The Official Aston Villa supporters thread

Started by Doogie Browser, October 23, 2008, 10:40:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

?

shark

Great win for the Villa.  Reo-Coker was outstanding, but then he was equally good in the Peace Cup and wan't picked for the Wigan match.  That result should put 10k on the attendance for Thur night.  Will be there myself for half nothing, god bless Michael O'Leary.

Doogie Browser

Dunne is coming to Villa - a good bit of business to augment our side. 

anportmorforjfc

Quote from: Doogie Browser on August 27, 2009, 03:50:29 PM

theres an extra couple of own goals and sending offs for yous over the whole season

Doogie Browser

Quote from: anportmorforjfc on August 27, 2009, 03:54:50 PM
Quote from: Doogie Browser on August 27, 2009, 03:50:29 PM

theres an extra couple of own goals and sending offs for yous over the whole season
Just seen your post on the other thread, I disagree and actually rate Dunne as it seems so do the Man City fans (POTY for 3/4 seasons in a row I think).  A good player with a few rough edges, no nonsense centre half though and we need that bit of steel at the back.

gerry

Looking for the captains armband as well if you go by the reports on the web.

I am sure your current captain will be over the moon
God bless the hills of Dooish, be they heather-clad or lea,

Doogie Browser

Since Barry left  >:( and Laursen retired  :'( we have not really had a permanent captain anyway, Petrov is the holder now and I would expect him to retain it too be honest.

lurganblue

definately happy with this bit of business.  TBH i was wondering why all the reports about warnock when i think it is clear that we need CH cover more than left back at the moment.

Here's hoping we can put on a performance tonight and qualify for the group stages.

Main Street

The report said that Villa were offering him the captaincy not that he was looking for it.
Probably a dubious report.
But if there was one player who could just walk into that role in his first game, it would be Dunne.
It is one of the bargain buys at current prices in the EPL.
In no time, he will be a fan's favourite.

Archie Mitchell

Gutted that Dunnie is leaving City. The man is an absolute legend in my eyes. Sure he makes the odd mistake, but who doesnt. For his mistakes, he makes up for it in his effort and no nonsense approach. He didn't win player of the year at City 4 years in a row for nothing!! He deserved to be City captain, but I don't think he has the attributes to be a captain. For all his heroics and bravado on the pitch, he is quite a shy guy and needs a good keeper behind him who can shout and organise things. He improved alot when Given came to City last year, and I don't think Villa will have a problem with Friedel behind him. All the best to him though.

P.S Could use not have taken Tal Ben-Haim off City instead??

GBXII

Looks like a great buy for Villa and good value too. Seems a bit daft by Hughes to get rid of him but I suppose if he's not gona start he might as well move club. I think it could be a bad move though by city because I'm not so sure that their new partnership in the centre of defence is going to work, but we'll see..

Eastern_Pride

Quote from: Archie Mitchell on August 27, 2009, 07:28:00 PM
Gutted that Dunnie is leaving City. The man is an absolute legend in my eyes. Sure he makes the odd mistake, but who doesnt. For his mistakes, he makes up for it in his effort and no nonsense approach. He didn't win player of the year at City 4 years in a row for nothing!! He deserved to be City captain, but I don't think he has the attributes to be a captain. For all his heroics and bravado on the pitch, he is quite a shy guy and needs a good keeper behind him who can shout and organise things. He improved alot when Given came to City last year, and I don't think Villa will have a problem with Friedel behind him. All the best to him though.

P.S Could use not have taken Tal Ben-Haim off City instead??[
That was Chelsea's problem until you sorted it....he's yours now!
Do you think Usain Bolt could replace Thomas Walsh?

Main Street

Watched what I could from a Macedonian tv stream.
It looked like Dunne was on the left of a MON 3 man central defense.
Looked like he did very well for his first game.
What did the Villa fans think?

shark

Quote from: Main Street on September 13, 2009, 02:07:39 PM
Watched what I could from a Macedonian tv stream.
It looked like Dunne was on the left of a MON 3 man central defense.
Looked like he did very well for his first game.
What did the Villa fans think?

It was a flat back 4. Cueller was right back. Dunne was very solid, James Collins was immense. Awful match but from a Villa perspective it matters little.

Main Street

Sky Sports were impressed.
"Man of the match: Richard Dunne. Slipped straight into leadership duties with aplomb, cleared everything thrown at him. Excellent."

Considering about 1/2 the Villa fans on a few of their messageboards were convinced they had signed a donkey, it's a good start for Dunne.
He had a below average game for Ireland in Cyprus, probably as I suspected, down to some hangover trauma from his move to a new club.

Archie Mitchell

Didn't see much of this today but not suprised big Dunnie was stuck in the thick of it. He thrives in this sort of environment. Good to see him get off to a good start. He doesn't suit the claret and blue kit, should still be wearing sky blue!