Boxing Thread

Started by bennydorano, November 04, 2007, 09:00:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JimStynes

Quote from: Christmas Lights on July 23, 2012, 09:24:01 AM
Quote from: JimStynes on July 22, 2012, 01:30:32 PM
I like the look of Broner so far. Love the trash talk as well, great entertainment. As Floyd says every fight needs a pantomine villain and Broner looks happy enough to play that role. Cant wait to he moves up to 140

He more or less has already, came in way over the weight for the fight at the weekend  ::)

Cant like Broner even though he is a good fighter, trying to duplicate PBF in every way......get your own style and personality you p***k  >:(

Also, there isnt enough facepalms in this world for the hairbursh "joke" in the post fight interview.

he's doing well at selling his fights, boxing would be boring if we didn't have people like him. His only problem is he is trying to be like floyd but doesn't have half the talent floyd had at that age.

Atticus_Finch

Selling a pair of tickets for the Carl Frampton fight on the 22nd of September also featuring Paul McCloskey, Eamon O'Kane and Martin Lindsay on the undercard.

Unfortunately I am now going to be away from belfast that weekend and can't make the fight. 

Bought the tickets as soon as they went on sale, they are very well located.

Face value for the tickets is £65 each.

PM me if interested, thanks.
"The one thing that doesn't abide by majority rule is a person's conscience."

Atticus_Finch

Just got a text from one of my mates there to tell me that Kiko Martinez has pulled out of the Frampton fight. 

Great timing for someone that is trying to sell tickets !!!

According to boxrec it looks like Frampton is now going to be fighting Steve Molitor, who is a former two time world champ.

Martinez was reportedly very poor in his warm up fight that he fought at the end of July at the Emerald bar (used to be the Devenish) and perhaps his withdrawal shouldn't be surprising.  Molitor is still a very good fighter but I realise that without Martinez on it the bill doesn't have the same attraction. 

Would take less than face value for tickets - if interested PM me.

gallsman

Steve Molitor is definitely a step up from anyone Frampton has fought so far. Big test.

Atticus_Finch

Completely agree gallsman and they've done well to get someone of Molitor's class at such short notice.  However, after what kiko Martinez did to bernard Dunne, the frampton vs martinez fight did have an attraction for the irish fight fan but maybe it's a blessing for frampton.  From what I heard Martinez looked poor in belfast when he fought in Belfast at the end of July.  If Frampton beats Molitor it will be a well earned victory. 

I'm gutted not to be making it but unfortunately not about Belfast that weekend.

Milltown Row2

Checked out his profile, 35 fights 2 loses and 12 KO's. By all accounts a very good fighter and will be tough for Carl. Should be a great night
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Christmas Lights

It just looks like Martinez doesnt want any of Frampton if turth be told.  Its a joke that someone can just pull out of a fight.

Atticus_Finch

Paul McCloskey's opponent for the 22nd of September will be Manuel Perez.  He's ranked number 9 by the WBA and I believe the bout will be for the WBA intercontinental title.

nrico2006

I see Hatton is making a comeback, suppose he will be safe enough as he is fighting the number one powder puncher Malignaggi.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Declan

Hard to blame him but the pros are a completely different game.

Nevin on verge of joining professionals
By Bernard O'Neill
Tuesday, September 11, 2012
Olympic silver medallist John Joe Nevin could be set to turn professional.
Nevin has resumed talks with Sauerland Promotions in Germany, who offered him a four-year pro deal before the London Olympics.

The 23-year-old bantamweight, who has also attracted interest from Barry McGuigan's stable, will travel to Germany to discuss the offer. However, the Irish elite champion, who boxes out of the Cavan BC, also said that he would love to go to the 2016 Olympics in Rio and win gold. But under current rules, pro boxers are barred from the Olympics.

Nevin declined to discuss any details of the previous contract offered or the signing-on fee. However, it is understood the signing-on fee has been doubled since his heroics in London last month.

Nevin said: "I'd love to be world champion at professional, it's one of my dreams. Also, now, I've got my Olympic medal. I've done what I wanted to as an amateur.

"They [Sauerland] had been in talks with me before the Olympics in February. The offer was good that time. They actually called me before the Late Late Show [on Friday night]. They're ringing me back on Wednesday and are having a contract put together. "They want to know would I consider it. I said I would. It is likely that I will probably go down that road if the offer [to remain amateur] is not right.

"They are going to give me a flight out for two days to show me the venue and to meet the lads."

Rois

I went to the Andre Ward fight last Sat in Oakland and I enjoyed it!! Pretty empty though - I imagined it would have been a sell out. The chants of "SOG" were a bit random...pretty holy man.

Atticus_Finch

Lads can someone give me a brief report on the mcCloskey fight ? In a bar off Stephens green and the waa anchor of a bar manager wouldn't switch from the golf (which no one was watching) to the boxing in case it incited a few nordies to engage in some fisticuffs. Hope Frampton does the business.

screenmachine

McCloskey won handy enough, looked like Perez couldn't work out the southpaw stance for 6-7 rounds. McCloskey just boxed all night and didn't get involved in too much trading. Still had the hands down a bit which would be a worry against a bigger hitter but all in all a comfortable win and a step in the right direction!
I'm gonna punch you in the ovary, that's what I'm gonna do. A straight shot. Right to the babymaker.

dillinger

Where does McCluskey go from here?

He was well beat by Khan, never mind the stoppage, he was never going to win that one.

J OGorman

Quote from: dillinger on September 22, 2012, 11:17:07 PM
Where does McCluskey go from here?

He was well beat by Khan, never mind the stoppage, he was never going to win that one.

He goes onto to prepare for his next fight. Why bring up the Khan debacle? There's a lot of water under the bridge since that farce. Dudey is a quare talent. In my opinion, to go beyond the European level, he needs a change in management. No disrespect to John and Co, but a fresh outlook for Dudey, who is still fighting in the last chance saloon is key

Frampton is some pup. He was on fire tonight