbid someone would have a different opinion to yourself. 

Smurfy123

I think you will find the medical advise the government received was to go back full playing July 20 and full contact June 28 as it stands
Do you think that was put in without medical advise?
Horans words on Sunday were his own and he want on a solo run to try make a name for himself
What part of the governments roadmap are you not getting?
Where has it been mentioned that a vaccine is the only answer?
And don't come back with the social distancing crap when I drive into my local town people are on top of each other in shops takeaways etc
Wise up

imtommygunn

Then they said the GAA wasn't full contact so it's very hard to go exactly on that ???

People are meant to be social distancing. The fact that people in your town aren't is irrelevant. If we went by that rationale then we should just abandon lockdown.

(Also it's interesting you quote medical advice on the GAA front but social distancing is crap despite it being medical advice?)

Rossfan

Quote from: Cluborcountywhynotboth on May 15, 2020, 01:50:41 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on May 15, 2020, 01:43:01 PM
I don't want a row with anyone, you are the one in a previous post who made ridiculous comments about  Germany etc...god forbid someone would have a different opinion to yourself.
Everyone can have what opinions they want but Taylor, me and others are entitled to put a different opinion or to criticise the content of opinions.
As for the Germany bit I was responding to you saying old and vulnerable people should be removed from their households so younger members of the households could go off playing football 😉.

Smurfy123

I'm not saying social distancing is pointless. It's good but people now need to just be careful and stay in the distance where possible. This lockdown was brought in to flatten the curve not to prevent it. The curve is flattened in fact it has been buried. Buried
Now it's time to start things moving and get back to the NEW normal
Now you see the way I said new normal.
As I stated earlier in the things that will be new around GAA clubs. Cancer kills 450 people in the uk a day would you know?

imtommygunn

Didn't know the stats but it's larger than I would have thought on the cancer front. (Though with the contagiousness of this and the many hospices there are about then it means there are a lot of things different e.g. ICU load, palliative care etc)

It does just have to be a new normal. It just wouldn't seem right to be cautious in every aspect of your life but not when you go on a football field.

Taylor

This seems pretty hard for people to grasp.

If medical advice is we are good to go with contact sport then I want the GAA up and running asap but until it is proven to be medically safe I would not want to return.

I would not want to see one of our members or family of our members die because we rushed it.

For someone to say it would be grand to play on is frankly ludicrous. When up to a third of our players said they dont feel comfortable - they dont feel comfortable because it isnt safe not because they couldnt be arsed

Cluborcountywhynotboth

Quote from: Taylor on May 15, 2020, 03:46:44 PM

If medical advice is we are good to go with contact sport then I want the GAA up and running asap but until it is proven to be medically safe I would not want to return.

I would not want to see one of our members or family of our members die because we rushed it.

For someone to say it would be grand to play on is frankly ludicrous. When up to a third of our players said they dont feel comfortable - they dont feel comfortable because it isnt safe not because they couldnt be arsed

Again being very selective with the figures there. Up too a third..the reality is it was 22% who actually said they wouldn't, a long way short of a third and short of a quarter. What about those that do want too? Do they not count?

As for Rossfan, you are 100% entitled to your opinion and can certainly disagree with my point of view but you are not untitled to put words in other posters mouths and make ridiculous claims like we don't care about people. You a other seems to take your opinion as fact and resort to sensationalist statements to bring others down.  Also at no time did I say we should move people out of their homes, I said they should continue to cocoon/isolate as the should be doing now.

Taylor

Quote from: Cluborcountywhynotboth on May 15, 2020, 04:23:15 PM

Again being very selective with the figures there. Up too a third..the reality is it was 22% who actually said they wouldn't, a long way short of a third and short of a quarter. What about those that do want too? Do they not count?

As for Rossfan, you are 100% entitled to your opinion and can certainly disagree with my point of view but you are not untitled to put words in other posters mouths and make ridiculous claims like we don't care about people. You a other seems to take your opinion as fact and resort to sensationalist statements to bring others down.  Also at no time did I say we should move people out of their homes, I said they should continue to cocoon/isolate as the should be doing now.

Seems you have selectively ignored the rest of my post? I await your thoughts on that

Up to a third (which would be 33%)..........22% are definitely out - 21% didnt know so if we say half will go for and half will go against playing that would be a third. Hence up to a third

Cluborcountywhynotboth

Quote from: Taylor on May 15, 2020, 04:30:52 PM

Seems you have selectively ignored the rest of my post? I await your thoughts on that

Up to a third (which would be 33%)..........22% are definitely out - 21% didnt know so if we say half will go for and half will go against playing that would be a third. Hence up to a third
I have already addressed the rest of you post repeatedly. I will follow what the medical advisors say not what someone with no expertise (apologises if you are a virologist) in the areas says on a forum. Every single GAA player has a choice, it is a voluntary organisation and I am saying that they should be given the choice when the medical advice says so. You think different, you want to wait beyond what the advice currently is. That's fine, it's your prerogative.
Ok so to counter your sums I will say that you to 68%, or possibly as high as even 3/4 say they will play. Of those who have given an answer more than 2.5 times more want to play than dont, so again, do these players not count?

Rossfan

Quote from: Cluborcountywhynotboth on May 14, 2020, 12:33:32 PM
Quote from: Ed Ricketts on May 14, 2020, 12:21:10 PM
The lockdown has never been about protecting young, healthy people from the virus. Where has that idea come from? Why are people arguing against this straw man?

It's about stopping young, healthy people (and everyone else) being a conduit for virus to not so young and not so healthy people.

Inherent in the argument that young, healthy people don't die, and should therefore be allowed to play away, is the notion that old and sick people should die so that this can happen. That's reprehensible.
[/b]

. IMO the best way forward would be to shield/lockdown/cocoon whatever you want to call it, those who are vulnerable and let everyone else get on with it. So your young healthy footballer or worker or whatever will not be passing it on to someone vulnerable as they will still be isolating.

Taylor

Quote from: Cluborcountywhynotboth on May 15, 2020, 04:39:33 PM
Quote from: Taylor on May 15, 2020, 04:30:52 PM

I have already addressed the rest of you post repeatedly. I will follow what the medical advisors say not what someone with no expertise (apologises if you are a virologist) in the areas says on a forum. Every single GAA player has a choice, it is a voluntary organisation and I am saying that they should be given the choice when the medical advice says so. You think different, you want to wait beyond what the advice currently is. That's fine, it's your prerogative.
Ok so to counter your sums I will say that you to 68%, or possibly as high as even 3/4 say they will play. Of those who have given an answer more than 2.5 times more want to play than dont, so again, do these players not count?

Please do point out where I said this?
Point out where I said we should not play when medical advice says we can?  ;)