FAI...New Manager Hunt continues

Started by CĂșig huaire, November 19, 2009, 01:34:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

From the Bunker

Quote from: Itchy on September 08, 2018, 10:14:14 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on September 08, 2018, 09:41:13 PM
Quote from: Itchy on September 08, 2018, 09:23:04 PM
We complain about the GAA but thet are light years ahead of the clowns running Irish soccer.

That's what you think!

You think different?

Yes I do, I think the GAA has been making pot loads of money off of the good will of people for a Century and a quarter. In recent years they have got more caught up with making more and more money. This has gradually been to the detriment of the Game. The have gotten too big for their boots by over developing Dublin GAA - the ultimate Cash Cow.

You have also to remember that the GAA isolated and condemned our soccer brethren until the early 1970's in a harsh and hostile way. Backed by the Clergy and the Parish system they made it impossible for rural areas to play the play the game. They encouraged attitudes that are still prevalent today towards soccer.

So before you get high and mighty about how great an organistion the GAA is look at what it has done for your county. How much it cares about it. And how long this has been going on!

Bord na Mona man

Quote from: From the Bunker on September 08, 2018, 10:39:07 PM
We complain about the GAA but thet are light years ahead of the clowns running Irish soccer.

That's what you think!

You think different?

Yes I do, I think the GAA has been making pot loads of money off of the good will of people for a Century and a quarter. In recent years they have got more caught up with making more and more money. This has gradually been to the detriment of the Game. The have gotten too big for their boots by over developing Dublin GAA - the ultimate Cash Cow.

You have also to remember that the GAA isolated and condemned our soccer brethren until the early 1970's in a harsh and hostile way. Backed by the Clergy and the Parish system they made it impossible for rural areas to play the play the game. They encouraged attitudes that are still prevalent today towards soccer.

So before you get high and mighty about how great an organistion the GAA is look at what it has done for your county. How much it cares about it. And how long this has been going on!
So how come Ireland's best players, several of them backboning the best club teams in the world were produced during this supposed era of GAA suppression? And now that the Ban is long gone the Irish system is producing absolute manure?

Itchy

That's what you think!

You think different?

You may not think the distribution of gaa monies is fair but at least you can see where it goes. There are no fat cats and corrupt suits pocketing the money. Have you ever met John Delaney,  I have and he's a disgrace of a man to lead any organisation. Look at the league of Ireland, look at your local soccer clubs, most playing in council grounds. They are a totally fucked up organisation. GAA far from perfect but not near that level. As for GAA stopping soccer in rural Ireland, if people wanted it they could've started it, GAA isn't sone bogey man that stopped people's free will. By the way I played both sports at a decent local level , been members and still am member of both organisations.

Oh and when we are on the subject. Which organisation, today, is asking nation wide 14 year olds to sign "contracts" to stop playing GAA, Rugby and best of all soccer with their own clubs and instead join their daft regional teams and compete in a bubble. Could that be considered oppression of other sports as that is widespread, even in your own county. If the GAA did it there would be articles in newspaper every week about it. I have seen so many kids go backwards in soccer because of this it is not funny - all convinced they are the elite and will be the next premier league player. Little do they know its 1 in a million their chance.

From the Bunker

Quote from: Itchy on September 08, 2018, 10:59:51 PM

That's what you think!

You think different?

You may not think the distribution of gaa monies is fair but at least you can see where it goes. There are no fat cats and corrupt suits pocketing the money. Have you ever met John Delaney,  I have and he's a disgrace of a man to lead any organisation. Look at the league of Ireland, look at your local soccer clubs, most playing in council grounds. They are a totally fucked up organisation. GAA far from perfect but not near that level. As for GAA stopping soccer in rural Ireland, if people wanted it they could've started it, GAA isn't sone bogey man that stopped people's free will. By the way I played both sports at a decent local level , been members and still am member of both organisations.

Are you joking me? The GAA and Clergy controlled the Parish! You'd be blackened if you played Soccer in a field in the Parish. If you could find a field.

Liam Brady was expelled from a Christian Brothers school for representing Ireland in an underage football game.

Jack Lynch was suspended from the GAA for going to see his brother play in a rugby match.

While Martin O'Neill was at St. Malachy's, he first came to public attention as a football player with local side Rosario and then eventually with Distillery. This breached the Gaelic Athletic Association prohibition on Gaelic footballers playing "foreign sports". When St. Malachy's reached the 1970 MacRory Cup final, the Antrim GAA County Board refused to allow the game to go ahead at Belfast's Casement Park. The colleges involved switched the venue to County Tyrone to enable him to play.

The term "broken glass spreaders" for the GAA was coined thanks to the intimidation on local people trying to start up a football club. AFAIK Tralee Dynamos are the only club to ever have gone public on this. There were many others. I know of one case where a friend of mine suffered huge intimidation trying to start a schoolboy club

Itchy

The ban was ended almost 50 years ago. While a divisive stupid rule it's hardly relevant now. Sure if you dig into the coast you'll see the clergy were against the GAA when they started too and everything else that threatened their power. 14 year old kids signing contracts in soccer occurs today and I'm curious as to why you didn't address this and instead  addressed at length a ban that was lifted half a century ago?

From the Bunker

Quote from: Itchy on September 09, 2018, 09:01:14 AM
The ban was ended almost 50 years ago. While a divisive stupid rule it's hardly relevant now. Sure if you dig into the coast you'll see the clergy were against the GAA when they started too and everything else that threatened their power. 14 year old kids signing contracts in soccer occurs today and I'm curious as to why you didn't address this and instead  addressed at length a ban that was lifted half a century ago?

It set a tone that has continued to be embraced by GAA people today. You even still have it.

Itchy

Quote from: From the Bunker on September 09, 2018, 09:51:42 AM

It set a tone that has continued to be embraced by GAA people today. You even still have it.

Despite being a soccer club committee member and underage coach I still have it do I. Away and stop talking shite. You a good man to avoid straight questions too.

From the Bunker

Quote from: Itchy on September 09, 2018, 11:03:50 AM

Despite being a soccer club committee member and underage coach I still have it do I. Away and stop talking shite. You a good man to avoid straight questions too.

Fair enough, thought you were looking in from the outside. Yes, FAI is a mess! But I hate people putting down the good work done by people like yourself giving young lads and ladies a chance to play the game.

Shamrock Shore

So......let's get this straight, in summary

It's the GAA's fault that the Irish soccer team is shite?

Itchy

Quote from: From the Bunker on September 09, 2018, 11:19:32 AM
Quote from: Itchy on September 09, 2018, 11:03:50 AM

Fair enough, thought you were looking in from the outside. Yes, FAI is a mess! But I hate people putting down the good work done by people like yourself giving young lads and ladies a chance to play the game.

Not putting down the people at grass roots,  as good and as dedicated as any. The leadership is a total mess at central level and also at many regional levels. Delaney throws a few crumbs and buys a few pints and no one will speak up and do the right thing.

Hardy

Quote from: Shamrock Shore on September 09, 2018, 01:05:58 PM

Yep - because of the ban that was rescinded 47 years ago, it seems. So the lads who, but for being inhibited by the GAA would now be lighting up the soccer pitches of Europe are in their sixties.

I blame the Land league myself.

Billys Boots

It's an interesting topic for discussion, though.  The argument I have heard, but not participated in, due to a lack of definitive knowledge, is that Ireland's poor showing in all international sports (though that is somewhat of a stretch, let's keep it to athletic pursuits), is due to an obsession with a national sport, at the expense of international sports.  There is somewhat of a logic to this, we can't be good at everything/anything, if (some of) our best sports people are not playing international sports.  People point to the achievements of say, Denmark and New Zealand, internationally, as comparators.  It came up again in the performance of Croatia at the recent World Cup.  From my own personal perspective, I find it difficult to understand why some gaelic football players don't try to earn a living playing association football, and represent their country.  I mean, for an international standard athlete, there can't be much satisfaction at only being able to test yourself against the best in the parish/county/country, can there? 

I get all the stuff about representing your parish/club/community.  Let's not do that again. 
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

seafoid

Quote from: Billys Boots on September 09, 2018, 02:42:59 PM

It's an interesting topic for discussion, though.  The argument I have heard, but not participated in, due to a lack of definitive knowledge, is that Ireland's poor showing in all international sports (though that is somewhat of a stretch, let's keep it to athletic pursuits), is due to an obsession with a national sport, at the expense of international sports.  There is somewhat of a logic to this, we can't be good at everything/anything, if (some of) our best sports people are not playing international sports.  People point to the achievements of say, Denmark and New Zealand, internationally, as comparators.  It came up again in the performance of Croatia at the recent World Cup.  From my own personal perspective, I find it difficult to understand why some gaelic football players don't try to earn a living playing association football, and represent their country.  I mean, for an international standard athlete, there can't be much satisfaction at only being able to test yourself against the best in the parish/county/country, can there? 

I get all the stuff about representing your parish/club/community.  Let's not do that again.
Croatia is a bit of an outlier.

I think the FAI is crap. 
They never built their own stadium. They still depend on the GAA every so often. They missed the boat on youth development. The League of Oireland is a bit of a mess.

And then Irish sports training is a long way from world class bar maybe Skib rowing club and certain boxing clubs
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Billys Boots

QuoteCroatia is a bit of an outlier.

So is Ireland.   

QuoteI think the FAI is crap.

They are good at some things, they are bad at a lot of things.  Lots of room for improvement, for sure.

QuoteThey never built their own stadium.

Don't really know what that means, or what it signifies - they share a stadium with rugby; that has to be a sustainable development.  It appears to be in constant use, for something or other.  It doesn't get into significant conflict with its neighbours. 

QuoteThey still depend on the GAA every so often.

Don't know what that means either, or what it's referring to.

QuoteThey missed the boat on youth development.

There's a perfectly good player development plan (PDP) in operation since 2016, and while it may take some time to mature, there is no reason to think it won't work to some degree. 

QuoteThe League of Oireland is a bit of a mess.

It's not great, but it deserves better support.  It can't and shouldn't be seen as a potential 'competitor' for the giant leagues in other large countries, but its best teams should be effective opponents for leagues in similar sized countries, and they are.  making it an outstanding outlier, in your own words, would need artificial supports from its national association or the government, but neither is likely to happen.  My own view is that the PDP, which has the 'elite' youth attached to LoI clubs is interesting, and provides a good pathway at home for the development of younger players, has a good chance of working in  the next 10 years. 

QuoteAnd then Irish sports training is a long way from world class bar maybe Skib rowing club and certain boxing clubs

There are good coaches in several sports in Ireland, most of them are working voluntarily, and that will never work.  I think the recent provision of degree courses in sports sciences and sports methodologies have got to prove beneficial in the coming years for our athletes, in all sports. 
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

seafoid

Quote from: Billys Boots on September 09, 2018, 03:27:33 PM
QuoteCroatia is a bit of an outlier.

So is Ireland.   

QuoteI think the FAI is crap.

They are good at some things, they are bad at a lot of things.  Lots of room for improvement, for sure.

QuoteThey never built their own stadium.

Don't really know what that means, or what it signifies - they share a stadium with rugby; that has to be a sustainable development.  It appears to be in constant use, for something or other.  It doesn't get into significant conflict with its neighbours. 

QuoteThey still depend on the GAA every so often.

Don't know what that means either, or what it's referring to.

QuoteThey missed the boat on youth development.

There's a perfectly good player development plan (PDP) in operation since 2016, and while it may take some time to mature, there is no reason to think it won't work to some degree. 

QuoteThe League of Oireland is a bit of a mess.

It's not great, but it deserves better support.  It can't and shouldn't be seen as a potential 'competitor' for the giant leagues in other large countries, but its best teams should be effective opponents for leagues in similar sized countries, and they are.  making it an outstanding outlier, in your own words, would need artificial supports from its national association or the government, but neither is likely to happen.  My own view is that the PDP, which has the 'elite' youth attached to LoI clubs is interesting, and provides a good pathway at home for the development of younger players, has a good chance of working in  the next 10 years. 

QuoteAnd then Irish sports training is a long way from world class bar maybe Skib rowing club and certain boxing clubs

There are good coaches in several sports in Ireland, most of them are working voluntarily, and that will never work.  I think the recent provision of degree courses in sports sciences and sports methodologies have got to prove beneficial in the coming years for our athletes, in all sports.
Sports coaching is one area where there is room for improvement I think. My impression is that it isn't much of a strength in England either. Language skills can open up possibilities.

The FAI has the problem of the EPL next door which determines game time available to players. The global reach of the competition reduces the number of Irish players getting to play for the top clubs. It is a very different world to 30 years ago. It would be good if the PDP was a success. It won't help now but could help later on.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU