The Official Aston Villa supporters thread

Started by Doogie Browser, October 23, 2008, 10:40:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: EC Unique on January 08, 2014, 12:10:56 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on January 08, 2014, 11:51:38 AM
Quote from: laoislad on January 08, 2014, 11:43:27 AM
Thomas Hitzlsperger has become the most high-profile footballer to come out, announcing on Wednesday that he is gay. The former Aston Villa, Everton and West Ham player has given a long interview to the German paper Die Zeit, in which he says that he is talking about his sexuality because he wants to "to further the debate about homosexuality among sports professionals".

Hitzlsperger represented Germany 52 times, played in a World Cup and a European Championship and won the German league with Stuttgart. He retired in September last year, having also played for Lazio in Italy and Wolfsburg. "It's been a long and difficult process" [of becoming aware of being gay]. Only in the last few years have I realised that I preferred living together with a man," Hitzlsperger added.

"In England, Italy and Germany being a homosexual is no big thing, at least not in the dressing room," he said, before adding: "I was never ashamed of being who I am but it was not always easy to sit on a table with 20 young men and listen to jokes about gays. You let them get on with it as long as the jokes are somewhat funny and not too insulting.

"Being gay is topic that is 'ignored' in football and not 'a serious topic in the changing room'. Fighting spirit, passion and winning mentality are intrinsically linked, that doesn't fit the cliché: 'gays are soft'".

We should poll the boarders and see how many are gay, now that would be a thread!!

I heard once that statistically it is 1 in 4 but I doubt that.

One in four? greedy bastard
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

ziggy90

Questions that shouldn't be asked shouldn't be answered

laoislad

When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

ziggy90

ziggy90

I think Thomas Hitzlwhatsisface is a very brave man for coming out and admitting he played for the Vile.

muppet

Ross O'Carroll-Kelly ‏@RossOCK 1h
I'm late to this, but fair focks to that gay goy for admitting that he's a former soccer player.
MWWSI 2017

brokencrossbar1

dec

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/28085658

Aston Villa: Roy Keane confirmed as Paul Lambert's assistant

Roy Keane has been appointed assistant manager at Aston Villa. Villa boss Paul Lambert approached Keane at the end of last season with a view to combining the role with his existing job as number two to Republic of Ireland manager Martin O'Neill. O'Neill has given the move his approval and Keane, 42, will be in place when pre-season training begins on Monday. "I am delighted to be joining Villa and look forward to what promises to be an exciting challenge," Keane said. The club did not disclose the length of Keane's contract. "I am grateful to both Villa and the Football Association of Ireland for making this happen and would like also to thank Martin O'Neill," Keane added.
"I am relishing the prospect of linking up with Paul Lambert and combining both roles to the full advantage of both Villa and Ireland."

Former Manchester United midfielder Keane, who has managed Sunderland and Ipswich, replaces Lambert's previous assistant Ian Culverhouse, who was dismissed in May following an internal investigation. "Roy has a great knowledge of football, on the coaching side as well, and he'll be a great asset and a big help to everybody here at Aston Villa Football Club," Lambert said. "I'm really looking forward to working with him and I'm delighted that he's here. The players will love working with him. "He has worked under some great managers, some of the most successful in the game, and he'll be a great help to myself as well."

Keane, who was recently linked with the managerial vacancy at Celtic, was appointed along with O'Neill by the Republic on a two-year deal in November. Villa finished 15th in the Premier League last season, only five points above the relegation places. BBC Sport's Pat Murphy said: "Lambert needs a strong assistant to sort out several high-earning, under-achieving Villa players. Keane is ideal for that."

Villa begin the new Premier League season at Stoke City on the weekend of 16-17 August.

Keane joins Villa amid ongoing efforts by owner Randy Lerner to sell the club.

Meanwhile, Villa have confirmed midfielder Gary Gardner, 22, and striker Callum Robinson, 19 have signed new two-year deals.

ziggy90

Quote from: dec on July 01, 2014, 09:13:15 PM
http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/28085658

Aston Villa: Roy Keane confirmed as Paul Lambert's assistant

Roy Keane has been appointed assistant manager at Aston Villa. Villa boss Paul Lambert approached Keane at the end of last season with a view to combining the role with his existing job as number two to Republic of Ireland manager Martin O'Neill. O'Neill has given the move his approval and Keane, 42, will be in place when pre-season training begins on Monday. "I am delighted to be joining Villa and look forward to what promises to be an exciting challenge," Keane said. The club did not disclose the length of Keane's contract. "I am grateful to both Villa and the Football Association of Ireland for making this happen and would like also to thank Martin O'Neill," Keane added.
"I am relishing the prospect of linking up with Paul Lambert and combining both roles to the full advantage of both Villa and Ireland."

Former Manchester United midfielder Keane, who has managed Sunderland and Ipswich, replaces Lambert's previous assistant Ian Culverhouse, who was dismissed in May following an internal investigation. "Roy has a great knowledge of football, on the coaching side as well, and he'll be a great asset and a big help to everybody here at Aston Villa Football Club," Lambert said. "I'm really looking forward to working with him and I'm delighted that he's here. The players will love working with him. "He has worked under some great managers, some of the most successful in the game, and he'll be a great help to myself as well."

Keane, who was recently linked with the managerial vacancy at Celtic, was appointed along with O'Neill by the Republic on a two-year deal in November. Villa finished 15th in the Premier League last season, only five points above the relegation places. BBC Sport's Pat Murphy said: "Lambert needs a strong assistant to sort out several high-earning, under-achieving Villa players. Keane is ideal for that."

Villa begin the new Premier League season at Stoke City on the weekend of 16-17 August.

Keane joins Villa amid ongoing efforts by owner Randy Lerner to sell the club.

Meanwhile, Villa have confirmed midfielder Gary Gardner, 22, and striker Callum Robinson, 19 have signed new two-year deals.

Culverhouse was sacked for alleged bullying.

ballinaman

Roy Keane has stepped down with immediate effect....

Bingo

brokencrossbar1

mouview

Quote from: ballinaman on November 28, 2014, 09:38:59 AM
Roy Keane has stepped down with immediate effect....

Jeez, it's not as if the Irish job is over-strenuous or labour-intensive; all he has to do is lay out the cones and keep his gob closed.

AZOffaly

Did he step down from the FAI, or from Villa?

maddog