Club mass

Started by downjim, January 14, 2019, 10:31:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

downjim

I don't a priest charges for mass but most people make a donation to him.

Itchy

Quote from: omaghjoe on January 14, 2019, 06:01:01 PM
Quote from: BennyCake on January 14, 2019, 05:30:22 PM
Quote from: Itchy on January 14, 2019, 01:42:13 PM
No fan of the church and definitely support separation of church from everything but I see no harm in having a mass for club members. Go or dont go, its up to the individual. Of course the priest should waive his 50 euro fee for such a community event.

Here, what's the deal with paying for such masses? Isn't it the priests duty to say mass for his parishioners?

No different to anyone else getting a mass said, if the priest wants to waive his fee its down to him.
But the Parish is the community it won't be able to function running at a loss, much the same as the GAA club. Im sure the treasurer would have a thing or two to say about  waiving the entrance fee for matches

The money goes to the priest in most cases.

whitey

Quote from: Itchy on January 14, 2019, 08:43:28 PM
No fan of the church and definitely support separation of church from everything but I see no harm in having a mass for club members. Go or dont go, its up to the individual. Of course the priest should waive his 50 euro fee for such a community event.

Here, what's the deal with paying for such masses? Isn't it the priests duty to say mass for his parishioners?

No different to anyone else getting a mass said, if the priest wants to waive his fee its down to him.
But the Parish is the community it won't be able to function running at a loss, much the same as the GAA club. Im sure the treasurer would have a thing or two to say about  waiving the entrance fee for matches

In a lot of clubs, isn't the parish priest the honorary president of the club? Can't imagine him hitting them up for €50 if he is.

I know of clubs that have suffered a lot of tragedy and the annual mass is a great way to bring people together., but that being said it could just as easily be held in the parish church as the club house

I know of one club where the mass coincided with a bingo night and the members couldn't hardly even get in the door there was such a throng

omaghjoe

Quote from: Itchy on January 14, 2019, 08:43:28 PM

Not always esp on a Sunday when he is likely saying multiple masses.
Anyway if he does its likely a special out of schedule mass or a regular schedule mass for which he would be getting it for anyway.

MoChara

The issue with a Club Mass is that it is almost stating this is the official religion of the GAA or particularly the Club and could feel exclusionary to people of other faiths, its probably not a big deal to most Atheists or such because we are used to religious ceremony being used more like culture than devotion in Irish society and it doesn't really matter the brand.

brokencrossbar1

thewobbler

I'm a senior official in my club and wouldn't attend a club mass if it took place in my living room.

That said I genuinely understand why some people expect and enjoy such a service, and I'll wholeheartedly support any proposals for the ceremony to be continued, so long as those who want it understand that it's not for everyone.

DuffleKing

five points

Quote from: downjim on January 14, 2019, 10:31:44 AM
A discussion  on a club mass came up last week. Personally  I want them stopped but the God squad in our club always want them. Should these be done away with?

Some day, your club will be hit by tragedy, or the life of one or more of your players or members will hang by a thread after an accident or other catastrophe.  You won't be as smart then.

Redhand Santa

Ridiculous for anyone to be giving out about a club mass. I'd say 95 per cent plus of members in most clubs over the years will have been christened, made confession, made communion, made confirmation in a chapel and if they've subsequently got married or died the wedding/funeral will have taken place in a chapel. If people who are religious want to remember these people in the chapel and other club members who have passed away then that's a nice thing to do and should be encouraged.

If the local church of Ireland (or other church) wants to remember any club members that were members of that church (or other churches) then I'd be equally as happy.

Trying to stop masses paying tribute to past members is absolutely twisted and if anyone is trying to force their opinion on others it's the people who are trying to ban the masses.

manfromdelmonte

Quote from: Redhand Santa on January 16, 2019, 11:01:27 AM
Ridiculous for anyone to be giving out about a club mass. I'd say 95 per cent plus of members in most clubs over the years will have been christened, made confession, made communion, made confirmation in a chapel and if they've subsequently got married or died the wedding/funeral will have taken place in a chapel. If people who are religious want to remember these people in the chapel and other club members who have passed away then that's a nice thing to do and should be encouraged.

If the local church of Ireland (or other church) wants to remember any club members that were members of that church (or other churches) then I'd be equally as happy.

Trying to stop masses paying tribute to past members is absolutely twisted and if anyone is trying to force their opinion on others it's the people who are trying to ban the masses.
Having a club mass in defacto makes the club a Catholic organisation
There should be zero mention of any religion in a GAA club

thewobbler

Quote from: manfromdelmonte on January 17, 2019, 12:06:20 AM

The organisations whether we like it or not have were intertwined since the birth of the GAA.

While it might not be "modern inclusive" to set aside a single function a year that allows those who still feel like this to celebrate it, it would generally be wiser step than disenfranchising those who feel it is important.

Club masses will die out naturally over the next generation or two. There's no need to force the situation through.

johnnycool

Quote from: thewobbler on January 17, 2019, 01:03:16 AM

The organisations whether we like it or not have were intertwined since the birth of the GAA.

While it might not be "modern inclusive" to set aside a single function a year that allows those who still feel like this to celebrate it, it would generally be wiser step than disenfranchising those who feel it is important.

Club masses will die out naturally over the next generation or two. There's no need to force the situation through.

Not a big fan of Mass to begin with but if the rest of the club want to go to the local church to remember past members then that's fine.

Any club still getting new sets of jerseys blessed?

westbound

Quote from: johnnycool on January 17, 2019, 09:10:13 AM

Not a big fan of Mass to begin with but if the rest of the club want to go to the local church to remember past members then that's fine.

Was that a thing?
Don't ever remember that done in our club! Maybe that's why we didn't win too much!!  :P

TabClear

Quote from: westbound on January 17, 2019, 10:09:35 AM
Quote from: johnnycool on January 17, 2019, 09:10:13 AM

Was that a thing?
Don't ever remember that done in our club! Maybe that's why we didn't win too much!!  :P

Maybe Fr Horan would have been better served blessing a few county jerseys than worrying about an airport back in the day ;) ;)