Brexit.

Started by T Fearon, November 01, 2015, 06:04:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

screenexile

Quote from: t_mac on October 02, 2019, 03:38:20 PM
Letter been sent. https://www.rte.ie/news/brexit/2019/1002/1079558-uk/

Load of shit they know it's not gonna fly it's the only reason the DUP are on board. There's no way the DUP are going with that if there's a chance it passes.

I nearly hope the EU go for it and watch the DUP f**king squirm!!! Also it's still a pretty good deal for the rest of us!

EDIT: SCRAP THAT IT'S NOT

Hound

The nonsense "non-paper" leaks have done their job in making this proposal at least seem somewhat reasonable.

It won't be accepted of course, thanks to the Hillary Benn bill, there's no incentive for the EU to compromise.

If there had been no such bill and we were left with a choice between this and No Deal, then it may have had a chance (although would certainly have got some important tweaks).

From an Irish point of view, this proposal is way better than a No Deal scenario. The Stormont veto would definitely be unwanted, but in the cold light of day, would the DUP really veto this when their business supporters would be lobbying hard for them to ratify? But all moot, given the EU will likely bin this.

imtommygunn

Quote from: Farrandeelin on October 02, 2019, 12:47:10 PM
Quote from: t_mac on October 02, 2019, 11:50:35 AM
Basically Boris is just putting ball in EU court to blame them for No Deal, which is what he wanted all along.

Yes and the right wing little Englanders in the press and media will lap it up

The daily mail will have a field day. I hope harry takes them for everything they have lol.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Hound on October 02, 2019, 04:25:58 PM
The nonsense "non-paper" leaks have done their job in making this proposal at least seem somewhat reasonable.

It won't be accepted of course, thanks to the Hillary Benn bill, there's no incentive for the EU to compromise.

If there had been no such bill and we were left with a choice between this and No Deal, then it may have had a chance (although would certainly have got some important tweaks).

From an Irish point of view, this proposal is way better than a No Deal scenario. The Stormont veto would definitely be unwanted, but in the cold light of day, would the DUP really veto this when their business supporters would be lobbying hard for them to ratify? But all moot, given the EU will likely bin this.
Exactly. The EU have no reason to worry - they'll wait around for a GE and if Boris wins by majority they can then give some consideration to proposals but they'll be in no rush until then.

omaghjoe

There's a simple counter to this that the EU could put forward safe in the knowledge that the Tories/DUP would reject it and thus make them look like they are the ones rejecting the people's will.

That is... the special zone in NI could be passed by a simple majority in Stormont and in the case of Stormont not sitting NI could decide by voting on it.

yellowcard

Complete non runner and it was designed in the full knowledge and expectation that it will be rejected. Over 3 years and they never came up with anything realistic it was never likely that they would produce something workable in the space of a few weeks. The DUP now rowing in behind a worst of both worlds deal is bizarre but they seem to be completely seduced by Johnson's Tory government and the ERG brigade.

weareros

Quote from: yellowcard on October 02, 2019, 05:53:46 PM
Complete non runner and it was designed in the full knowledge and expectation that it will be rejected. Over 3 years and they never came up with anything realistic it was never likely that they would produce something workable in the space of a few weeks. The DUP now rowing in behind a worst of both worlds deal is bizarre but they seem to be completely seduced by Johnson's Tory government and the ERG brigade.

Correct I think that he is putting something that will rejected.
Bizarre that DUP signed up for border in Irish sea (one of the 2 new borders added, which now means 3 borders), but perhaps they are being crafty knowing they can then veto it in 2 years time. Then again, what if there's no assembly.

Rossfan

I think it's safe to say SF won't go back to Stormont to facilitate this.
Why don't they put it to the people of the 6 Cos in a referendum?

Probably because DUPUDA are not a majority and couldn't veto the result.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

GJL

Quote from: Rossfan on October 02, 2019, 06:37:32 PM
I think it's safe to say SF won't go back to Stormont to facilitate this.
Why don't they put it to the people of the 6 Cos in a referendum?

Probably because DUPUDA are not a majority and couldn't veto the result.

I think I heard on the news that if there is no assembly then it is done by NI referendum.

playwiththewind1st

Feckin referenda only cause problems....remember 2016.

Hereiam

Do people really thing the DUP want Stormont and the good Friday agreement to work. Come on lads this has been their goal from the start

Eamonnca1

So let me get this straight. Johnson's proposal is for a border in the Irish Sea (which the DUP oppose) plus another border on the island of Ireland (which the DUP claim to also oppose). And the DUP are in favour of this? Is that the height of it or am I missing something obvious?

Farrandeelin

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on October 03, 2019, 04:12:14 AM
So let me get this straight. Johnson's proposal is for a border in the Irish Sea (which the DUP oppose) plus another border on the island of Ireland (which the DUP claim to also oppose). And the DUP are in favour of this? Is that the height of it or am I missing something obvious?

That's it in a nutshell. Tony Connolly tweeted saying the Telegraph concluded last night it'll be the Irish govt that prevents a deal getting through, if of course there's no deal. Which is becoming more likely at the minute. Although the Benn act has put a spanner in the works in that department!
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

t_mac

Quote from: Farrandeelin on October 03, 2019, 07:55:27 AM
Quote from: Eamonnca1 on October 03, 2019, 04:12:14 AM

That's it in a nutshell. Tony Connolly tweeted saying the Telegraph concluded last night it'll be the Irish govt that prevents a deal getting through, if of course there's no deal. Which is becoming more likely at the minute. Although the Benn act has put a spanner in the works in that department!

That was that w**ker Cummings objective from the outset, in fairness he has managed Bojo very well, surrender, betrayal and now they have made compromises which they really haven't so when they use one legal loophole or another to get round the Benn Act, the reason for No Deal will be the EU and in particular Ireland.