Greatest skill in hurling

Started by The Claw, December 13, 2006, 04:31:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Bottom Brick

Running away from goal with a defender up your hole, dummying one way and turning the other way to fly the ball over the bar...

Greatest skill in sport in my opinion
33, 35, 47, 48, 52, 07!

milltown row

There are that many skills in hurling but the one that's the best is running full pelt with the ball on the stick towards goal, and striking of the stick and putting the ball over the bar without the ball in the hand. Also have to agree with some about first touch, this is the skill that gets you away and gives you time to look up and place a pass or score.

maxpower

personally i love high catching in a crowd.
What happens next????

imtommygunn

Running along soloing and knowing you can't take the ball in the hand again then having the presence of mind and the skill/speed to make space for yourself and bounce the ball of the ground to allow yourself to take the ball in the hand again.

The Flamin

the first touch is the most obvious skill and it seperates people at all sports. on a good day a decent clubman can do an amazing thing but it takes pure skill to never let your first touch go wrong.

blanketattack

One of the greatest skill in hurling which has been perfected in Kilkenny is getting away with running 9 steps with the ball.

johnneycool

The hardest skill to master with any degree of success or accuracy has to be the overhead pull.

Mastering the first touch at speed IMO is the most important to get right and obviously the quicker and tidier you can do it the less likely you are to be robbed of possession. I've seen manys a quick sprinter run flat out to the ball only to stop dead to lift or control the ball. Any advantage they had was lost, similarily with the ability to strike the ball on the run without breaking stride to turning to the side prior to striking.

the bucket

The trick is to losen the grip at the top of the stick and bend the knees. If you can do it without breaking stride it gives you at least 4 yards of space and usually a path to goal

Is it possible to bend your knees and run at the same time.

for a  corner forward anticipation is the key everything else is a bonus