Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gaelforce123

Leagues look settled at this stage, regardless of winners etc

Div 1: Carryduff & Loughinisland top 2
Relegated: Bryansford & Longstone

Div 2: Ballyholland & The Town up
Relegated: Drumgath & any one of Fontenoys, Rostrevor, Glenn & Shamrocks down. Looking at it with the final fixtures i would say Glenn are in toughest position, 1 each on head to head with Shamrocks and a much poorer score difference, this will come down to what teams Ballyholland and Rgu field in the next two weeks, reserve championship could mean top 13s cant be rested.

Div 3: St Johns & An Riocht up (most likely) Ballymartin slip up last night eases the pressure on The Kingdom. Annaclone can catch however they have St Johns to go with An Riocht having St Pauls. The game with Ballymartin on Monday will determine if anyone else has a chance of promotion
Relegated: St Pauls are down, any one of Drumaness, D Cross, Tullylish or Banbridge can go down.... Scares for big teams in Darragh Cross and Tullylish this year, recent run of results should pull the latter out but numerically can go down, have Darragh Cross and St Pauls left. D Cross having to play Tullylish & Banbridge is going to be tough but are at home for both. Drumaness have Ballymartin and Atticall, again could come down to who plays and the hunger of safe teams, interesting run in.

Div 4: Bosco and Finn are up
Bottom Half: No relegation but overall St Michaels, Glassdruman & Aghaderg have won one game all year. Aghaderg a few draws. Since the split Dundrum have struggled in 4B in latter part of season and will be happy to have got points in first half of season.

thewobbler

Harps put in their best performance of the season last night in securing the D2 title. RGU are a very decent side and were very much up for it, but on the night we were just that bit more decisive, clinical, determined.

It's now clear we are too good for D2. Here's hoping we use the season as a springboard like CPN and Island have done in the recent past.

County Star

Quote from: Gaelforce123 on July 29, 2023, 01:13:56 PM

Relegated: Drumgath & any one of Fontenoys, Rostrevor, Glenn & Shamrocks down. Looking at it with the final fixtures i would say Glenn are in toughest position, 1 each on head to head with Shamrocks and a much poorer score difference, this will come down to what teams Ballyholland and Rgu field in the next two weeks, reserve championship could mean top 13s cant be rested.

Div 3: St Johns & An Riocht up (most likely) Ballymartin slip up last night eases the pressure on The Kingdom. Annaclone can catch however they have St Johns to go with An Riocht having St Pauls. The game with Ballymartin on Monday will determine if anyone else has a chance of promotion
Relegated: St Pauls are down, any one of Drumaness, D Cross, Tullylish or Banbridge can go down.... Scares for big teams in Darragh Cross and Tullylish this year, recent run of results should pull the latter out but numerically can go down, have Darragh Cross and St Pauls left. D Cross having to play Tullylish & Banbridge is going to be tough but are at home for both. Drumaness have Ballymartin and Atticall, again could come down to who plays and the hunger of safe teams, interesting run in.

Bottom Half: No relegation but overall St Michaels, Glassdruman & Aghaderg have won one game all year. Aghaderg a few draws. Since the split Dundrum have struggled in 4B in latter part of season and will be happy to have got points in first half of season.

Fancy Loughinisland to win Div 1
Would be a shock to see Glenn go down

Ballyholland by far an away the best in Div 2. Castlewellan lucky that RGU and Saul missed their county players for a lot of games. Though have been impressive anyway

Div 3 St John's far and away the best of the lot even without Gilmore

Would be a shock to see Darragh cross or Clann na. Banna in Div 4

Bosco won Div 4 handy enough in the end they prob have the best equipped sqaud for Div  3

Aughlisnafin going up has been mightly impressive. They Will find it tough in Div 3 but they have good players there by the looks of it maybe just not big enough of a panel

Can't wait until the championship gets going now.

Kilcoo for SFC
St John's for IFC
Drumaness for JFC

Nanderson

Quote from: County Star on July 29, 2023, 04:50:01 PM
Quote from: Gaelforce123 on July 29, 2023, 01:13:56 PM

Fancy Loughinisland to win Div 1
Would be a shock to see Glenn go down

Ballyholland by far an away the best in Div 2. Castlewellan lucky that RGU and Saul missed their county players for a lot of games. Though have been impressive anyway

Div 3 St John's far and away the best of the lot even without Gilmore

Would be a shock to see Darragh cross or Clann na. Banna in Div 4

Bosco won Div 4 handy enough in the end they prob have the best equipped sqaud forbdiv 3

Aughlisnafin going up has been mightly impressive. Will find it tough in Div 3 but they have good players there by the looks of it maybe just not big enough of a panel

Can't wait until the championship gets going now
Wouldn't agree with that. An Riocht still can win the league if they win all of their remaining games

County Star

An Riocht play St John's in the last game. Reckon St John's will win it

Johnnysboys

After watching the final yesterday - it is a blessing we didn't win the B championship. Imagine being pitted in a group with either of those teams - the Armagh result from this year would be deemed a good one. The level of the game was through the roof and the physicality of both teams was extreme. We are light years away from that - thank god for Meath.

Club scene hotting up now with promotion sorted from all divisions and a few relegations also sorted. Two fixtures remaining in preparation for the championship which is a month away. Whilst we suffered at the hands of the noisy neighbours on Friday - we won't be that far away come championship (I hope). Getting injured players back and some returning to the pitch in nxt few weeks is priority. Holidays are done - it's time for the real football to begin.

Truth hurts

The failure of the Town and Bryansford to field at premier reserve level demonstrates the county's disinterest towards reserve football. How can we change this when two of our biggest clubs are unable to field?.

TakeTheMark

Quote from: Truth hurts on July 31, 2023, 12:12:14 PM
The failure of the Town and Bryansford to field at premier reserve level demonstrates the county's disinterest towards reserve football. How can we change this when two of our biggest clubs are unable to field?.

What is with this constant assumption that teams are simply choosing not to play, instead of genuinely not having the numbers? I can tell you that I come from a club that has been fortunate enough to play most games this season, but some games we had a bare 15 with no subs. With the top 13 list, along with injuries and young lads that work on a Saturday, we struggle to make up a team. I would imagine that many teams up and down the county suffer with this too.

thewobbler

An 18 game season probably is too long for reserve football.

By week 9-10, most clubs can no longer win their league. And as the format and entries change year on year, relegation isn't a concern.

It takes a good 'un to drive across Down for a reserve game with nothing at stake.

clonian

Quote from: thewobbler on July 31, 2023, 01:35:44 PM
An 18 game season probably is too long for reserve football.

By week 9-10, most clubs can no longer win their league. And as the format and entries change year on year, relegation isn't a concern.

It takes a good 'un to drive across Down for a reserve game with nothing at stake.

I said that 4 years ago when I stopped playing reserves - a game every other week would work for most clubs and players. I can't understand the boards need to play a load of games especially at that level. I think sometimes there's a bit of 'stop them playing something else' in it.

Lads in the local soccer club were saying they were struggling to get the 2nd and 3rds level lads to commit to a full season there too. They start in mid August and there could be games every Saturday more or less to May. A bit less would probably help them too. Rathfriland's 1st team played over 50 matches last season!

It was ok years ago to head away every Saturday or Sunday for whatever sport you play; GAA, soccer or even golf; but lads with families have less time to give nowadays. When I played reserve matches you were away for just after 12 and not back to after 5 if it was away to Downpatrick or Carryduff. There was no one welcoming you back home after that. At least with golf you can pick your own time.

Johnnysboys

I said that 4 years ago when I stopped playing reserves - a game every other week would work for most clubs and players. I can't understand the boards need to play a load of games especially at that level. I think sometimes there's a bit of 'stop them playing something else' in it.

Lads in the local soccer club were saying they were struggling to get the 2nd and 3rds level lads to commit to a full season there too. They start in mid August and there could be games every Saturday more or less to May. A bit less would probably help them too. Rathfriland's 1st team played over 50 matches last season!

It was ok years ago to head away every Saturday or Sunday for whatever sport you play; GAA, soccer or even golf; but lads with families have less time to give nowadays. When I played reserve matches you were away for just after 12 and not back to after 5 if it was away to Downpatrick or Carryduff. There was no one welcoming you back home after that. At least with golf you can pick your own time.
[/quote]

Why do clubs sign up for seconds/thirds football if they cannot field? Everyone wants what suits them nowadays - fancy a bit of seconds in march/April - I'll do that - bored in May so won't bother going. Soccer starts in August - try a bit of that. Bored in October- won't go back. Repeat.

Truth hurts

There needs to be tougher sanctions

Square Ball

Quote from: Truth hurts on July 31, 2023, 05:02:53 PM

Like what? Club's sign up because players say then will play, so if players give up, get injured, leave to get work, family commitments ect what can the club do? They may not have enough availabile players to fulfil fixtures. What's your answer, beside tougher sanctions?
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

Hard2Listen2

Quote from: Truth hurts on July 31, 2023, 05:02:53 PM

Bit rich coming from a man who claims to be from a club that don't even field a senior team!!

Mourne Red

When do the Senior/Intermediate championship start? (Football) Will fire up the prediction competition
again this year.. Will add JFC once it gets to knockouts