Laois 2017 - NHL and Leinster SHC

Started by G@@, October 14, 2016, 04:15:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

clonadmad

Yep we'd only get one hiding per league campaign then as opposed to 3 at the minute.

This 8 team proposal may not come to pass when 1a is so competitive,5 of the 6 teams this year could be relegated before the last round of games.

redsetanta

Ok we're taking some huge beatings which is not ideal however we are playing teams of a higher standard as well as playing teams similar to our level. We have the best of both worlds. Considering where we are at the moment there is merit for having us in a group that would probably contain the Div 2a teams however if we are not good enough that is where we will end up. At least at the moment we have something to fight for which is to stay in Div 1b.
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

blueandwhite1

Quote from: redsetanta on March 14, 2017, 04:38:26 PM
Ok we're taking some huge beatings which is not ideal however we are playing teams of a higher standard as well as playing teams similar to our level. We have the best of both worlds. Considering where we are at the moment there is merit for having us in a group that would probably contain the Div 2a teams however if we are not good enough that is where we will end up. At least at the moment we have something to fight for which is to stay in Div 1b.

I am not at all convinced we would have it all our own way in Div 2 or a second tier Div 1 including Kerry, Carlow, Meath, Westmeath, Antrim etc. They are closer to our standard than we are to Div 1a teams. The problem is that if there isn't 1-2 other teams such as maybe Offaly / Wexford, then the gap will just widen to the top tier.

redsetanta

The problem is, blueandwhite, that if it contains Offaly and one other, the likelyhood even with 2 up and 2 down is that it will be the same teams every year. It won't be Laois or Carlow going up. Untill serious effort is put into these counties nothing is going to change any time soon!
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

Keyser Söze

Quote from: SpeculativeEffort on March 14, 2017, 03:42:17 PM
Can we not play Paddy Purcell in a Tadgh De Burca type role? He is excellent on the ball, great in the air and can carry the ball through tackles. Surely that would reduce the number of goal chances. Perhaps when Whelan is back we can try this. It worked v Westmeath in relegation game last year very well.

We need this.
But many around the county (some in fairly lofty positions) wanted Cheddar gone because he wanted to continue with this.

At the very least we need to be pragmatic in our match ups and our defensive shape. It looks like we are just prepared to follow our men wherever they go. Crazy for this level.

The current set up should be perfect for us.
There will always be at least two teams at our level and 2 more we should be able to be reasonably competitive with, plus a very strong side.
We will not make progress in Div 2A or in an 8 team Division 2.
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled.......

Home Boys Home

As alluded to earlier, we have shipped heavy beatings with one and even two sweepers in the past.

Our wing forwards and midfielders need to drop deeper, and work-rate/tackling from wing forwards and midfield need to be upped massively. This would help stop our half backs being dragged those crucial 20/30 metres up he field. Also, on the Limerick puck outs our half backs were chasing Limerick lads (often on dummy runs) across and around the field. If the midfield positioning was a bit better and half forwards were back a bit to congest the space, the half back line could hold their positions on opposition puck outs.

We seem to be way too nice too, hardly got a shoulder on to a Limerick runner all game. Not enough defenders that could be described as uncompromising.   Leigh Bergin is a nice hurler but not strong enough in the air or aggressive enough in the tackle for an inter count 3 or 6, at least not yet. Paddy Purcell for me is not a natural defender either, Dwayne Palmer often plays as forward with his club, a lovely hurler and like Paddy good in the sweeper role. Sean Downey another light young lad starting out. It would be easier for the likes of Sean Downey and Leigh Bergin to learn the ropes if players like Tom Delaney, Darren Maher, Gearoid Burke were around, but we have who we have I suppose. Hopefully Mathew will be back soon.

I did find a bit strange that manager and selectors were not down on the sideline again, especially when we were in such trouble. I understand the logic that it gives a better view, but at the same time, nothing seemed to be getting down to address way space was opening up in front of our full back line.

On a positive note, most of forwards did pretty well, Willie Dunphy had one of his best matches for Laois and Aaron Dunphy showed some sweet striking.

redsetanta

Tom Delaney was there with subs so might be involved this year.

Keyser Söze

Quote from: Home Boys Home on March 14, 2017, 07:26:24 PM
As alluded to earlier, we have shipped heavy beatings with one and even two sweepers in the past.

Our wing forwards and midfielders need to drop deeper, and work-rate/tackling from wing forwards and midfield need to be upped massively. This would help stop our half backs being dragged those crucial 20/30 metres up he field. Also, on the Limerick puck outs our half backs were chasing Limerick lads (often on dummy runs) across and around the field. If the midfield positioning was a bit better and half forwards were back a bit to congest the space, the half back line could hold their positions on opposition puck outs.

We seem to be way too nice too, hardly got a shoulder on to a Limerick runner all game. Not enough defenders that could be described as uncompromising.   Leigh Bergin is a nice hurler but not strong enough in the air or aggressive enough in the tackle for an inter count 3 or 6, at least not yet. Paddy Purcell for me is not a natural defender either, Dwayne Palmer often plays as forward with his club, a lovely hurler and like Paddy good in the sweeper role. Sean Downey another light young lad starting out. It would be easier for the likes of Sean Downey and Leigh Bergin to learn the ropes if players like Tom Delaney, Darren Maher, Gearoid Burke were around, but we have who we have I suppose. Hopefully Mathew will be back soon.

I did find a bit strange that manager and selectors were not down on the sideline again, especially when we were in such trouble. I understand the logic that it gives a better view, but at the same time, nothing seemed to be getting down to address way space was opening up in front of our full back line.

On a positive note, most of forwards did pretty well, Willie Dunphy had one of his best matches for Laois and Aaron Dunphy showed some sweet striking.

I agree with alot of what you are saying, BUT!

The 13/14/15 team was making progress towards being able to play without a sweeper, but that team is gone. Unfortunately.7

This team needs someone like Purcell or Palmer available to intercept and interrupt dangerous situations, as well as being available to take passes and clear the ball. I know it's not perfect and there will be beatings, but this is a particularly young and limited team and I think they need it.
Pulling out our half forward line alone will not be enough just yet, in my opinion.
I could see us still struggling to work ball out from defence, and instead clearing ball after ball to an unmarked opposition half back line!
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled.......

Helix

Quote from: redsetanta on March 14, 2017, 08:41:39 PM
Tom Delaney was there with subs so might be involved this year.

A serious addition to have back after the serious knee injury he had. Any word on the injury list getting better for next game. Playing for pride and to build a bit of a positive platform for the round robin series.
It's hardly possible to build anything if frustration, bitterness and a mood of helplessness prevail

redsetanta

Picky was there aswell. Whats the problem with him?

Don Draper

Quote from: redsetanta on March 14, 2017, 11:32:50 PM
Picky was there aswell. Whats the problem with him?
Broken hand/finger.

redsetanta

I wouldn't be risking lads this weekend if they are not 100% fit. Can't see Wexford taking their foot off the pedal with Davy at the helm so we need everyone fit for what will be a relegation game against Kerry or Offaly.

CluainABU

Does the 1B relegated team still play off against the 2A winner? I thought that was changed, or maybe not in yet.

Offaly should win, which suits us obviously if we beat Wex and if we don't, then likelihood is we'll be propping up the table - whether on head-2-head or points (?) Known Davy's form he will continue to keep current crop of players on high intensity and therefore not rest many if any, despite QF. That means a major, major challenge on Sunday for Laois

Heshs Umpire

Quote from: CluainABU on March 24, 2017, 01:43:12 PM
Does the 1B relegated team still play off against the 2A winner? I thought that was changed, or maybe not in yet.
No, not this year.
Well I could keep it above
But then it wouldn't be sky anymore

redsetanta

Allianz HL 1B

Wexford    4    4    0    0    25    8
Galway    4    3    0    1    63    6
Limerick    4    3    0    1    52    6
Kerry    4    1    0    3    -46    2
Laois    4    1    0    3    -53    2
Offaly    4    0    0    4    -41    0

If we're being honest here, the likelihood is that we lose to Wexford meaning it's either Offaly or Kerry in the play off. A point is enough to keep Kerry clear but the only way Offaly can avoid the play off is by beating Kerry and if they do that it will be Laois v Kerry as Offaly have the best scoring difference. Would a Laois v Kerry decider be in Portlaoise seeing as the league game was in Kerry.