Armagh 2019

Started by Smurfy123, January 08, 2019, 07:10:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smurfy123

Has any team in the history of a pre season tournament got as carried away as them? McGeeney talking about super 8s. Soupy Campbell says the level of players that they now have is scary. McGeeney also saying they are just a level below Dublin Tyrone and Mayo. Now I know they have good players but is this not gettting slightly carried away?

BennyCake

I assumed you were either from Tyrone or Down!

Yup, we're the real thang! You better believe it ;)

Milltown Row2

Yeah how they handled Antrim will for sure put the willies up Dublin
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

dec

Armagh made the All Ireland quarter finals in 2017 and kept Roscommon close for most of the game in the 4th round in 2018 so making the Super 8s would not be a total shock depending on the draw they get.

Doing well in the Super 8s is a different matter.

Imposerous

Quote from: Smurfy123 on January 08, 2019, 07:10:51 PM
Has any team in the history of a pre season tournament got as carried away as them? McGeeney talking about super 8s. Soupy Campbell says the level of players that they now have is scary. McGeeney also saying they are just a level below Dublin Tyrone and Mayo. Now I know they have good players but is this not gettting slightly carried away?

Scared much, Smurf?

Captain Obvious

Quote from: dec on January 08, 2019, 08:26:10 PM
Armagh made the All Ireland quarter finals in 2017 and kept Roscommon close for most of the game in the 4th round in 2018 so making the Super 8s would not be a total shock depending on the draw they get.

Doing well in the Super 8s is a different matter.

This.  As of right now Armagh are moving well and should target promotion back to Division one.

regal

Quote from: Smurfy123 on January 08, 2019, 07:10:51 PM

So how many down men had paddy tally behind the ball on Sunday?

tonto1888

What away to completely misunderstand an interview. He said he would take losing to down if it meant reaching the super 8s ffs. Not did he say they were a level below those teams. He said they were the highest level.

banker

They have without doubt a very talented forward line and plenty of depth in the forwards. However their midfield and full back line are not great. IF they unearth a few players in midfield and full back they will be one to watch

tonto1888

Quote from: banker on January 09, 2019, 08:25:57 AM
They have without doubt a very talented forward line and plenty of depth in the forwards. However their midfield and full back line are not great. IF they unearth a few players in midfield and full back they will be one to watch

Young Burns looks like a player. Agree about the defence. We are too weak and our best player there is getting on a bit

Ethan Tremblay

A bit of perspective here, just like a good tabloid you seem to be cherry picking from the full story. 

McGeeney said he would prefer the super 8's than beating Down.  I would agree, as good as winning 1 gave in ulster in 5 years would be, getting away to play a few bigger teams at the tail end of the championship is where all teams want to be. 

He is also acknowledging that Dublin Tyrone and Mayo are leading the pack in terms of where teams are at all round (players, preparation, conditioning and that) and he thinks they are they are not near that standard but getting there bit by bit.   

And what Campbell is saying is true also, Murnin and Ethan Rafferty where sure fire starters last year and were playing brilliant football, but they are going to get it tough to get a place in the team.  If anyone watched the ulster club they will know the quality the 2 O'Neil players have, Clarke's pedigree speaks for itself, and Campbell himself if he is fit can be quite good.

I would say Armagh's team are twice as good as last year and they were punching well above their weight, so I suppose there is some optimism floating about for the first time in a long time. 

I tend to think of myself as a one man wolfpack...

Itchy

To reach the super 8s you need a huge slice of luck if you are in the 2nd or 3rd tier. Look at Monaghan last year getting drawn against Div 4 teams all the way. The way I look at it is you will have following teams in the back door

Munster
Cork and Tipp

Connacht
2 of Mayo, Galway, Roscommon

Ulster
3 of Donegal, Tyrone, Monaghan and Cavan

Leinster
Kildare

Thats 8 teams that are either Div 1 or would be pushing to be in Div 1 this year. If you can avoid them or at least avoid playing them away in the backdoor you have a great chance. Unfortunately you could be unlucky and draw teams of that calibre all the way through it.

Rufus T Firefly

From an Armagh point of view, all I want is for us to maximize our potential and to do that we will need our best players in place. The additions to the squad give us a real chance of achieving that.

Where would we be in the overall scheme of things? I know we're in tenth place in Laoisman11's excellent Football Rankings Table over on Boards and my guess would be that that would not be too far off the mark for us, with all hands on board. I'd be estimating that we would be top half of Division 2, which would be top twelve.

The reality therefore is an All Ireland is out of the question, and an Ulster would also be a considerable long shot, but as has been said already, with a wee bit of luck (in terms of the draw) a Super 8 place could be achievable. Playing three matches of that standard would be something that could bring the team on, as opposed to 2018, when getting to the Super 8s would likely have been three hammerings which would have done nothing for long term development.   

naka

Monaghan so far  tonite showing Armagh what a step up is
Although Armagh finding it harder to win frees

Over the Bar

Armagh for Sam is the talk all around Scarva apparently!