Tyrone Club Football and Hurling

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, November 09, 2006, 10:54:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

omagh_gael

We rescued a point from a goal straight from a 20m free deep into injury time. We had a very poor start to the game but came storming back in last 15. We're now second by ourselves with Galbally out in front on 10 points.

Galbally will be the team tonight. They fairly put the brakes on Clogher's fine start to the year. Hammered them last night.

Other stand out results were Pomeroy being held by Strabane and Beragh taking a point against Moortown.

SkillfulBill

General question here what is the feeling about the level of referring  in the county. My understanding is that we have lost a number of referees to other counties this year and I would wonder what the general feeling is for the level of officiating this year.Given that we have lost what is in my mind a couple of decent refs over the last few years.

Gaafan2

Quote from: SkillfulBill on April 27, 2019, 10:52:45 PM
General question here what is the feeling about the level of referring  in the county. My understanding is that we have lost a number of referees to other counties this year and I would wonder what the general feeling is for the level of officiating this year.Given that we have lost what is in my mind a couple of decent refs over the last few years.

We had a fella from killyclogher (not sure of his name) refereeing our game on Friday night who was awful. He kept Strabane in the game with frees. 11 of their 12 points game from frees, the majority of them soft. One of the frees he gave was inside the box and should it have been deemed a free it was a penalty but apparently he said 'it was too soft to be a penalty'. Frustrating!

omagh_gael

Quote from: referee on April 28, 2019, 01:38:48 AM
Beragh beat the moortin

Just noticed my error. Meant to say "Beragh taking the points."

TF15

Realistically we'll keep losing referees as our treatment of them in Tyrone and in the GAA as a whole is very poor. It's an extremely difficult job where generally management are barking constantly from the sideline and 30 players in some form or another are trying to con the referee in some regard. I've done it myself, everyone has. Whether that's as blatant as exaggerating contact to win a free or calling a sideline ball for your team when you know it's not actually yours. Generally they all try their best, most of the time it probably is substandard. However, because of our treatment of referees you generally will scare off many potential candidates.

TabClear

Quote from: TF15 on April 29, 2019, 04:52:25 AM
Realistically we'll keep losing referees as our treatment of them in Tyrone and in the GAA as a whole is very poor. It's an extremely difficult job where generally management are barking constantly from the sideline and 30 players in some form or another are trying to con the referee in some regard. I've done it myself, everyone has. Whether that's as blatant as exaggerating contact to win a free or calling a sideline ball for your team when you know it's not actually yours. Generally they all try their best, most of the time it probably is substandard. However, because of our treatment of referees you generally will scare off many potential candidates.

Its a thankless task. Yes there are some poor referees but the abuse they get from the sideline and stands is a disgrace. I actually find the majority of players generally are not too bad.

I do always question the mentality of  the morons in the dugout roaring abuse at the ref. If I was a ref and was getting dogs abuse from a particular team I would take great delight in awarding the next 50:50 (or 70:30) call against them! I certainly would not be giving them the benefit of the doubt.

Wee Roddy

This is the problem as far as I can see. Some idiot in the crowd who goes to 3 matches a year shouts at a referee and the referee then makes 30 lads and management suffer by wasting a whole years training on 1 decision, perhaps evening meaning a manager is asked to step down.
Generally the standard of refereeing is ok but there are two referees who i know when i see them coming to Carrickmore I know we will have a tough afternoon, and this just isn't right.

southtyronegael

Some display by Darragh kavanagh yesterday. Kicked 1-13. Would have been interesting to see him get a bit of county football to see if he up to it.

The Bearded One

It is what it is. Presumably.

TyroneOnlooker

Quote from: southtyronegael on April 29, 2019, 12:10:55 PM
Quote from: The Bearded One on April 29, 2019, 12:03:31 PM
He's not.
and you would know this because?

Daire Kavanagh is a good club footballer and would start in every club team in the county but he's not a county footballer. I have seen him on several occasions against top level club and county defenders and he doesn't get the better of them. No shame in that, he'll still terrorise most defenders he plays against in div 2 and nothing wrong with being classed as a good club player but just below county standard.

southtyronegael

You could be right tyroneonlooker but he was on the u21 squad that won the ai in 2015 and should his scoring exploits this last couple of years not have earned him a county trial or a bit of Mc Kenna cup football to get a better look?

youhavenofans

Quote from: southtyronegael on April 29, 2019, 12:48:15 PM
You could be right tyroneonlooker but he was on the u21 squad that won the ai in 2015 and should his scoring exploits this last couple of years not have earned him a county trial or a bit of Mc Kenna cup football to get a better look?

he was on the squad but not sure if he was even in the 26. Is he any better than M Bradley, Skeet, Brennan, Canavan? Them boys would put up some scores in D2. Darragh is a good footballer but not county level.

skeog

Seen several games this campaign Martin Sludden was the best referee of the lot imo.Doesnt say much for the younger brigade.

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: southtyronegael on April 29, 2019, 12:48:15 PM

Was he not up for a few trial games?

He's a good player, he's just very small and doesn't possess the explosiveness of someone in that mould like Mark Bradley. He would be swallowed up by the likes of Philly McMahon or Brendan Harrison.