There's an elephant in the room.

Started by Denn Forever, January 11, 2020, 11:43:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Denn Forever

The government's back.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-northern-ireland-51071827

how about, I'm just spit ballin here, the First and Deputy first ministers come from the parties that came 3rd and 4th?  Couldn't be any worse (I know they could) and they wouldn't be so big that there members would not be forcing red lines on them.

Hold a minute I have feed my Unicorn.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

Rossfan

I love the bit where the fkn Orange Order says it has "serious concerns about the Irish language provisions and it cant support the deal".

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

seafoid

Is gaire cabhair Boris nĂ¡ an doras.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

trailer

It's great to see them all back. Now the actual work begins.

playwiththewind1st

Milltown Row2

Quote from: playwiththewind1st on January 11, 2020, 10:14:34 PM
I would give it 6 months, tops.

As long as they sort out Casement, flyover at the M2 westlink, education, and more importantly the health services. Then they can f**k off
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

BennyCake

playwiththewind1st

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on January 11, 2020, 10:45:32 PM

As long as they sort out Casement, flyover at the M2 westlink, education, and more importantly the health services. Then they can f**k off

It's slightly incredible that a man who, only a few short months ago, wanted to spend the traditional "more time with the family", suddenly performs an about turn & takes on the Health Department - possibly the worst job of them all. That doesn't quite stack up. Plus, it doesn't look like you need to have been in Stormont at all to become a Minister nowadays. Two of the new Ministers have been at Stormont I'd say for at least a week. Do you get the impression now that the RHI report has been watered down in the interim & that Foster thinks she won't be getting her P45?

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: playwiththewind1st on January 12, 2020, 12:23:35 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on January 11, 2020, 10:45:32 PM

It's slightly incredible that a man who, only a few short months ago, wanted to spend the traditional "more time with the family", suddenly performs an about turn & takes on the Health Department - possibly the worst job of them all. That doesn't quite stack up. Plus, it doesn't look like you need to have been in Stormont at all to become a Minister nowadays. Two of the new Ministers have been at Stormont I'd say for at least a week. Do you get the impression now that the RHI report has been watered down in the interim & that Foster thinks she won't be getting her P45?

It will be well watered down and both DUP/SF will be in cahoots on that

smelmoth

No doubt MR2 and Playwiththewind1st will inform us what the report said before it was watered down and why the independent investigators will have changed their report?

The evidence was held in public so there isn't going to be any big surprises. Anybody expecting a smoking gun would do well to pinpoint the smoking gun in the public evidence that they are relying on.

Basically we have to anticipate a milder version of McBride's book. After all McBride has all the same evidence but is a (damn good) journalist with a book to sell rather than a judge.

playwiththewind1st

Quote from: smelmoth on January 12, 2020, 02:11:53 PM
No doubt MR2 and Playwiththewind1st will inform us what the report said before it was watered down and why the independent investigators will have changed their report?

The evidence was held in public so there isn't going to be any big surprises. Anybody expecting a smoking gun would do well to pinpoint the smoking gun in the public evidence that they are relying on.

Basically we have to anticipate a milder version of McBride's book. After all McBride has all the same evidence but is a (damn good) journalist with a book to sell rather than a judge.

It's no secret that the report was shown to certain people, quite a while back & they had the opportunity to ahem 'comment' on the proposed contents.  I believe it was Robert Maxwell kicked this all off years ago, with a legal challenge.

smelmoth

Quote from: BennyCake on January 11, 2020, 10:51:04 PM

I'll give it 6 weeks.

Who knows.

SF and DUP can do this with the other 3 parties or possibly as a duopoly if they can agree on the Justice portfolio.

Neither wants an election. Impossible to conceive of any election not resulting in both parties getting a reduced number of seats.

It is finally dawned on some within DUP that their electoral success is built upon a coalition of extreme bigots (which TUV aside will always vote and always vote DUP) and pragmatic unionists who vote for the likely winning unionist ticket (who won't keep voting for the current shambles). The latter group only have to drift from DUP by the amount of the seat winning margins. Seat winning margins have got a lot smaller as the centre have rallied around Alliance - especially younger voters.

SF have had to wake up to 4 key issues;
1. Running away from government in NI doesn't help you convince the RoI electorate that you are a viable alternative.
2. Power sharing in NI has to work for a UI to be a possibility. The RoI referendum on a UI isn't going to vote in favour of taking on a problem.
3. Power sharing has to work beyond a UI. You don't want to set the precedent and blueprint for fecking about with power sharing for truculent unionists to follow.
4. Right here and now the nationalist electorate won't keep voting for SF to do nothing.

SF and DUP have probably finally worked out that politics isn't just about elections and salaries

smelmoth

Quote from: playwiththewind1st on January 12, 2020, 02:24:23 PM
Quote from: smelmoth on January 12, 2020, 02:11:53 PM

It's no secret that the report was shown to certain people, quite a while back & they had the opportunity to ahem 'comment' on the proposed contents.  I believe it was Robert Maxwell kicked this all off years ago, with a legal challenge.

By "certain people" you no doubt mean everyone criticised in the report. Standard practice in any inquiry.

By "comment" you no doubt mean be given the opportunity to mount a legal challenge to the criticism via judicial review prior to publication. Again standard practice.

Are you inferring that something untoward is at play??

playwiththewind1st

Well Snarlene is certainly looking fairly chipper & somewhat more smug than she has any right to be, given her trials & tribulations.