Laois U20 Championship

Started by The Monument Road, October 06, 2019, 11:19:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neutralobserver

Quote from: Silkyskillssunshinee on October 16, 2019, 11:17:00 AM
Any more developments on the rumour that started around here that Eddie Kinsella is new U-20 manager? If it's true I think that it is a solid appointment. Kinsella was involved with St Paul's for many years and would know the underage scene well.

He's also helped a talented crop of Courtwood youngsters develop into potential inter-county footballers, with Niall Dunne being the prime example.

kinsella was a surprise choice for me here, won only an intermediate with courtwood but has a serious panel of young players to choose from, jsut winning 1 title with a team like that does not make you an intercounty manager, same with rosenallis, great crop of young players but you dont have to be the greatest manager to win with them as they won both hurling and football because of the players, clonaslee a few years back had a great bunch of players and they won both grades with the same manager over both codes, portlaoise over the past 10-15 years could have brough any1 in to manage them and they would have won laois senior due to the quality of the players.

ill be shot for mentioning soccer here but pep over man city or klopp over liverpool is easy coach, what about a pep or klopp over norwich, would they win, no because they dont have the quality of player

same with clancy gone back to ballyroan abbey, relegation play off from intermediate with timahoe this year and now back trying to coach seniors, no sense in it apart from money

we need to look at the bigger picture when appointing coaches and not just base it on a guy that wins a title with a very good crop of young players.

Blow-in

And the award for the greatest load of nonsense goes too........

Neutralobserver

Its my opinion and may be nonsense to some people... I'll put it this way..last year we had Billy o loughlin, kerry had jack o connor. This year we have eddie kinsella, kerry have john surgue. It's a very important grade to transition players from underage to senior and we need to appoint well established experienced managers if that means we have to head out of our own county.

BallyroanAbu

What is with this counties obsession with outside managers, most of them are utterly useless.  Jack O Connor was dreadful as Kerry U20 Manager but Kildare like ourselves are celebrating him.  Billy did pretty well last year,  this county has some sort of inferiority complex.  I cannot for the life of me figure out why we keep hiring them.   

Pull in anything bar LS in this county and they are ready to make you top dog in 5 seconds. 

Silkyskillssunshinee

Portarlington and Courtwood-Emo in final, just like it was a couple of years ago at minor level. Disappointing few days for Portlaoise.

From what I've seen of U-20 football this year Courtwood-Emo will go in as favourites. Big panel of players and most of county standard for their age. Portarlington won't fear then though.

SCFC

Quote from: Silkyskillssunshinee on November 24, 2019, 06:46:16 PM
Portarlington and Courtwood-Emo in final, just like it was a couple of years ago at minor level. Disappointing few days for Portlaoise.

From what I've seen of U-20 football this year Courtwood-Emo will go in as favourites. Big panel of players and most of county standard for their age. Portarlington won't fear then though.
Won't be much between them I reckon. Port have as many or maybe more county guys and won the corresponding minor. I would have Port as slight favourites as they will have less of a wait for the final.

BobbyBoucherJr

If maurice Deegan is reffinfg the match like he was today then I'd fancy portarlington

Neutralobserver

It's going to make a great final with the two best team there. Hopefully it will live up to it just like the minor final a month ago.

Laois fan

Quote from: BobbyBoucherJr on November 24, 2019, 08:48:11 PM
If maurice Deegan is reffinfg the match like he was today then I'd fancy portarlington
Theres always one ,I guarantee your on your own if you think maurice sided with portarlington

the sash

if you think "portlaoise Maurice" favours portarlington  you've obviously not been to too many senior championship games where he has officiated us.

SCFC

Jd

Just in from Stradbally   Great game of football serious credit to both sides for producing a game like that in December. Courtwood Emo marginally the better side and had better scoring forwards but port could have snuck it.   That Dunne chap at midfield from courtwood is a serious footballer best player on the field by far in my opinion

Silkyskillssunshinee

Quote from: Jd on December 06, 2019, 10:30:14 PM
Just in from Stradbally   Great game of football serious credit to both sides for producing a game like that in December. Courtwood Emo marginally the better side and had better scoring forwards but port could have snuck it.   That Dunne chap at midfield from courtwood is a serious footballer best player on the field by far in my opinion

Dunne is a lovely footballer no doubt but my man of the match probably would have went to Alex Mohan at full-back for Portarlington. Had to mark Jack Owens and Alan Kinsella at different periods and seemed to come out on top of both.

Great game of football and I'd imagine a fair few on either side wi ll be putting their hands up for places on the Laois senior team.

Blow-in

Why do we as a county be stone mad in looking for every young lad to be on a senior panel? Let them enjoy their Under 20 inter county first.

SCFC

Super game tonight. Conditions were very good for the time of year, credit to Stradbally.
Either team could have won it, there was nothing between them. Also thought Niall Dunne was outstanding tonight, he has some workrate. Coffey was brilliant for Port and Corcoran and Mohan too. Game played in a great spirit too.