The Official Aston Villa supporters thread

Started by Doogie Browser, October 23, 2008, 10:40:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

?

anportmorforjfc

i think yous will bounce back from defeat to boro and win at Arsenal

youbetterbelieveit

Great victory for the Villa today, proves we can really compete and possibly replace Arsenal in the top four this year.

ONeill

Villa are a decent side. Don't think they have the star quality over a course of a season to break into the top 4.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

bigfrank

Quote from: anportmorforjfc on November 10, 2008, 09:25:26 PM
i think yous will bounce back from defeat to boro and win at Arsenal

Your not so slow!!!:) tip us against united next week too please!!

lurganblue

looks like MON got his tactics just right against the gooners. I was worried that leaving one up front would mean we were going to constantly sit back but it seemed that we actually had the better chances throughout the game. thought sidwell was very good.

when is Carew back?

Doogie Browser

Great result on Saturday, not only that but a fantastic performance.  Villa could have scored a lot more, when we missed the penalty I thought our chance had gone but it is credit to O'Neill and the spirit he has fostered that the team kept on pushing.  Arsenal were as I suggested a week or so ago too lightweight, limp in the tackle and wasteful in possession (never thought I would say that about them).  I don't really care about their problems though, fourth spot is def up for grabs this year now and hopefully Villa can be there or thereabouts, thats three games unbeaten at the Emirates for us now too - wonder will any other top flight teams go 3 seasons unbeaten there? 
Big plus on Sat was the clean sheet after the disaster last week against Middlesborough, Agbonlahor just gets better and better, I thought initially pace was his only weapon but his goal scoring this season particularly has increased significantly.  Laursen is as good a centre half there is in the division, Cuellar after a rocky start is settling in well now also in defence, Ashley Young didn't let the penalty miss affect his game and put in another quality performance and O'Neill stuck with Sidwell after his balls up last week and was rewarded with a solid display.  5 across the middle was a great system and I wonder will he try the same on Sat against Man U?  Our record against them is atrocious over the past 15 years so a draw would be a great result but after Sat we have to believe we can get all three points.

Dinny Breen

Villa have no chance of 4th spot, squad is too weak, don't delude yourselves that by Villa beating Arsenal they have somehow bridged a gap. Villa always give Arsenal problems.
#newbridgeornowhere

Doogie Browser

Not deluding myself as it seems not just Villa but Fulham, Hull & Stoke are giving Arsenal problems this season and as a result will make fourth more difficult to achieve for them. Arsenal have already lost more games this season than last. 

under the bar

Great result for Villa, however unless Randy Lerner has a spare 100 million sitting around you won't be breaking the top 4 stranglehold.  You have a good team and a great manager but money talks.  City are the only club I can see becoming top 4 within the next few years.

As a Utd fan I am not relishing us travelling to Villa next week.

Doogie Browser

Quote from: under the bar on November 17, 2008, 01:42:12 PM
Great result for Villa, however unless Randy Lerner has a spare 100 million sitting around you won't be breaking the top 4 stranglehold.  You have a good team and a great manager but money talks.  City are the only club I can see becoming top 4 within the next few years.

As a Utd fan I am not relishing us travelling to Villa next week.
I know Villa will not have the financial muscle of teams like Utd, Chelsea and now City.  The top four will invariably involve the usual suspects, but Villa do have a solid base for investment and a lot less debt than the big four.  This season there is a chink of light given Arsenal's recent problems, FFS as a fan we have to believe otherwise we would give up already.

Don't worry about this Saturday, United ALWAYS stuff Villa  :P

lurganblue

thats very true. utd do always stuff villa. even when we think we might get a win in the FA cup, van the man comes of the bench and sinks us!! >:(

at the start of the year i lived in hope that we could nick liverpool's spot in the top four but i would be just as happy to nick arsenal's spot instead. i live in hope

Doogie Browser

United are the only 'big four' team we have always stuggled against lurganblue so a win this weekend is long overdue.  I don't want this top 4 'pipedream' of ours overshadowing the thread though, Villa have improved each year now under O'Neill so even a finish of 5th this year would be a success.

I would love us to win the FA cup this season as we have not won it since 1957 (beating utd incidentally)

tbrick18

I personally dont think money is an issue for Villa. I read a while back that Lerner has a bigger personal fortune than Roman Abramovich....while Roman is worth more from a business point of view Randy is a rich individual. I also read that if O'Neill said he wanted 30M for one player he thought he needed, that Randy would back that. Doesnt sound like there is any restriction on O'Neills spending power.
I think he is trying to build a team which will be there for years to come....and the better he does the more high profile players he will sign. For example, he had tried to sign Boswinga from Porto b4 Chelsea. Now if the team had been in a stronger position there is no doubt in my mind he wold have signed. So if we are trying to sign players that the likes of Chelsea are after then there must be money available.
So I dont think it will be money that prevents us getting into the top 4. This year might be a year too early, but I still think we have a good chance.

Doogie Browser

I just hope bigfrank has Utd in one of his bets this week - that way we are sure to win.

bigfrank

cheers Doogie!!! Glad to know u are following me lol:) Im a villa man so prob leave that game along and just enjoy the late kick off in the pub!! I send a few more tips this week for ya ok