Laois 2017 - NHL and Leinster SHC

Started by G@@, October 14, 2016, 04:15:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blueandwhite1

Jaysus, I can't believe some of the anti Eamonn Kelly rants. They are totally unjustified. I think he is doing a great job.

In a post Cheddar era, with a new team of mostly U21s or close to it, we won all our round robin matches for the first time ever and managed to survive in 1B of the league. He has bonded a really promising young team together nicely and has them playing with pure passion and flair. Our heads never dropped when it was obvious we were second best.

We were punching well above our weight yesterday and given the mismatch in experience I thought there were lots of positives. In fairness there were mistakes made with not reacting to the sweeper, which we eventually did and Kelly held his hand up, and bringing in Jack Kelly to start corner forward in his first match was a risk. He took a chance to change things up by bringing on an extra forward for Cleere which didn't work but at least it showed decisiveness and ambition.

However, he has built a team that is starting to look stable with a load of injuries to contend with.

We really struggled for physicality and to win clean ball. This will need to come with time if we are to step up. Wexford's precision and muscle really stood out. They could hold their ground and win clean ball out of the sky. We also hit too many wides.

We need to get behind this setup and think about the totality of what is happening before throwing cowardly cheap shots at management.

burdizzo

I take it you realise 'Wildcat' is really a bitter Biffo?
I agree - I think Kelly has done fine. He has a shallow and very young panel, but they've done as well as could be expected. I hope they stay together, manager included. In a way it's a pity they didn't draw Offaly, but better get them when we're ready to stay up.

Clubber Lang

It's ridiculous to criticise management for what I think is commendable job so far. We have lost 7/8 key players the last couple of years that would be of huge help to the current panel if they were still available-sadly they are not. Laois lack primary ball winners from puck-outs etc. Against good teams you will get destroyed if you are conceding that amount of possession-these are young players and with a couple more years at this level, hopefully they will be much better physically at challenging for the 50/50 ball. The injuries we were carrying as well did not help on the day- not having Cahir in defense was a definite loss.

Let's hope Laois can get a favourable draw in the back door. This team deserves another chance at claiming a scalp of note- it would do wonders for their progression and development. I was encouraged by how they continued to try and hurl right up to the very end. Hopefully the u21s can give leinster a decent crack as well- they have built up plenty of experience so far this year.     

Target Man

While I think Eamon Kelly has done a reasonably good job so far, and it's true we lack players of requires standard, that doesn't mean it's unfair to question aspects of team selection or tactics. Not much point in discussing match otherwise

Why did we keep launching high balls on a physically dominated half forward line? Could we have brought Foyle a bit for puckouts?

With regard to reacting to sweeper, why didn't we use our own spare man more? Surely working the ball through the lines and playing short accurate ball to forwards, or waiting until we were far enough up the pitch to bypass sweeper and hit Foyle on edge of square would have been better options?

Team worked hard throughout, some good performances from Collier, Downey and in particular Cleere.

The use of Cha at 6 baffles me. We are losing an excellent forward to make a mediocre centre back. He would also bring some badly needed physicality to our half forward line

redsetanta

We're robbong Peter to pay Paul. We don't have enough players. Cheddar tried Foyle at centre back for the same reason. Would the likes of John Lennon have the makings of a centre back? We badly need to find one of intercounty standard for the future. This years minor centre back, Delaney, could progress but can't be relying on a 17 or 18 year old.

On another note what was the opinion on Jack Kelly starting on Sunday? He looked out of his dept and with lads who had decent league and round robin experience sitting on the bench should he have started?
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

Helix

Quote from: redsetanta on May 30, 2017, 12:13:34 PM
We're robbong Peter to pay Paul. We don't have enough players. Cheddar tried Foyle at centre back for the same reason. Would the likes of John Lennon have the makings of a centre back? We badly need to find one of intercounty standard for the future. This years minor centre back, Delaney, could progress but can't be relying on a 17 or 18 year old.

On another note what was the opinion on Jack Delaney starting on Sunday? He looked out of his dept and with lads who had decent league and round robin experience sitting on the bench should he have started?

I'd say you mean Jack Kelly instead of Jack Delaney from Shanahoe. What is the story with Joe Campion this year that he didn't commit. Good strong lad that is badly wanted for our half forward line. Also see u21s out Wednesday hopefully get a good campaign. Any word on a team?
It's hardly possible to build anything if frustration, bitterness and a mood of helplessness prevail

burdizzo

Presumably he (Kelly) was going well in training, and I suppose it was a 'curve-ball' to surprise Wexford. However, it didn't really work. I was amazed by it, I must say!

Don Draper

Quote from: Target Man on May 30, 2017, 11:53:54 AM
While I think Eamon Kelly has done a reasonably good job so far, and it's true we lack players of requires standard, that doesn't mean it's unfair to question aspects of team selection or tactics. Not much point in discussing match otherwise

Why did we keep launching high balls on a physically dominated half forward line? Could we have brought Foyle a bit for puckouts?

With regard to reacting to sweeper, why didn't we use our own spare man more? Surely working the ball through the lines and playing short accurate ball to forwards, or waiting until we were far enough up the pitch to bypass sweeper and hit Foyle on edge of square would have been better options?

Team worked hard throughout, some good performances from Collier, Downey and in particular Cleere.

The use of Cha at 6 baffles me. We are losing an excellent forward to make a mediocre centre back. He would also bring some badly needed physicality to our half forward line
Foyle was definitely brought out for a period in the first half. Matt Hanlon is an outstanding centre back, and a monster in the air. He swallowed everything that came his way. We needed a plan b, one that wasn't giving it short to Dwane to in turn lamp it to Hanlon.

redsetanta

U21's for game against Westmeath tomorrow night. It's as experienced an U21 team as we've put out in a long time. Alot of senior experience there. Hopefully the Wexford defeat will drive them on. Westmeath not to be taken lightly. Beat the cats this time last year while we were being beaten by Carlow.

1. Paul Simms (Ballinakill)
2. Donnacha Hartnett (Mountmellick)
3. Leigh Bergin (Shanahoe)
4. Lee Cleere (Clough-Ballacolla)
5. Eric Killeen (Rathdowney-Errill)
6. Liam O'Connell (Rathdowney-Errill)
7. Ryan Mullaney (Castletown)
8. Jack Kelly (Rathdowney-Errill)
9. Aidan Corby (Clough-Ballacolla)
10. Sean Downey (Ballinakill)
11. John Lennon (Rosenallis)
12. Brian Corby (Clough-Ballacolla)
13. Mark Kavanagh (Rathdowney-Errill)
14. Eanna Lyons (Ballyfin)
15. Aaron Dunphy (Borris-in-Ossory-Kilcotton)
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

blueandwhite1

Quote from: redsetanta on May 30, 2017, 04:21:58 PM
U21's for game against Westmeath tomorrow night. It's as experienced an U21 team as we've put out in a long time. Alot of senior experience there. Hopefully the Wexford defeat will drive them on. Westmeath not to be taken lightly. Beat the cats this time last year while we were being beaten by Carlow.

1. Paul Simms (Ballinakill)
2. Donnacha Hartnett (Mountmellick)
3. Leigh Bergin (Shanahoe)
4. Lee Cleere (Clough-Ballacolla)
5. Eric Killeen (Rathdowney-Errill)
6. Liam O'Connell (Rathdowney-Errill)
7. Ryan Mullaney (Castletown)
8. Jack Kelly (Rathdowney-Errill)
9. Aidan Corby (Clough-Ballacolla)
10. Sean Downey (Ballinakill)
11. John Lennon (Rosenallis)
12. Brian Corby (Clough-Ballacolla)
13. Mark Kavanagh (Rathdowney-Errill)
14. Eanna Lyons (Ballyfin)
15. Aaron Dunphy (Borris-in-Ossory-Kilcotton)

I will definitely be depressed if this team doesn't win. Westmeath will have plenty of hurlers but that is the strongest Laois U21 team I have ever seen on paper. A few of them are not that long back from injury which could be a worry but I really hope they perform.

Clubber Lang

This team would be on a par with the 2007 and 2012 teams in my opinion. There is a good spine to the team with plenty of competitive games at senior level under their belt. I don't see us fearing any other team in Leinster. In 2014 and 2015 we were competitive in Leinster at minor level with a Leinster final appearance in 2014 and semi-final appearance the year after. However, Westmeath should not be underestimated as I remember they beat a strong Wexford team in Innovate Park in the minor championship few years ago and had an impressive victory over Kilkenny in last year's U21 Championship while also pushing Dublin close that year as well which will boost their confidence levels going into this year's championship. It could be a close encounter and I would be happy with any sort of victory on the night. There is no outstanding team in Leinster this year so if lady luck was on Laois' side you never know how the championship will play out.   

Keyser Söze

Quote from: blueandwhite1 on May 29, 2017, 08:08:02 PM
Jaysus, I can't believe some of the anti Eamonn Kelly rants. They are totally unjustified. I think he is doing a great job.

We need to get behind this setup and think about the totality of what is happening before throwing cowardly cheap shots at management.

I think this is very unfair.
Bar one poster (who does not hide the fact that they are from Offaly) nobody has gone on an "anti Eamonn Kelly rant".
People have questioned various aspects of our setup and selection. Surely he is not above this?
The man is well compensated for his efforts and surely he can be questioned?

He is not doing a bad job. He is not doing a great job. He has made some very funny selection calls that haven't worked. He has a small squad to work with. Laois set up very naively against Wexford. Laois played with great spirit against Wexford.
That is balanced, and fair, and is the gist of what posters have been saying.
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled.......

SCFC

No one is on an anti Eamonn Kelly rant bar that idiot from Gracefiekd who pretends he's from Camross for some reason.

Tobias

This will be a very tough game for Laois. Westmeath have approx 10 of the starting team that beat Kilkenny last year, like us they would be hugely disappointed to lose this game. We need a win badly though to give these guys the confidence that Laois hurling is worth fighting for and that there is a future. I actually don't think the team is as strong as some ppl here are making out. Although they are all senior panelists, at least one player was not starting on his club senior team last year. Also, looking at the half forward line and forwards in general I hope scoring wont be an issue. While they are all good lads and will work their socks off, If Mark Kavanagh and Aaron Dunphy were to be well marked or have an off day I think we could struggle on the scoreboard. The backline does look strong and the fact that these lads have all been exposed to a very high level of training should stand to us and hopefully will be enough to get us over the line.

redsetanta

Jaysus....is that 3 or 4 years in a row beaten at first go.