FBD 2024

Started by Farrandeelin, November 08, 2012, 05:43:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Owenmoresider

Quote from: Crete Boom on January 12, 2017, 09:10:10 AM
Quote from: Syferus on January 12, 2017, 02:15:20 AM
Quote from: moysider on January 12, 2017, 01:22:27 AM
Quote from: sligoman2 on January 11, 2017, 10:16:18 PM
Maybe he can give us back Ardnaree seeing as  ye are so generous.  Then ballag.......

It's quite simple really. The football strongholds of Ardnaree and Bonniconlon were founded long after redrawing of county boundaries. Mayo legends like John Forde and Peter Quinn were from Ardnaree but played their football with Ballina because that was their local club at the time. In the 60s Bonni and Knockmore put out a team together. Joe Corcoran played his game with Ardnaree.

Ballagh. is a different animal. Ballagh. was founded as a club while the area was in Mayo, before the realignment of county boundaries took place. Like us losing Inish Boffin, that was also down to the decisions of the Congested District Board back in our colonial past. I can't understand how some people cant accept that a club that was started in Mayo wanted to continue playing in Mayo. Just because some British civil servant redrew a boundary changed damn all. They also had a lad in a shed draw a line between India and Pakistan in 1947 which didn't work out too well. 1 million killed in a chaotic migration  and still conflict in the Kashmir.
Ballagh. still see themselves as being a Mayo club. Get over it. I know ye wont though!!

Ye lost Ballagh just as ye took Ballina. Get over it. If you can call Ballagh Mayo then we're free to call you a Sligo man.

Ballina was never in Sligo , Ardnaree and Bonniconlon were because the river Moy was the county boundary.
The Gaa clubs of Bonniconlon and Ardnaree didn't exist the so it's a moot point!!
I suppose stealing Ballina can be another fictitious legend for the Sligo & Rossies lads to grumble about in dark corners in August while we are out playing championship football in the sunshine 8).
No AIF defeat for you lot this year so?

magpie seanie

Maybe he can give us back Ardnaree seeing as  ye are so generous.  Then ballag.......

It's quite simple really. The football strongholds of Ardnaree and Bonniconlon were founded long after redrawing of county boundaries. Mayo legends like John Forde and Peter Quinn were from Ardnaree but played their football with Ballina because that was their local club at the time. In the 60s Bonni and Knockmore put out a team together. Joe Corcoran played his game with Ardnaree.

Ballagh. is a different animal. Ballagh. was founded as a club while the area was in Mayo, before the realignment of county boundaries took place. Like us losing Inish Boffin, that was also down to the decisions of the Congested District Board back in our colonial past. I can't understand how some people cant accept that a club that was started in Mayo wanted to continue playing in Mayo. Just because some British civil servant redrew a boundary changed damn all. They also had a lad in a shed draw a line between India and Pakistan in 1947 which didn't work out too well. 1 million killed in a chaotic migration  and still conflict in the Kashmir.
Ballagh. still see themselves as being a Mayo club. Get over it. I know ye wont though!!

Ye lost Ballagh just as ye took Ballina. Get over it. If you can call Ballagh Mayo then we're free to call you a Sligo man.

Ballina was never in Sligo , Ardnaree and Bonniconlon were because the river Moy was the county boundary.
The Gaa clubs of Bonniconlon and Ardnaree didn't exist the so it's a moot point!!
I suppose stealing Ballina can be another fictitious legend for the Sligo & Rossies lads to grumble about in dark corners in August while we are out playing championship football in the sunshine 8).

Don't forget Bellaghy/Curry and Tom Parsons. Ridiculous how far inside Sligo that lad is from. Still - even with Prenty pulling every stroke possible for ye and the Taoiseach doing likewise ye still have the same number of All Irelands in the last 60 odd years as ourselves and Roscommon. Long may it continue.

ballinaman

Quote from: magpie seanie on January 12, 2017, 09:30:39 AM

Don't forget Bellaghy/Curry and Tom Parsons. Ridiculous how far inside Sligo that lad is from. Still - even with Prenty pulling every stroke possible for ye and the Taoiseach doing likewise ye still have the same number of All Irelands in the last 60 odd years as ourselves and Roscommon. Long may it continue.

Cunny Funt

Right back to the topic of the thread. What will likely happen on Sunday.

Leitrim who always peak for this competition to push experimental Galway side all the way.

Sligo to win pulling up against GMIT

Roscommon to be given a tough examination by NUIG but will sneak the win.

A mostly 3rd string Mayo line up to maul IT Sligo.

giveballaghback

Ah lads for fs dont start up this s.... again, we all have our point made at this stage, Mayo are dirty thieving land grabbers, the truth is bitter, im glad ye woke me up.

Lar Naparka

Quote from: giveballaghback on January 12, 2017, 10:33:46 PM
Ah lads for fs dont start up this s.... again, we all have our point made at this stage, Mayo are dirty thieving land grabbers, the truth is bitter, im glad ye woke me up.
Good man yerself, good to see you back. Nothing much has changed, I'm afraid, since you took your sabbatical. I'll accept yer remarks as a compliment.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Rossfan

I'm amused and intrigued by Lar's oul shtory about the Ballagh being so good that Ros Co Board tould them to go back to Darkland.  :D
Try as I might I can't find any records of Ballagh winning Co Championships or batin the lard outa any of the other Roscommon Clubs in them days.
I think it was some "Galballyman" equivalent saying "We're not going along with any Dilton inspired English Act" and so the good people of Ballagh have never been able to become fully enlightened.
So sad to see in that Prime Time programme tonight the flags of backwardness still dragging some of them down.
Mind you it's  great to see the great Roscommon generosity of spirit etc on display. That shows they are true Ros people despite that oul throwback to the dark ages.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Lar Naparka

Quote from: Rossfan on January 13, 2017, 12:01:27 AM
I'm amused and intrigued by Lar's oul shtory about the Ballagh being so good that Ros Co Board tould them to go back to Darkland.  :D
Try as I might I can't find any records of Ballagh winning Co Championships or batin the lard outa any of the other Roscommon Clubs in them days.
I think it was some "Galballyman" equivalent saying "We're not going along with any Dilton inspired English Act" and so the good people of Ballagh have never been able to become fully enlightened.
So sad to see in that Prime Time programme tonight the flags of backwardness still dragging some of them down.

Mind you it's  great to see the great Roscommon generosity of spirit etc on display. That shows they are true Ros people despite that oul throwback to the dark ages.
<sigh>
Ross, me oul' buddy, we've been through all this before.
This craic keeps going on and on like a needle stuck in an oul' record. (I know Syferus doesn't read anything anybody else writes; don't think he even reads his own shite posts either but I thought you had a biteen of sense.)
We had (at least) one sensible Rossie poster on this board a few years ago, Turlough O'Carolan. I genuinely wanted to know why the Ballaghadereen club still played in Mayo, well over 110 years since the boundary changes. So Turlough obliged and was able to give me the basic details.
I then came across an account of the Ballagh controversy in a book called "Mayo: Its History and Heritage" by a buck calling himself Nollaig Ó Muirthile. (As plain Noel Morley, we shared a seat in Nathy's once upon a time.)
His account tallied with Turlough's but it costs €80 if you want to check it out for yerself and it doesn't go into fine detail. Anyway, seems the Ballagh folks we told to eff off after a few months and didn't get to play any competitive games.
BTW, the paragraph I bolded makes no sense whatsoever. Are you sure you ain't Syferus under yet another alias? ;D
It's got his stamp alright.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Maroon Manc

Why didn't the Roscommon people in Ballaghaderreen set up their own club?

magpie seanie

Quote from: Maroon Manc on January 13, 2017, 10:56:24 AM

They tried and were blocked by the Prentyburo Connacht Council. Galway and Leitrim siding with Mayo I believe.

Rossfan

Quote from: magpie seanie on January 13, 2017, 10:59:14 AM

They tried and were blocked by the Prentyburo Connacht Council. Galway and Leitrim siding with Mayo I believe.
St John's  :'(
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

weareros

Quote from: Rossfan on January 13, 2017, 11:14:26 AM
Quote from: magpie seanie on January 13, 2017, 10:59:14 AM

St John's  :'(

Yes that's what gets deliberately ignored. Ballagh Ros folks have not tried to move existing club but setup their own. A John O'Mahoney managed Leitrim at the time joined Mayo and Galway in blocking it at Connacht council level. Sligo fair play did the decent thing. A women's team affiliated with Roscommon were also locked out from the old sports grounds. Fairly tense days in Ballaghaderreen. Also such nonsense about the British moving it when it was John Dillon to take advantage of lower water rates, whose son James later went on to lead Fine Gael, who ironically continued with the Ballaghaderreen, County Mayo address.

Maroon Manc

So it them over 70 years to try and start their own club? They were a long time thinking about it.

weareros

Quote from: Maroon Manc on January 13, 2017, 11:59:18 AM
So it them over 70 years to try and start their own club? They were a long time thinking about it.
Small town. Second club was never best solution due to lack of resources and population, and St Johns was only due to start with underage teams. Preferred option would be to allow Roscommon supporters declare for Ros. Anyway done to death around here.

giveballaghback

Good man lar, your right about syf, he exists in a dimension of his own, it was 1980 when the rossies tried to set up that club long before Johnos reign in the larries county. Looking forward to the season and the crack and of course the banter and counter attacks, just keep it in mind its just a bit of fun lads. Best of luck to all for the coming season and I hope there is no serious injuries to any of the players.