Military Displays at Croke Park

Started by gallsman, July 28, 2018, 10:20:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gallsman

Not sure whether I should have put this in the GAA or Hurling section.

Anyone any thoughts on the Defence Forces/UN service tributes that were on display at Headquarters today?

Personally found it disgraceful myself. As bad as anything at the Superbowl etc.

sid waddell

Quote from: gallsman on July 28, 2018, 10:20:21 PM
Not sure whether I should have put this in the GAA or Hurling section.

Anyone any thoughts on the Defence Forces/UN service tributes that were on display at Headquarters today?

Personally found it disgraceful myself. As bad as anything at the Superbowl etc.
I didn't see it, but I highly doubt it was as bad as the Superbowl - how could it be - at least the Irish Army don't actually go to fight wars, they go to keep peace, which we can at least be thankful for.

But quite clearly sporting events are not the place for military demonstrations or tributes of any sort.

The US fetishising of the military is downright weird, and sadly the Brits are getting in on the act too now.

That sort of stuff genuinely creeps me out - it's outright propaganda and manufacturing of consent for war and it influences public discourse towards unhealthy and creepy nationalism.

gallsman

Of course it was nowhere near as bad as the Superbowl or even a rugby match at Twickenham, that was hyperbole. No green, white and orange flyovers like

Don't think sporting venues are the place for that sort of thing and I'm very surprised the GAA have rowed in with it.

Syferus

I see no issue honouring a neutral army.

Rossfan

Not the place for it.
No offence to all those who participated and lost their lives over the years but more appropriate to have a State remembrance ceremony.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

BennyCake

Didn't see it. Not the right place for that sort of thing.

Same goes for the 1916 thing at Croke Park in 2016.

Rossfan

Agreed.
Bloody Sunday commemoration was appropriate as it happened in Croke Park.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Are we being softened up for Pesco, and is this just a preliminary step, and no better avenue of approach than via the GAA?
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

BennyCake

Quote from: Rossfan on July 29, 2018, 12:00:37 AM
Agreed.

Yes but the Easter Rising didn't.

Rossfan

Exactly.
That's why I (for once😀) agreed with ya 

BennyCake

An Fhairche Abu

I found this very uncomfortable today in Croke Park, I don't think this militaristic nonsense becomes the association. Not the time nor the place for it in my opinion.

Mayo4Sam14

Quote from: BennyCake on July 29, 2018, 12:37:55 AM
Quote from: Rossfan on July 29, 2018, 12:00:37 AM
Agreed.

Yes but the Easter Rising didn't.

I think giving the links between the GAA, the Gaelic League, the rising and everything that was going on in the era I think it was a justified commemoration
You can forget about Sean Cavanagh as far as he's a man!

Owenmoresider

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on July 29, 2018, 12:24:57 AM
Are we being softened up for Pesco, and is this just a preliminary step, and no better avenue of approach than via the GAA?
That'd be my thinking too. And with Varadkar only too happy to please his EU masters it sadly looks like our army will become pawns in their game.

rrhf

Interesting, probably many southern folk would never really have seen army and military formations in their lifetime. In the North we just got on with life, but it was there everyday. You get used to it lads, but understand how uncomfortable it must feel.