Laois 2017 - NHL and Leinster SHC

Started by G@@, October 14, 2016, 04:15:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milltown Row2

Limerick have a serious history of destroying smaller teams (they have always racked up big scores against us even when we played well against other top teams that year) I wouldn't worry about tonight's result, the main thing to work on is development and gaining experience and coming away from these results and work on the areas that let you down!

Laois have done an amazing job so far, the hardest part is maintaining it, hopefully Kerry do likewise
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

TP Ashe

Miles off the pace. Physically on a different planet to a decent Limerick side. Hard to be critical because the lads are trying but we just don't have the personnel. We can talk about the few absentees but that shouldn't even begin to soften the harsh reality here. As a Liam McCarthy team; we're as poor as any team I've ever seen, especially at the back. You could  make a case for Cha, Purcell and Rowland, maybe Roddy, as being Liam McCarthy level but after that, i dont think we have any players who'd make that Limerick panel, let alone team.
We'll probably get through the Round Robin but that's our level. It's hard to see us escape a serious hammering in the championship before the end of the summer.

These 6 team divisions are doing us no favours and if there's any prospect of a return to an 8-team League then we need to come out strongly in support of it.

Bud Wiser

For jaysus sake lads it's March, the second half performance was as gutsy and as committed as you could expect from these lads.  Cha and a few more are as good as anyone else.  They are building and bonding (although they would want to bond a bit better when it comes to passing a ball to a spare man on the 14 yard line with nobody marking him instead of going for the solo effort)   I disagree with the "they are not good enough" repetition and it is unfair on the lads.  They can become good enough over the next few months. Maybe a bit more of an authoritative captain, a bit of encouragement on the field.  There is no point in crying about it and looking for a lower division, get back on the horse and go out against Galway and put up a fight, and pass the ball to each other, avoid red cards and you will do yourselves proud.
" Laois ? You can't drink pints of Guinness and talk sh*te in a pub, and play football the next day"

Keyser Söze

Quote from: ClashAsh on March 11, 2017, 11:21:46 PM
Quote from: Keyser Söze on March 11, 2017, 11:09:07 PM
In our last three games we have conceded
20 points (to 13 men)
31 points
33 points

And it was Cheddar who was reading the whole situation wrong by playing a sweeper.

Unbelievable concession of scores for definite but just to balance the point regarding Cheddar and sweeper systems... The scoreline when Laois played Limerick last year (2016) under Cheddar was Limerick 6-29 to Laois 1-12 and that's with one sometimes quite often two sweepers in defence.

No difference really. Point is it doesn't really matter about sweepers and systems, players are simply not good enough and that's not taking from the huge effort they put in. Just not good enough full stop.

Absolutely accept that Laois shipped hammerings last year with Cheddar at the helm.
But the undoubted progress that was made from 13-15 was built around solidity first.
There was a very vocal element of supporters, delegates and players who were pushing for a more expansive game from the start of last year.
It has not worked. We cannot go toe to toe with these teams at present. There are two options.

1) Go out naively and get hammered before inevitably returning to Division 2A. I don't see any learning in this.

2) Set yourself up to be competitive from the start, reassess after 45-50 mins. Can we afford to go man on man for the last 20 minutes. Yes or no depending on the situation.
We cannot keep conceding like we have over the past 14 months. I don't see any solution but to employ a sweeper v the top 4 in the division.

The greatest trick the devil ever pulled.......

Tobias

I would lay a lot of the blame at the management team door for this one. This supposedly great back room team that was assembled leaves much to be desired in my opinion. I really felt sorry for the full back line, even though we conceded over 50 points I thought Healy, Bergin and Palmer were very good for long periods considering the pressure they were under. A blind man could see what Limerick were doing, dragging our half back line all over the place and leaving huge space for their full forward line and runners coming from deep. This is the area where we were destroyed last night. There was 60 yards of space between our full back and half back lines. Our half back line were taken to the cleaners as Hegarty beat us on his own in the first half, I don't know how they left Mullaney on him for so long. Midfield were ok at times but were second best overall. In fairness to our forward line the all had their moments with Cha leading the charge and Aaron Dunphy scoring 4 points off Seamus Hickey on his first start. 1-19 is no bad score against Limerick so it's obvious where the problem was.
Is a sweeper the answer?...for me no it's not. All other top teams have developed a defensive strategy of not conceding goals by funnelling guys from the half forward line and midfield back to help out defensively and close down space. Apart from Tipp kk game last night where 5 goals we're scored, there have been very very few goals scored in the league this year. Laois more than anyone need to adopt this type of defensive system, what went on last night was criminal.
When this system is followed you get your scores from out the field and leave one or two ball winners inside for the ones that won't reach the target i.e
Shane O Donnell and Aaron Shanagher - Clare
Maurice Shanahan - Waterford
Seamie Callanan and John McGrath - Tipp etc etc
We have guys who can take scores from out the field i.e Cha, Purcell, picky and leave Foyle and maybe Willie Dunphy inside. The game is built on a huge work rate and intensity to win the battles out the field. I really hope we are not as naive in Wexford, put in a performance and for God sake not be handing soft goals away. We really missed Mathew last night too, our half back line was very porous, it's such an important line and we need men in there to stand up and drive the team forward.

Keyser Söze

Quote from: Tobias on March 12, 2017, 03:09:24 PM
I would lay a lot of the blame at the management team door for this one. This supposedly great back room team that was assembled leaves much to be desired in my opinion. I really felt sorry for the full back line, even though we conceded over 50 points I thought Healy, Bergin and Palmer were very good for long periods considering the pressure they were under. A blind man could see what Limerick were doing, dragging our half back line all over the place and leaving huge space for their full forward line and runners coming from deep. This is the area where we were destroyed last night. There was 60 yards of space between our full back and half back lines. Our half back line were taken to the cleaners as Hegarty beat us on his own in the first half, I don't know how they left Mullaney on him for so long. Midfield were ok at times but were second best overall. In fairness to our forward line the all had their moments with Cha leading the charge and Aaron Dunphy scoring 4 points off Seamus Hickey on his first start. 1-19 is no bad score against Limerick so it's obvious where the problem was.
Is a sweeper the answer?...for me no it's not. All other top teams have developed a defensive strategy of not conceding goals by funnelling guys from the half forward line and midfield back to help out defensively and close down space. Apart from Tipp kk game last night where 5 goals we're scored, there have been very very few goals scored in the league this year. Laois more than anyone need to adopt this type of defensive system, what went on last night was criminal.
When this system is followed you get your scores from out the field and leave one or two ball winners inside for the ones that won't reach the target i.e
Shane O Donnell and Aaron Shanagher - Clare
Maurice Shanahan - Waterford
Seamie Callanan and John McGrath - Tipp etc etc
We have guys who can take scores from out the field i.e Cha, Purcell, picky and leave Foyle and maybe Willie Dunphy inside. The game is built on a huge work rate and intensity to win the battles out the field. I really hope we are not as naive in Wexford, put in a performance and for God sake not be handing soft goals away. We really missed Mathew last night too, our half back line was very porous, it's such an important line and we need men in there to stand up and drive the team forward.

A lot of sense talked there.
You are correct in saying that a sweeper might not be the answer. Withdrawing the half forward line would certainly help.
I agree that the management seem to be very naive. The way we started against Offaly was mainly down to the 2 v 2 we were happy to play on our full back line. Madness.
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled.......

clonadmad

Cheer up Lads,it's not all bad

If Offaly beat Kerry,Laois will play Tipp in a League quarter final.......

burdizzo

No, if Offaly beat Kerry, we'll prob. be playing Kerry in a relegation final. Our score difference will be the worst in the group, I'd imagine.

clonadmad

Kerry at -46

Laois at -53

your probably right,best to be grateful for small mercies then

Don Draper

I have massive time for Cahir Healy, and I realise he loves the hurling, but at this point its becoming like a waste of talent seeing him marooned like this. Our best footballing back in 20 years or so, is shipping 40 point beatings while hurling. You've done enough Cahir, go off and give the football a few years. No one will begrudge you it. I realise its not all sunshine over there either, but at the same time, go on.

As for our hurling, and where we go from here. God only knows. Maybe the brains calling for Cheddar to leave can tell us.

blueandwhite1

Quote from: Don Draper on March 12, 2017, 06:24:59 PM
I have massive time for Cahir Healy, and I realise he loves the hurling, but at this point its becoming like a waste of talent seeing him marooned like this. Our best footballing back in 20 years or so, is shipping 40 point beatings while hurling. You've done enough Cahir, go off and give the football a few years. No one will begrudge you it. I realise its not all sunshine over there either, but at the same time, go on.

As for our hurling, and where we go from here. God only knows. Maybe the brains calling for Cheddar to leave can tell us.

Don't agree with this at all. We have relied on lads like Cahir for years to be the difference between a mid table Division 2 side and at least getting exposure to the top table. He is amongst a long line of heroes who have given some respectability to Laois hurling, despite regular poundings. How important is it to clubs like Portlaoise to have lads like Cahir plugging away with the hurling? Without him and his ilk over the years, Laois hurling would be dead. Not at all a waste of talent.

clonadmad

You'd swear Laois Football was an infinitely more appealing proposition

Don Draper

Quote from: clonadmad on March 12, 2017, 08:13:19 PM

Y

You'd swear Laois Football was an infinitely more appealing proposition
You must have missed the place were I said as much.

Don Draper

Quote from: blueandwhite1 on March 12, 2017, 08:05:39 PM

Don't agree with this at all. We have relied on lads like Cahir for years to be the difference between a mid table Division 2 side and at least getting exposure to the top table. He is amongst a long line of heroes who have given some respectability to Laois hurling, despite regular poundings. How important is it to clubs like Portlaoise to have lads like Cahir plugging away with the hurling? Without him and his ilk over the years, Laois hurling would be dead. Not at all a waste of talent.
A waste of his football talent. It's right there in the post.

clonadmad

Fairly obvious where his loyalties lie.

I'd say jumping ship when he's needed most wouldnt as much as cross his mind either.

Your football bias is showing