Armagh vs Clare 2018 R3 AI Qualifier - Athletic Grounds

Started by Solo_run, June 25, 2018, 04:21:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shark

Quote from: Syferus on June 30, 2018, 05:25:35 PM
Quote from: shark on June 30, 2018, 05:23:08 PM
Quote from: Syferus on June 30, 2018, 05:09:25 PM
No more than Tipp, Clare are well known for their second half collapses at this stage. I'd temper any Armagh optimism stemming from that comeback.

Second half collapse? They outscored Armagh from the 35th to 66th minute. It was a 6/7 minute collapse if anything.

Is the final 6/7 minutes not in the second half now? When did the rules change?

For Armagh it's a good result regardless given the position they were in. People forget they made the AIQFs last year too.

The second half is part of the entire game, so why not saw an entire game collapse? Because it wouldn't paint an accurate picture of what happened. Just like your comment.

Aaron Boone

Fair play to McGeeney and his troops. Very solid down the stretch.

armaghniac

Quote from: smelmoth on June 30, 2018, 06:55:11 PM
Sympathy for Clare. They played the better football. By a distance the best team we have played this year. But the boys dub deep in those last 10. They pushed up and went positive. The substitution of the keeper was the turning point. Clare struggled to get out of their half on his kick outs

Stunning last 10

Grugan and Murnin worth special mentions

Clare played the more efficient football, with an ability to slot over a point from 30m, although they also had a few bad misses. However, you can see how they have got some good scores. Armagh did well enough throughout the game but didn't always get the scores that should have followed. The Clare goal did give Armagh a kick up the ars e and perhaps Clare wilted a bit in the heat, like my garden.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

sam03/05

On the basis of that display today -  if Armagh make the super 8s they will be absolute cannon fodder to the likes of Dublin/ Donegal/ Kerry / Galway / Monaghan/ Tyrone
I don't think they will make the last 8 - unless they get Fermanagh again
I'd fancy Cork/ Roscommon/ Laois to beat them. Very average.

illdecide

Quote from: sam03/05 on June 30, 2018, 09:34:32 PM
On the basis of that display today -  if Armagh make the super 8s they will be absolute cannon fodder to the likes of Dublin/ Donegal/ Kerry / Galway / Monaghan/ Tyrone

Well they can't meet Fermanagh so in your words then they've no chance, none at all. Shouldn't even turn up, maybe KMcG will call them and tell them not to put the name in for the draw on Monday morning ::)
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

tonto1888

Why were you at the Armagh game and not the Tyrone one?

Sandy Hill

Oh, the bitterness oozing out of this post!
"Stercus accidit"

David McKeown

Quote from: illdecide on June 30, 2018, 09:41:27 PM

Well they can't meet Fermanagh so in your words then they've no chance, none at all. Shouldn't even turn up, maybe KMcG will call them and tell them not to put the name in for the draw on Monday morning ::)

I thought repeat pairings could happen in round 4?
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

naka

The orchard isn't wilting
Fk off back to Tyrone

tonto1888

Quote from: David McKeown on June 30, 2018, 10:16:53 PM
Quote from: illdecide on June 30, 2018, 09:41:27 PM

I thought repeat pairings could happen in round 4?

Nope. We can't get fermanagh. There was one last year because down had played. It's us and Monaghan so there had to be a repeat pairing

Owen Brannigan

Do not underestimate the effect of the heat. It was very hot sitting in the stand never mind playing a game at high tempo. The effects of dehydration were evident in the brain freezes and poor execution of simple skills in the last 20 minutes.

Loss of Clare goalkeeper was a factor.  He was their sub and third choice came on and had a torrid time.

Referee was poor enough, hopefully should have a higher standard next day out.

smelmoth

Geezer complaining about people leaving early. Did many leave? I didn't notice any. The 2 rows in front of me where people there for the hurling and I could completely understand them trying to beat the traffic but they stayed.

Went to the game worried about where the scores would come from but happy with the defence apart from the age old difficulty to coping with runners from deep. In the end we dug out the scores but the defence looked creaky. For the first 50 mins Clare's possessions to scoring rate must have been incredible. We seemed to struggle. Burns is the only one in the FB line with the pace for the job

tonto1888

Quote from: smelmoth on July 01, 2018, 08:47:00 AM
Geezer complaining about people leaving early. Did many leave? I didn't notice any. The 2 rows in front of me where people there for the hurling and I could completely understand them trying to beat the traffic but they stayed.

Went to the game worried about where the scores would come from but happy with the defence apart from the age old difficulty to coping with runners from deep. In the end we dug out the scores but the defence looked creaky. For the first 50 mins Clare's possessions to scoring rate must have been incredible. We seemed to struggle. Burns is the only one in the FB line with the pace for the job

A guy beside me left anyway. When they went 5 up so he left very early

illdecide

Quote from: tonto1888 on July 01, 2018, 12:26:57 PM
Quote from: smelmoth on July 01, 2018, 08:47:00 AM

A guy beside me left anyway. When they went 5 up so he left very early

Hope that wasn't me tonto ;)...I left a few mins early but only to make my way to the other side of the ground, i seen a few of the club men behind the goal so still seen all the game as walking around
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

mackers

Good win.  The spirit shown by the players was excellent with the likes of Grugan and Grimley really standing up when it counted despite having an iffy enough game up to that point.  Fair play to Geezer for sending on the young lads instead of some of the players who have been around for a long time and haven't really cut it.  I've said it before if any team goes toe to toe with Armagh we have a chance.  Clare came to play football with no massed defence.  We can play some nice football with the first time ball into the attack not quite working in the first half.  The wide tally is an obvious concern.
Keep your pecker hard and your powder dry and the world will turn.