Joe Brolly

Started by randomtask, July 31, 2011, 05:28:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Main Street

Hopefully the school goers to Colm's school learn that context defines meaning. In a thread about addictions (elsewhere) I wrote about giving up the fags, cue a deluge of outrage from 4 or 5 US based members. I had to inform them that in the context of an addiction disussion, fags refers to cigarettes, not an insult to gays. But they were so rigidly stuck inside their pc box they did not relent. The admin usually very strict did not intervene.

BennyCake

Quote from: Main Street on February 04, 2020, 02:01:44 PM
Hopefully the school goers to Colm's school learn that context defines meaning. In a thread about addictions (elsewhere) I wrote about giving up the fags, cue a deluge of outrage from 4 or 5 US based members. I had to inform them that in the context of an addiction disussion, fags refers to cigarettes, not an insult to gays. But they were so rigidly stuck inside their pc box they did not relent. The admin usually very strict did not intervene.

Can you imagine the uproar if you'd posted a recipe for pork faggots? You'd have got abuse from vegans, Muslims and the gays!

five points

Quote from: BennyCake on February 04, 2020, 02:13:13 PM
Can you imagine the uproar if you'd posted a recipe for pork faggots? You'd have got abuse from vegans, Muslims and the gays!

Commonplace on English pub menus. And nobody even notices.

Taylor

Quote from: five points on February 04, 2020, 02:30:15 PM

Oh no doubt its coming five points...........once there is nothing else to complain about

rosnarun

Quote from: Taylor on February 04, 2020, 02:49:52 PM
Can you imagine the uproar if you’d posted a recipe for pork faggots? You’d have got abuse from vegans, Muslims and the gays!

Oh no doubt its coming five points...........once there is nothing else to complain about
you can't let activist groups dictate the language we use because they will not stop
think of it as part of Newton's law of motion '....... objects will remain in their state of motion unless a force acts to change the motion.'
once you surrender you choice of words you linit you thinking , that's the whole warning from 1984  .
these are Dangerous people 
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

Main Street

Quote from: Main Street on February 04, 2020, 02:01:44 PM

;D
never knew that one,
Though I'm an inveterate vegetarian, If I weren't I wonder how I'd relish the prospect of eating Faggots and groaty dick, I read it's an acquired taste.

AFM

Quote from: rosnarun on February 04, 2020, 02:56:59 PM
Quote from: Taylor on February 04, 2020, 02:49:52 PM

you can't let activist groups dictate the language we use because they will not stop
think of it as part of Newton's law of motion '....... objects will remain in their state of motion unless a force acts to change the motion.'
once you surrender you choice of words you linit you thinking , that's the whole warning from 1984  .
these are Dangerous people

What happened opal fruits?

BennyCake

They were always Opal Fruits to me!

But, apparently they are reverting back to Opal Fruits.

LeoMc

Quote from: BennyCake on February 04, 2020, 04:34:05 PM

Is there something about a star burst that would upset the gays!

Westside

Quote from: Dougal Maguire on February 04, 2020, 01:00:34 AM
Quote from: Westside on February 03, 2020, 10:48:43 PM
A horrible phrase to come out with even if he didn't mean it in any sort of homosexual slur. I'd be unhappy if I had a son going to his school. He's from a different time though I suppose so hopefully this shit will mostly die out with his generation. Having traits or characteristics mostly viewed as feminine doesn't make you weak. There's young lads across the country killing themselves because only 'pansy boys' talk about their feelings. That's an extreme example but it's all coming from the same place. Don't think there should be any question of him losing his job but hope someone had a stern word in his ear.
So where does calling someone a Big Girl's Blouse or a girly swot figure in terms of political incorrectness? Are they worse than Pansy Boy?

You want me to come up with a hierarchy? What a strange point to try to make.

BennyCake

Quote from: LeoMc on February 04, 2020, 08:48:56 PM
Quote from: BennyCake on February 04, 2020, 04:34:05 PM

Is there something about a star burst that would upset the gays!

I don't think so. Changing the name of Opal Fruits just rankles with me 37 years on  ;D

Dougal Maguire

Quote from: Westside on February 04, 2020, 08:50:34 PM
Quote from: Dougal Maguire on February 04, 2020, 01:00:34 AM
A horrible phrase to come out with even if he didn't mean it in any sort of homosexual slur. I'd be unhappy if I had a son going to his school. He's from a different time though I suppose so hopefully this shit will mostly die out with his generation. Having traits or characteristics mostly viewed as feminine doesn't make you weak. There's young lads across the country killing themselves because only 'pansy boys' talk about their feelings. That's an extreme example but it's all coming from the same place. Don't think there should be any question of him losing his job but hope someone had a stern word in his ear.
So where does calling someone a Big Girl's Blouse or a girly swot figure in terms of political incorrectness? Are they worse than Pansy Boy?

You want me to come up with a hierarchy? What a strange point to try to make.
The 2 terms I referred to were used by Boris Johnson to describe Jeremy Corbyn and David Cameron that's why I mentioned them. But I think it would be good if you were to produce a hierarchy of indignation. By the way your linking of this to suicide is pretty pathetic to be honest
Careful now

Westside

Boris Johnson... riiiight... I'll leave you to make up your own hierarchy of indignation if you please, for now I'll just focus on the topic in hand and what Colm O'Rourke said.

If you can't see the link between this sort of toxic view of what comprises masculinity and the massive mental health issues among young men in this country then you clearly have no understanding of the subject.

Main Street

Quote from: Westside on February 04, 2020, 11:34:27 PM
Boris Johnson... riiiight... I'll leave you to make up your own hierarchy of indignation if you please, for now I'll just focus on the topic in hand and what Colm O'Rourke said.

If you can't see the link between this sort of toxic view of what comprises masculinity and the massive mental health issues among young men in this country then you clearly have no understanding of the subject.
I do have some understanding of mental health issues and they have nothing to do with Colm's oft expressed virtue of manliness on the football pitch.
But I can give a list of a myriad of evidenced reasons which are attributed to affecting male mental health.

The Boy Wonder

I find Westside's contribution bewildering - is he saying that homophobia (alleged in this instance) is a big issue but at the same time implying that ageism is not an issue ? I'm not up to speed on what is politically correct and what is not so maybe Westside might clarify this. I'm being quite serious here - I recently learned that one should not refer to people as Coloured but that Black is a politically correct term. Like myself, there's quite a section of the population who are oblivious to PC rules (and would like to stay that way if they had a choice).

Anyway, as another poster pointed out, context is critical when you look at Colm O'Rourke's comments which were offensive to some. What he said was said purely in the context of playing Gaelic Football. His audience would also, in the main, have been GAA enthusiasts. We know what he meant. Some on here have had a dig at his media performance. Ok, everyone is entitled to their opinion. Personally I respect the man and while not always agreeing with his viewpoints I would put him down as a very decent individual and certainly not someone who would intentionally set out to upset the Gay community.