Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

themac_23

Quote from: 1884 on September 21, 2020, 02:43:45 PM
What a championship we have had this year. SFC and IFC. Hurling championships were also as good as they've ever been. Perhaps the county board/GAA can learn from this. So many county championships have been a major success this year. Well done to all involved! Wasn't an easy year.

Leagues in Antrim?? Surely there is no point in the leagues and no appetite among players/clubs to continue with the few league games that have been scheduled. The rationale behind it for getting people games is lost in there being no promotion/relegation. This will result in teams not caring/nobody training etc. They won't even have any bite to them - less than preseason friendlies as there is nothing to play for.

To be fair I'd say most clubs could take or leave the leagues, I'd say some clubs will use it to maybe try out young lads who need a chance at senior but maybe was unfair to throw them on in championship etc and also to give lads game time who maybe bust a gut training there but very little to no game time but as I say if they were called off I doubt there would be too many complaints. Also justifies some managers brown envelopes... only jokin don't wanna open that can again lol  ;D

GiveItToTheShooters

Quote from: Bronco on September 21, 2020, 09:54:13 AM
I was there and had a perfect view of it, definitely a point.

Quote from: GiveItToTheShooters on September 20, 2020, 11:53:09 PM
Quote from: Bronco on September 20, 2020, 11:45:27 PM
That was 100 percent a point, he got that one right. I didn't think he had a great game but that call in fairness was spot on.

Quote from: GiveItToTheShooters on September 20, 2020, 06:51:40 PM
Quote from: Calm Down on September 20, 2020, 06:42:33 PM
Quote from: paddyjohn on September 20, 2020, 04:52:50 PM
So after all the tripe on here as last week, fair play to Toland. That's why he got the gig and Mick McCann is still the the best in the county.

I am the first to eat my hat in Colm O'Rourke style, fair play Totes did a fantastic job!

After an incident I witnessed yesterday, coupled with my attitude last week and Totes performance today I have a longer musing, however I will post tomorrow as I consider my words over a pint
Fantastic job, is this a joke? ;D he undermined his umpire and overruled a wide and gave a point which ultimately costed Creggan a championship. He also bottled a few certain creggan free kicks in the last minute or so of normal time up in the corner.
How do you know he got it right? Umpire gave it a wide, the commentators were quite adamant it was wide too.
Another Cargin match you just happen to be at, there seems to be a pattern here....
You would say it was over of course. However the umpire gave it a wide and the two commentators said it was wide too. Umpire undermined by the referee which ultimately costed Creggan the championship. No two ways about it.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: GiveItToTheShooters on September 21, 2020, 03:33:12 PM

That was 100 percent a point, he got that one right. I didn't think he had a great game but that call in fairness was spot on.

So after all the tripe on here as last week, fair play to Toland. That's why he got the gig and Mick McCann is still the the best in the county.

I am the first to eat my hat in Colm O'Rourke style, fair play Totes did a fantastic job!

After an incident I witnessed yesterday, coupled with my attitude last week and Totes performance today I have a longer musing, however I will post tomorrow as I consider my words over a pint
Fantastic job, is this a joke? ;D he undermined his umpire and overruled a wide and gave a point which ultimately costed Creggan a championship. He also bottled a few certain creggan free kicks in the last minute or so of normal time up in the corner.
How do you know he got it right? Umpire gave it a wide, the commentators were quite adamant it was wide too.
Another Cargin match you just happen to be at, there seems to be a pattern here....
You would say it was over of course. However the umpire gave it a wide and the two commentators said it was wide too. Umpire undermined by the referee which ultimately costed Creggan the championship. No two ways about it.

If its high and above the posts (not over the posts, as thats a wide) the ref probably has a better view on it than the umpires, as he's behind it. Its ok to over-rule the umpires if its the correct call. That's what we want?

From my position on the sofa, I couldn't tell
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Bronco

I've also watched plenty of other games involving my own club. You just seem to have taken umbrage where my comments conflict with your warped views.

The umpires dithered and clearly weren't sure, but it definitely went over. The ref knew it and made the right call. You could easily make a more compelling case that the ref prevented Cargin winning it more easily by turning a blind eye to blatant fouls on Kane and McCann near the end.

I take no pleasure in the result other than the fact the better side won which is always good to see.

I have no problem criticising Cargin where it's warranted, and I fundamentally disagree with outside managers,without whom they might not have won any of the three in a row.

GiveItToTheShooters

Quote from: Bronco on September 21, 2020, 04:21:52 PM
I've also watched plenty of other games involving my own club. You just seem to have taken umbrage where my comments conflict with your warped views.

The umpires dithered and clearly weren't sure, but it definitely went over. The ref knew it and made the right call. You could easily make a more compelling case that the ref prevented Cargin winning it more easily by turning a blind eye to blatant fouls on Kane and McCann near the end.

I take no pleasure in the result other than the fact the better side won which is always good to see.

I have no problem criticising Cargin where it's warranted, and I fundamentally disagree with outside managers,without whom they might not have won any of the three in a row.

Do you stop actual club members going to support their own teams by taking a ticket at those matches as well?
Taken umbrage with what? The umpire waved it wide, commentators said it was wide, and the referee went against him. Those are the facts. What's the point in having umpires then?
I think the few cert creggan fouls up in the corner in the last minute that the ref bottled would go against that claim. The 14 yard cargin free before that for a 'push' was dubious to say the least also.

Bronco

I assure you I did not deprive anyone of a ticket.happy to allay that particular concern of yours(so thoughtful of you!).

Employing your own skewed logic,if a referee can't overrule an umpire,what's the point of having referees? The ref was better positioned and made the right call. End of story. Take your beating like a man and move on.

[/quote]
Do you stop actual club members going to support their own teams by taking a ticket at those matches as well?
Taken umbrage with what? The umpire waved it wide, commentators said it was wide, and the referee went against him. Those are the facts. What's the point in having umpires then?
I think the few cert creggan fouls up in the corner in the last minute that the ref bottled would go against that claim. The 14 yard cargin free before that for a 'push' was dubious to say the least also.
[/quote]

GiveItToTheShooters

Quote from: Bronco on September 21, 2020, 05:19:33 PM
I assure you I did not deprive anyone of a ticket.happy to allay that particular concern of yours(so thoughtful of you!).

Employing your own skewed logic,if a referee can't overrule an umpire,what's the point of having referees? The ref was better positioned and made the right call. End of story. Take your beating like a man and move on.

[/quote]
[/quote]
Glad you finally admitted you're a cargin man so, as if it wasn't blatantly obvious before.
He wasn't though, that's the whole point of having two umpires under the posts.
Take my beating? ;D Im not a creggan man and am not arsed who won. But i did say the referee would be a talking point after the game and i was proved right.

Bronco

Aye clearly not arsed. Not arsed to such an extent you're bickering and spouting nonsense all day over it lol.

I'm not a Cargin man, and it seems beyond your imagination to envisage other explanations for my presence,which doesn't surprise me. Good luck trying to make something else up to argue with though.

Congratulations to the men in green on a well-deserved victory.

Quote from: GiveItToTheShooters on September 21, 2020, 05:25:39 PM
Quote from: Bronco on September 21, 2020, 05:19:33 PM

[/quote]
Glad you finally admitted you're a cargin man so, as if it wasn't blatantly obvious before.
He wasn't though, that's the whole point of having two umpires under the posts.
Take my beating? ;D Im not a creggan man and am not arsed who won. But i did say the referee would be a talking point after the game and i was proved right.
[/quote]

paddyjohn

Cargin won, Toland is the best football ref in the county and Mick McCann is the best Footballer in the county.

Fair play PG1 for the running of it and thanks to our volunteers who helped through this testing season. Down with the paid coaches and managers who are ruining our games.

Up the South West lads, Football in the city is dead 🤭🤣🤣

Bronco

Have to say the pitch at Portglenone was absolutely perfect. For me it's possibly the best ground in the county. Plenty of parking, great pitch,only thing missing is a stand.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Bronco on September 21, 2020, 07:00:11 PM
Have to say the pitch at Portglenone was absolutely perfect. For me it's possibly the best ground in the county. Plenty of parking, great pitch,only thing missing is a stand.

And a team  :D

Only joking, lovely lads which are a joy to ref in fairness
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

bannside

LOL MR. Fair play to every clubman who pulls on a referees jersey to honour their club. Its the hardest job of all. And you do both codes, so 100% hats off to you.

Milltown Row2

Talking of stands I was in Corrigan tonight looking after our Southy team, the stand is looking great and when it gets completely finished with terracing on the other side will it hold 5 thousand?

NAG1

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on September 21, 2020, 10:08:55 PM
Talking of stands I was in Corrigan tonight looking after our Southy team, the stand is looking great and when it gets completely finished with terracing on the other side will it hold 5 thousand?

Is this the prep for us for when we are told that we can't get access too the new Casement?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: NAG1 on September 22, 2020, 08:10:06 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on September 21, 2020, 10:08:55 PM

Is this the prep for us for when we are told that we can't get access too the new Casement?

I don't really think Casement will be an option the way things are going at the minute, this is a immediate fix and ready for the new season, christ knows when Casement will be built so, personally I'd rather we had something than what we currently have.