The IRISH RUGBY thread

Started by Donnellys Hollow, October 27, 2009, 05:26:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gallsman

Diminished grounds only applicable if you swallow (lol) the story given.

To be honest, in my opinion, you'd have to be either corrupt or an absolute moron to buy that.

GetOverTheBar

To be honest I'd be highly surprised if this is a one off anyway. Doping in sport (in my opinion) is vast. You ever notice they tend to throw some young buck under the bus every so often?

The lad from Monaghan GAA there a few years ago for example - you think he's the only fella in the GAA dabbles? I know of people in my own club that take pre workouts that would fail a blood test (if they did them....)

Of course Rugby being a professional sport the tests will be more thorough but I suspect this is more than a one off in all areas of Rugby Union. Was always very keen to learn who Gatland suspected was doping for Wales.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: gallsman on April 21, 2020, 10:07:15 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on April 21, 2020, 09:45:17 AM
Quote from: johnnycool on April 21, 2020, 09:39:16 AM
Quote from: gallsman on April 21, 2020, 09:20:03 AM
Any thoughts on James Cronin's positive test being ruled accidental because the pharmacy accidentally have him the wrong bag and then he didn't notice the pills he was taking had somebody else's name on the box and bottle and even though they weren't what he was supposed to be taking he just took a load of pills that had a banned substance in them? Accidentally of course.

If that's taken as true then the pharmacy in question should really be in the shit for doling out the wrong drugs to the wrong person.

Surely he'd have read the label, no?

In fairness I wouldn't know one drug from the next on a label and the names on the labels are very small. But I'd like to see the label in question

You'd just pick up a prescription and start horsing pills into you? Wouldn't check the bottle/box to look at the dosage even?

No, and I've limited use of pills, but the last set I got for my gout naproxen's I think, I never looked at the name on the box, I just assumed they were for me when I picked them up. Daft I know but that's what I did, If I ever get pills again I'll check!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

LeoMc

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 23, 2020, 06:01:46 PM
Quote from: Taylor on March 22, 2020, 04:15:32 PM
Quote from: seafoid on March 22, 2020, 10:16:06 AM
https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/karen-robinson-walton-i-am-looking-at-him-i-say-benjamin-what-have-we-done-1.4208226

Jesus - harrowing stuff.

That was one tough read - heart goes out to that lady and her family

Harrowing!  absolutely terrifying experience to go through
I had been aware of her and Bens father from Twitter as they do a lot of raising awareness into brain injuries. I hadn't realised he was from here.

yellowcard

Quote from: gallsman on April 21, 2020, 10:06:02 AM
If true the pharmacy should certainly be questioned, although surely from time to time genuine mistakes like that happen.

However, just snaffling a load of pills? That have someone else's name on the box/bottle you don't know the name of? Oil the other one.

Would Cronin not have a case against the pharmacy, he has suffered serious reputational damage as a result of the negligence of the pharmacist. Not to mention the 'other James Cronin' who presumably also took medication which was not intended for him. Cronin must be seething with the pharmacy if they genuinely administered him with the wrong drugs.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: LeoMc on April 21, 2020, 12:04:19 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 23, 2020, 06:01:46 PM
Quote from: Taylor on March 22, 2020, 04:15:32 PM
Quote from: seafoid on March 22, 2020, 10:16:06 AM
https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/karen-robinson-walton-i-am-looking-at-him-i-say-benjamin-what-have-we-done-1.4208226

Jesus - harrowing stuff.

That was one tough read - heart goes out to that lady and her family

Harrowing!  absolutely terrifying experience to go through
I had been aware of her and Bens father from Twitter as they do a lot of raising awareness into brain injuries. I hadn't realised he was from here.
It's unfortunate for the young lad and his family but I think there have been significant improvements in concussion management as a result of this. Even at Medallion some of the hits are huge and you can have a relatively slightly made up lad getting smashed by a 16 stone bruiser.

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: yellowcard on April 21, 2020, 02:52:52 PM
Quote from: gallsman on April 21, 2020, 10:06:02 AM
If true the pharmacy should certainly be questioned, although surely from time to time genuine mistakes like that happen.

However, just snaffling a load of pills? That have someone else's name on the box/bottle you don't know the name of? Oil the other one.

Would Cronin not have a case against the pharmacy, he has suffered serious reputational damage as a result of the negligence of the pharmacist. Not to mention the 'other James Cronin' who presumably also took medication which was not intended for him. Cronin must be seething with the pharmacy if they genuinely administered him with the wrong drugs.

The only negligence was his own. It's his fault, that's how doping works. There is no grey area.

seafoid

Leinster and Ulster got their arses handed to them on plates at the weekend. This means that the standard in Ireland has fallen behind. How will Nucifora respond ?

https://www.rte.ie/sport/rugby/2020/0919/1166248-cullen-leinster-got-a-little-bit-spooked/

Leo Cullen felt Leinster got "spooked" by their poor start against Saracens as their double hopes were shattered by the Champions Cup holders.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

seafoid

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/the-offload-saracens-prove-pro14-is-not-fit-for-purpose-1.4359761

The Offload: Saracens prove Pro14 is not fit for purpose
The alternative to fans in stadiums, according to the IRFU, is financial collapse

Gavin Cummiskey

Senior officials from the GAA, IRFU and the FAI have warned the Oireachtas committee on Covid-19 response of the financial hardships their associations face should sports matches continue to be played behind closed doors long-term in Ireland.

South African solution
There is a clear pattern. Every time a super club rises to the top of European rugby - be it Saracens or Toulon before them - the Irish provinces huff and puff but cannot blow the house down.

When the coach of a team that has gone 25 games unbeaten - bookended by Champions Cup defeats to Sarries - talks about his players being "spooked" on the biggest day of the season you can safely assume that deeper problems than preparation or physicality exist.

Leo Cullen knows better than the rest of us that Munster, Ulster, nor any other Pro14 side, offer little to no preparation for the examination Saracens gave Leinster's set piece. That suffocating pressure does not exist week to week because the Pro14 is not fit for purpose. Not without the real South African franchises and not with the current rabble of uncompetitive outfits.

There are multiple examples of why the Irish provinces need to escape their current 'domestic' league but here's one; the 2018 World Player of the Year was rested for a grand final that Leinster won pulling up.

The Scarlets blew both Leinster and Munster out of the water to capture the 2017 title only for their best forward, Tadhg Beirne, to move to Limerick.Welsh sides lack the organisation and interest to make the Pro14 work. The Scots are not good enough because their best players play for English and French clubs. The Italians and fifth string South African offerings are an embarrassment.

Leinster must wait until next year's Champions Cup quarter-finals before they can truly know how far they have progressed.

What's the definition of insanity again?

CVC - rugby's new commercial partners - can fix this with one signature. If the Springboks director of rugby Rassie Erasmus can get the Bulls, Stormers, Lions and Sharks into an expanded Pro14 the Irish provinces will very quickly learn how to cope with the next English and French blitz.

The alternative is to get used to last weekend's results.

Word of mouth
"If these projections were to materialise, the very existence of professional rugby on the island would be under significant threat in 2021. Our audited financial statements for the period to July 31st 2020 will show an actual record financial loss of more than €35 million" - Philip Browne CEO of the IRFU

SOS
Philip Browne's SOS to the government last Friday morning should be commended. Throughout this pandemic, and financial crisis that bleeds Irish rugby of €5 million a month, the chief executive has shown leadership by providing clear and unvarnished reality checks.

Philip Browne appeared before the Oireachtas Special Committee on Covid-19 Response to outline the IRFU's severe financial losses for the year. Photograph: PA
Philip Browne appeared before the Oireachtas Special Committee on Covid-19 Response to outline the IRFU's severe financial losses for the year. Photograph: PA
Browne's financial prudence must have led to some interesting chit chats with his former FAI counterpart over the years.

The glassy horse shoe on Lansdowne road is the game's major problem. As Browne told the Oireachtas Covid-19 Response Committee, unless international rugby can accommodate supporters "in meaningful numbers" at the Aviva, Thomond Park and Kingspan stadium, "the whole rugby infrastructure built over the last 150 years is under threat."

Munster and Ulster are in the worst financial trouble, says Browne, but a plan has been handed over for Government approval to allow the most cherished fan of all to return to watch international matches this year: the 10-year ticket holder.

There is €32 million worth of these rugby lovers awaiting permission to attend matches. The 51,700 capacity stadium could take in 18,000 with one metre social distancing but 12,000 would cover the 10-year and premium ticket holders. The grave concern of Cillian De Gascun and his Nphet colleagues is how and where these supporters would congregate before and after games.

This is the health versus wealth debate with all its impossible conundrums, but fans in stadiums appeared to work in France, England and Australia over the weekend. The alternative, according to Browne, is financial collapse.

By the numbers
12,000 - the number of supporters needed at the Avvia stadium (capacity 51,700) for the IRFU to invoice €32 million's worth of 10-year and premium ticket holders.

Baile Brigín 2

But the goys have been telling us for years how much better run they are...

seafoid

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: seafoid on September 21, 2020, 06:10:47 PM
Roysh

All the goys in the IRFU on 4 day weeks have more time to drink the H bombs in Keilys.

On a slightly serious note, when did the LoI become more financially robust than provincial rugby? And them much more reliant on gates

sid waddell

Quote from: seafoid on September 21, 2020, 05:08:28 PM

This is the health versus wealth debate with all its impossible conundrums, but fans in stadiums appeared to work in France, England and Australia over the weekend. The alternative, according to Browne, is financial collapse.
Bizarre line

It's not as if people were suddenly going to drop dead of Covid inside stadiums

The only way we can work out whether "it works" is over a long period of time and if it's implemented on a widespread basis

Atalanta v Valencia shows that such events can and very likely will contribute to virus spread

Never beat the deeler

Quote from: sid waddell on September 21, 2020, 07:48:52 PM
Quote from: seafoid on September 21, 2020, 05:08:28 PM

Bizarre line

It's not as if people were suddenly going to drop dead of Covid inside stadiums

The only way we can work out whether "it works" is over a long period of time and if it's implemented on a widespread basis

Atalanta v Valencia shows that such events can and very likely will contribute to virus spread

The last 3 months in Australia, a widely dispersed population with distinct individual areas - a federation of states:
Total cases 19,255, population approx 24.99m. 1 case in 1,300
Majority of these were in victoria, which is not allowing sports - 18,215 cases in 6.65m pop. 1 in 365 people

The rest of Australia, where sports are allowed, each have varying levels of restrictions. Holistically, the number of cases have been very low:
1040 cases in 18.34m pop, or 1 in 17,600 people.

Compare this to Ireland's cases in the same period - 7,566 in population of 4.95m or 1 in 654 (taken from worldometers, seems to be for 26 counties only)

So Victoria has a high level of cases, no sport allowed. Ireland has similar volumes per population - sport allowed but restricted numbers of spectators.
Remainder of Aus has an extremely low volume of cases and still restricting numbers of spectators
Hasta la victoria siempre

seafoid

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/matt-williams-the-sky-is-not-falling-in-on-irish-rugby-but-ireland-do-need-a-new-plan-1.4363512

One thing is certain, playing the same tactics as Ireland did at the Rugby World Cup and the Six Nations matches of earlier this year will result in continued failure.
Ireland's success hinges on Andy Farrell producing an invigorated game plan that puts doubt into opposition minds and maximises the considerable talent of the current pool of Irish players