Tommy Walsh Retires

Started by gallsman, November 20, 2014, 10:48:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gallsman

One of the very, very best. A lot of miles on the clock for the age of him but if the AI replay is anything to go by, Pádraig is more than capable of continuing the family legacy.

theticklemister

best hurler I have ever seen in my lifetime.

So many all-stars in so many positions.

wile young to be retiring, but that's the way it is going these days.

orangeman

What can you say about him that hasn't been said before.

When KK were winning handy, Tommy Walsh was leading.
When KK needed someone to dig them out or take the game by the scruff, Tommy was the leader.

His ability to catch standing behind a forward half a foot taller than him and come out with it was the quality that most of us will remember him for. Fearless.He broke a lot of hurls and a lot of hearts and won a lot of admirers along the way to a glittering career. I'd loved to have seen him take even a small part in KK's win this year but Cody doesn't do sentiment.

aontroim abu

Quote from: orangeman on November 20, 2014, 11:14:52 AM

When KK needed someone to dig them out or take the game by the scruff, Tommy was the leader.

His ability to catch standing behind a forward half a foot taller than him and come out with it was the quality that most of us will remember him for. Fearless.He broke a lot of hurls and a lot of hearts and won a lot of admirers along the way to a glittering career. I'd loved to have seen him take even a small part in KK's win this year but Cody doesn't do sentiment.

+1

now can he please take Lar Corbett out of his pocket

theticklemister

yeah he was the same size as me lad, but by God he could catch a sliothar. This and his never say die attitude and sublime utility made him the outstanding player of his time. End of an era hi. What age was he 30/31?

waterfordlad

Fantastic player. The Kilkenny fans loved him especially when he made a catch often over a taller player. I suppose when he didn't feature much last year he might have felt it was the right time to go.

Premier Emperor

His ability to catch standing behind a forward half a foot taller than him and come out with it
Yes, amazing.
How did he manage it I wonder?

gallsman

Delighted he's leaving on a high after some high profile casualties of the Cody era left in less dignified circumstances.

If the GAA re-did their Millennium (or greatest ever) team, would he displace Whelahan? I'd have to say yes. An absolute privilege to watch over the last 13 years. You could literally throw him in at any position and he'd be one of the best players on the pitch.

Premier Emperor

Quote from: theticklemister on November 20, 2014, 10:54:28 AM
Lets not go overboard. A great man to win ball, yes. His deliveries were atrocious.

AZOffaly

Quote from: Premier Emperor on November 20, 2014, 11:21:57 AM
His ability to catch standing behind a forward half a foot taller than him and come out with it
Yes, amazing.
How did he manage it I wonder?

A great hurler, but this is my bugbear. He fouled nearly every single f*cking time. That old trick with the butt of the hurley pushing the helmet over the eyes was sly as hell :D

Great player though, fantastic leader for the Cats, best of luck to him in his retirement.

seafoid

Quote from: theticklemister on November 20, 2014, 11:18:08 AM

yeah he was the same size as me lad, but by God he could catch a sliothar. This and his never say die attitude and sublime utility made him the outstanding player of his time. End of an era hi. What age was he 30/31?
Le cúnamh Dé

Very efficient with the dirt, like all the cats. They play the defence game so well of course but every little helps.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

gallsman

Quote from: seafoid on November 20, 2014, 11:38:31 AM
Quote from: theticklemister on November 20, 2014, 11:18:08 AM

Le cúnamh Dé

Very efficient with the dirt, like all the cats. They play the defence game so well of course but every little helps.

A cute hoor no doubt but I wouldn't call him dirty. Never pulled a stroke (the one in the league against Galway was probably his worst) on the scale of Dunne or Donnellan.

theskull1

To me he played with a pure wild abandonment who's tactics were simply to be where the ball was going to be and there was never a thought of being second best when the contest was there to be won. He was as close to the complete hurler that there's been IMO.
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

johnneycool

Quote from: Premier Emperor on November 20, 2014, 11:23:21 AM
Lets not go overboard. A great man to win ball, yes. His deliveries were atrocious.

Don't forget, he was putting the ball into the Kilkenny forwards who to a man can win their own ball, not the Tipp lads who need it on a silver platter.

Fantastic lad for getting the KK crowd going when the game was in the mix, and his catching was sublime even if he did indulge in the dark arts from time to time he took his medicine when it was dished out as well.

You'd have him in your team any day of the week.

AZOffaly

Quote from: johnneycool on November 20, 2014, 01:47:07 PM
Quote from: Premier Emperor on November 20, 2014, 11:23:21 AM

Don't forget, he was putting the ball into the Kilkenny forwards who to a man can win their own ball, not the Tipp lads who need it on a silver platter.

Fantastic lad for getting the KK crowd going when the game was in the mix, and his catching was sublime even if he did indulge in the dark arts from time to time he took his medicine when it was dished out as well.

You'd have him in your team any day of the week.

Absolutely. Brian Whelehan was, to me, the purest half back I've seen in terms of his ability, his skill and the way he glided to the ball, but Tommy Walsh was a more forceful lad, and was much more physical presence and probably more of an inspirational sort of fella.