Rangers FC to go into administration

Started by Lecale2, February 13, 2012, 03:43:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

camanchero

LDA - why did you bring up the topic of the Irish flag then - the context it was used looked to imply that it was used to be sectarian.
you still have not pointed out what songs are about blowing people up that are sung by Celtic fans.
if you think scotland would be a friendly safe place if all the Celtic/rangers fans were shipped out - then you need to have a closer look at the place.
charlie mulgrew isnt great- point was that he could have been good if strachan hadnt been so unprofessional and thrown a hissy fit. that he has been called up and played for scotland shows he has some talent - but it could have been more- so think again when saying i know nothing about soccer !

rangers will be safe. they will lose a couple of players but thats about it.

haranguerer

Quote from: deiseach on March 14, 2012, 11:46:30 AM

Good post, Main Street, although the reference to 'primitive Scots' is a bit OTT. Do you think it's impossible to dislike Celtic independent of an ingrained hatred of the Irish? Surely there are plenty of people whose motivation is that Celtic are part of the Old Firm and they couldn't care less about Celtic roots . . . ?

Which is more primitive, to have a deep seated reason or apparently none at all? Your post seems contradictory in an attempt to appear reasoning

Main Street

Quote from: Main Street on March 14, 2012, 12:01:47 AM
The clear accountable fact of history in Scotland, is that Celtic fc has been there as a focal point for Irish and Irish/Scottish ethnic groups and has had a immeasurable positive effect in raising the dignity of the diaspora. It may not be a crime to be Irish in Scotland, neither is discrimination a significant social factor these days, however it surely is regarded as a lower form of humankind to be Irish, it's something to taunt, to mock. Go to Aberdeen, the natives taunt the Celts with 'you're in the wrong country'.
Football is just another place where that hatred/ mocking ignorance from Scots towards Irish ethnicity, manifests itself.

In the mainstream of Scottish media opinion, this is what passes for intelligent comment,
"The problem with a large section of the Celtic support is that they do not think of themselves as Scots. They will tell you that they are Irish or Scots-Irish, whatever that's supposed to be."
'this fixation with Ireland which so many Scots have, makes my blood boil.'

When Scotland played Ireland 7 or 8 years ago at Hamden pk, how the redkneck Scottish bumpkins were outraged by the sight/sound of thousands of native Scots supporting Ireland.

Quite simply it boils down to one main prejudice held by the more primitive Scots
against those who have  Irish ethnicity in Scotland  or a Scots/Irish identity.
When that Celtic fan accepted that UEFA award for the supporters, he said  something to the effect that 'all over Europe we are welcomed, yet at home everywhere we go its hostile,  every expression/ celebration of our culture, our identity, is seen as a threat, even a sectarian threat.'

Yeah, maybe those all those Celts should keep quiet about their Irishness. How dare they sing old rebel folk songs, sing the 'soldiers song', wave the tricolour ::) 
Even in Lisbon 1967, those Celtic hordes were waving the tricolour, a perceived blight on many a scottish tv screen  ;D
Good post, Main Street, although the reference to 'primitive Scots' is a bit OTT
Thank you,
that comment was supposed to be OTT, almost 'tic (tongue in cheek)  :)

QuoteDo you think it's impossible to dislike Celtic independent of an ingrained hatred of the Irish? Surely there are plenty of people whose motivation is that Celtic are part of the Old Firm and they couldn't care less about Celtic roots . . . ?

Sure, there is normal football rivalry which can have an amount of hatred. And surely there are people who don't care about Celtic roots at all.
However you wil have noted the 2 Scottish contributers here have both demonstrated an inability to discriminate between their hatred/dislike of celtic and the 'Irish thing' with their generalisations about the blight to Scottish society that is Celtic Fc
The ability to discriminate (the positive form) is an acquired maturity :)

Apart from normal rivalry hatred, there are two attitudes (imo) to consider which are also thrown into whole picture of the hatred towards Celtic fc.
The first attitude is  that both Glasgow clubs are  the 2 shítty sides of the same sectarian/bigoted coin'  therefore equating  the expressions of 'Celtic Irish bigotry' equally with that of the status quo bigotry which has roots stretching back to the 1850's towards Catholics and towards Irish ethnicity.

The second is that a focal point of the hatred against Celtic, is the Ireland thing. The Irish ethnicity as expressed in following Celtic fc, a Scot/ Irish  sporting club and as  football fans do, they bring the colour the songs and the flags etc and ethnicity still plays a big part. There is an utter failure shown here to discriminate between the appropriate, the colour the songs the Soldiers Song,  TFoA,  the Boys brigade and the tricolour flags
to that of the innapropriate tiny minority who have inserted a support for the Provos.

Instead all I hear, is  'A plague on your whole Celtic house' or if you just behaved yourself to my standards of cultural expression then I just might accept you.

deiseach

Quote from: haranguerer on March 15, 2012, 11:21:47 AM

Good post, Main Street, although the reference to 'primitive Scots' is a bit OTT. Do you think it's impossible to dislike Celtic independent of an ingrained hatred of the Irish? Surely there are plenty of people whose motivation is that Celtic are part of the Old Firm and they couldn't care less about Celtic roots . . . ?

Which is more primitive, to have a deep seated reason or apparently none at all? Your post seems contradictory in an attempt to appear reasoning

Yeah, I was a little vague there. What I meant was that surely it is possible to hate Celtic in the same way that Spanish soccer supporters who do not follow Real Madrid or Barcelona hate them, simply because they're the Big Two. Main Street seems to imply that if you don't like Celtic it must be because you're anti-Irish. I've no doubt plenty of people in Scotland can't stand anything with tinge of Mick to it, but I don't think it follows that everyone who dislikes Celtic is motivated by the spirit of John Knox.

Lamh Dhearg Alba

Quote from: camanchero on March 15, 2012, 10:21:12 AM
LDA - why did you bring up the topic of the Irish flag then - the context it was used looked to imply that it was used to be sectarian.
you still have not pointed out what songs are about blowing people up that are sung by Celtic fans.
if you think scotland would be a friendly safe place if all the Celtic/rangers fans were shipped out - then you need to have a closer look at the place.
charlie mulgrew isnt great- point was that he could have been good if strachan hadnt been so unprofessional and thrown a hissy fit. that he has been called up and played for scotland shows he has some talent - but it could have been more- so think again when saying i know nothing about soccer !

Why do you have two usernames? Anyway this is tiresome, there is no need for further explanation on the flag as its perfectly obvious in the initial post. Similarly there is no denying that some Celtic fans sing songs that glorify blowing people up.

As for Scotland being a safe and friendly place without the OF I made no such suggestion, rather that the OF have contributed hugely to bigotry still being an issue here.  It would help if you read posts more carefully before replying and asking people to justify comments they actually haven't made.

Mulgrew is the same limited player he always was, but credit to Lennon for making the most of his talents and using him in such a way that his weaknesses are not exposed. Good management. I think its a weak case if you believe that a Scotland cap means he is talented though given some of the dross Scotland cap. Strachan had better options in his time at Celtic.

Disagree on Rangers too, they will ultimately survive or re emerge but there will be more pain than just the loss of 2 players, which has indeed already happened.

Lecale2

Rangers Administrators now appling to the High Court in Edinbrugh to put Rangers into administration. Hearing set for 19th March. It appears they are not actually in administration at all because of a legal c**k up.

My God what on earth is going on???

screenmachine

I'm gonna punch you in the ovary, that's what I'm gonna do. A straight shot. Right to the babymaker.

camanchero

Quote from: Lamh Dhearg Alba on March 15, 2012, 12:11:14 PM
Quote from: camanchero on March 15, 2012, 10:21:12 AM

Why do you have two usernames? Anyway this is tiresome, there is no need for further explanation on the flag as its perfectly obvious in the initial post. Similarly there is no denying that some Celtic fans sing songs that glorify blowing people up.

As for Scotland being a safe and friendly place without the OF I made no such suggestion, rather that the OF have contributed hugely to bigotry still being an issue here.  It would help if you read posts more carefully before replying and asking people to justify comments they actually haven't made.

Mulgrew is the same limited player he always was, but credit to Lennon for making the most of his talents and using him in such a way that his weaknesses are not exposed. Good management. I think its a weak case if you believe that a Scotland cap means he is talented though given some of the dross Scotland cap. Strachan had better options in his time at Celtic.

Disagree on Rangers too, they will ultimately survive or re emerge but there will be more pain than just the loss of 2 players, which has indeed already happened.
thats fine about the flag - but the puzzling thing is why did you mention it in the first place (an attempt at inferring something that has backfired)
again please let me know which song you are referring to about blowing up people - I am intrigued as I dont think I know this one...
simple question. you keep banging on about it, so you must know what it is..

seafoid

Quote from: LondonCamanachd on March 09, 2012, 02:19:16 PM
Quote from: seafoid on March 09, 2012, 02:10:08 PM
Quote from: LondonCamanachd on March 09, 2012, 01:13:12 PM
Quote from: seafoid on March 09, 2012, 12:19:03 PM
why do so many Irishmen follow a Scottish one?

There's a strong link between Donegal and Scotland isn't there ?

More traditionally between Antrim and Scotland - hence Antrim being an isolted hurling county, where the tradition was to play with the longer, leaner hurl.

Quote from: seafoid on March 09, 2012, 12:19:03 PM
Then the Celtic tricolour stuff must have set off a feedback loop with the rest of the country.  And the 1967 european cup could have been in the mix at some stage.

Ahh, gloryhunting essentially.  Suppose that explains why Lochee Harp never got the big support from over the water...

didn't a lot of Donegal men go working in glasgow ? The  Antrim thing is a bit older I think.
Do you know this map ?  All placenames as Gaeilge agus Gaidhlig
http://www.colmcille.net/en/projects/project.php?ID=24

the angle is a bit different - the countries are fairly close if you look at it sideways

Placenames are an interesting one.

For example, the Western Isles, the main Gaidhlig speaking region, has mostly Germanic/Nordic placenames (every island ending in an -ey sound for example). 

Meanwhile, you'll find Gaidhlig place names in the North East, where the original language was more related to Welsh than Gaidhlig, and the modern dialect heavily influenced with Germanicsms picked up through trade with Scandinavia and the low countries - you'll still hear people prounounce what? as "fit?" or "white" as "fite", and the local word for girl, "quine" is almost exactly the same as the Norwegian.  Yet our shinty pitch was called Balgownie, I'd be very surprised of there wasn't a Ballygowan, Smithstown, somewhere in Ireland.

LondonCamanachd

I ended up ordering that map and it arrived yesterday. I never new that Kingussie meant Ceann Gaoitheach or windy mountain.  Kirkintilloch is the Gaidhlig equivalent of Ceathar Ceann Tulach .  The Scottish names are fascinating.  There seems to be an original  Gaidhlig name for at least 75%  of the towns on the map. The English names are just like colonial overlays.   

ziggysego

Quote from: Lamh Dhearg Alba on March 14, 2012, 11:56:36 PM
More importantly however we should be laughing at Rangers on this thread - like this halfwit who really brightened up my day ;D ;D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1pDk75Y1SZ4&feature=player_embedded

That really made my day! ;D
Testing Accessibility

deiseach

Quote from: seafoid on March 15, 2012, 04:18:43 PM
I ended up ordering that map and it arrived yesterday. I never new that Kingussie meant Ceann Gaoitheach or windy mountain.  Kirkintilloch is the Gaidhlig equivalent of Ceathar Ceann Tulach .  The Scottish names are fascinating.  There seems to be an original  Gaidhlig name for at least 75%  of the towns on the map. The English names are just like colonial overlays.

You'd think Auchterarder was German - if you didn't know better

muppet

Haven't really been following this but will whatever happens Rangers be seismic enough to mean that they won't finish in the top 2 next season?
MWWSI 2017

seafoid

Quote from: deiseach on March 15, 2012, 04:42:53 PM

The Swiss town of Thun was originally a Celtic Dun .
There are 4 or 5 other Swiss towns that originally had Dun in the name.
The Germans and the Swiss Germans  are only recent blow ins really. 

Never beat the deeler

But probably not dissimilar to Oughterard.

I used to go out wit a Scottish girl. She had little or no Gadhlig but I could tell her what a lot of the signs meant in train stations etc because of their similarity to Gaeilge.
Hasta la victoria siempre

muppet

Quote from: Never beat the deeler on March 15, 2012, 11:52:34 PM

But probably not dissimilar to Oughterard.

I used to go out wit a Scottish girl. She had little or no Gadhlig but I could tell her what a lot of the signs meant in train stations etc because of their similarity to Gaeilge.

Ok translate this one:
MWWSI 2017