The IRISH RUGBY thread

Started by Donnellys Hollow, October 27, 2009, 05:26:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seafoid

Quote from: imtommygunn on October 27, 2019, 04:41:57 PM
Do the best athletes play GAA sports?

They are split between aussie rules, soccer, GAA and rugby. There's nothing to say the better ones play GAA. It's not like th GAA ones who went to soccer are bad.
It's not. I would say that GAA has the biggest pool. Doesn't mean anything beyond that
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

imtommygunn

That doesn't mean the best athletes play/choose GAA over other sports.

Some of those rugby boys I'd love to have seen play GAA at the top level. O'Driscoll / Kearney in particular.

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: imtommygunn on October 27, 2019, 05:03:54 PM

Some of those rugby boys I'd love to have seen play GAA at the top level. O'Driscoll / Kearney in particular.

Kearney definitely

Itchy

What makes you think they'd have anywhere near the ball skill to play GAA. Like I've said before, skillset for rugby has a much lower bar than soccer, Football or Hurling.

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: Itchy on October 27, 2019, 06:27:55 PM
What makes you think they'd have anywhere near the ball skill to play GAA. Like I've said before, skillset for rugby has a much lower bar than soccer, Football or Hurling.

I'd argue a scum half, fly half and inside centre is just as talented. Not really comparable, like saying a GAA player wouldn't make it in rugby when truth is, they are pretty much tailor made for Backs.

AZOffaly

Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on October 27, 2019, 05:43:25 PM
Quote from: imtommygunn on October 27, 2019, 05:03:54 PM

Kearney definitely

Kearney played for Louth Minors I'm nearly sure.

bennydorano

https://m.independent.ie/sport/rugby/international-rugby/paul-kimmage-i-have-more-questions-for-jamie-heaslip-but-will-he-answer-them-38634240.html

I suspect Kimmage has nothing up his sleeve after reading this tbh, trying to flush Heaslip & Cooper out to give him answers.

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: Main Street on October 27, 2019, 11:19:18 AM
Quote from: screenexile on October 27, 2019, 12:38:57 AM
Quote from: Main Street on October 26, 2019, 11:04:43 PM
Quote from: GetOverTheBar on October 24, 2019, 12:48:08 PM
Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on October 24, 2019, 12:34:37 PM
Quote from: GetOverTheBar on October 23, 2019, 10:04:12 AM
Not to stick the head in the sand and defend Heaslip, but his failed test was as a result of re clarification on the ratio of Testosterone in humans threshold.

He (naturally) apparently was 5:1....the new classification was 4:1....it's close enough to kind of explain, it's not out of the question that he was a freak. Although it does raise questions on microdosing.

Fine. So why spin it? Why pretend one agency tested him over another?

I can't answer that, but for such a fine a margin - I would be inclined to believe that the story is as it is. As to why he said it was one agency over another? Perhaps he's an idiot....I really find that one strange myself.
Heaslip has nothing to answer for and certainly not to people who value conjecture over 'substance'.

Any veil of uncertainty in any sport should be answered otherwise what's the point??
That's nonsense when the the  slightest of veils of uncertainty are  based on conjecture and cynicism. Heaslip has nothing  remotely relating to value to answer for.

He has to answer why he got his test fail story wrong.

Kimmage is calling him out on denying there is any doping in rugby today.

Itchy

Quote from: GetOverTheBar on October 27, 2019, 06:35:35 PM

I'd argue a scum half, fly half and inside centre is just as talented. Not really comparable, like saying a GAA player wouldn't make it in rugby when truth is, they are pretty much tailor made for Backs.

Well we will have to agree to differ. I have seen people who have played GAA adapt pretty well to different positions in rugby but I have never seen a rugby player be able to adapt to playing GAA or soccer without looking hopelessly clumsy. That's just my experience.

Walter Cronc

Quote from: Itchy on October 27, 2019, 07:50:48 PM

Well we will have to agree to differ. I have seen people who have played GAA adapt pretty well to different positions in rugby but I have never seen a rugby player be able to adapt to playing GAA or soccer without looking hopelessly clumsy. That's just my experience.

Aye Cavan a real yardstick for talent!

seafoid

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/international/irish-rugby-must-look-to-gaa-s-top-talent-for-a-brighter-future-1.4056933?mode=amp
The "freaks" can be found inside this island's most fiercely protected strongholds, Kilkenny hurling and Kerry football, who periodically gift rugby delicious crumbs like Willie Duggan or Mick Galwey. Cork possesses thousands of gifted athletes who never get anywhere near an oval ball. The Ó hAilpín brothers from Fiji were just as athletic as Sevu Reece. Seán Óg still works in the bank. Setanta settled in Sydney.

What's never been so obvious is if the Ireland team's bulk supplier continues to be two fee-paying schools separated by the Rock road in south county Dublin, then the Fields of Athenry being sung with gusto during the haka will remain the high water mark for Irish rugby at World Cups, because the balance of power will never change.

"Our preparation was brilliant, I thought," said Josh van der Flier.

There has never been enough Jamens Ryans and Paul O'Connells together in the same team. That's always been the problem. Maybe that is about to change. The coming generation of professionals might produce a good enough spread of athletes.New Zealand replace greatness with greatness. Devin Toner filled the O'Connell gap until Ryan was ready. If you want to find a line of Jack Goodhues or Barrett brothers then scout the Laois juvenile football scene. Roscommon has plenty more Jack Cartys.

Otherwise, forget about living with any generation of All Blacks.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Itchy

Quote from: Walter Cronc on October 27, 2019, 08:04:03 PM

And Derry is?

Walter Cronc

Quote from: Itchy on October 27, 2019, 08:24:37 PM

And Derry is?

You know it  8)

under the bar

Quote from: Itchy on October 27, 2019, 08:24:37 PM

And Derry is?

Tyrone's bitch... ;)

screenexile

Not very Christian language now utb go away and say 3 Rosaries for your penance!!

#prayformickey