Started by gallsman, November 20, 2014, 10:48:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Premier Emperor

Is he Tommy Welsh or Tommy Walsh?

seafoid

Quote from: Premier Emperor on November 25, 2014, 11:16:42 AM
Is he Tommy Welsh or Tommy Walsh?
Breathnach is the Irish so Welsh would be more accurate but it depends on how
the name is pronounced in whatever the county is. Matties would say Welsh.

gallsman

Brian Hogan and Taggy Fogarty followed Walsh into retirement today.

pullhard

The goalie is gone too. I'd imagine the king will hang up the county boots too, if he wins on ST Patricks day.

JJ and Jackie at 32 hopefully have another season or two in the legs.

The talent in the wings is fierce though!

imtommygunn

What age is fogarty? Wouldn't have thought he was that old?

Hogan a loss. When a few more of these boys go it might level the playing field a bit.

theticklemister

Fogarty is 32 just. I only remember one great game he played in final. Never stood out really but tried as hard f**k when on the field of play

imtommygunn

Apart from that one final always a fringe player. Didn't think he was that age. Would take it's toll i guess especially if on the bench.

fearsiuil

Taggy won 8 All Irelands and no All Stars. Amazeballs!

gallsman

Was the 2006 finals. Never really locked down his place, but now and again just went on the absolute tear in big games.

fearsiuil

Jackie Tyrrell according to lads on Off The Ball had Taggy as his most difficult opponent in the internal games. Some praise when you consider the other options.

johnneycool

Quote from: fearsiuil on November 27, 2014, 01:29:19 AM
Taggy won 8 All Irelands and no All Stars. Amazeballs!

As said he never really hammered down a starting place for any great duration and was more often than not sprung from the bench when threw in against tired defences. His cack handedness would have worked against him even with his lightening pace.

Big Hogan may be a bigger loss, but as already seen this year Joyce can readily step in, so strength in depth is there in Kilkenny as Cody always gives the wannabes a good run out in the leagues.

orangeman

Quote from: gallsman on November 26, 2014, 03:53:19 PM
Brian Hogan and Taggy Fogarty followed Walsh into retirement today.

3 big losses to any panel and the changing room.

fearsiuil

Cody on Tommy Timber

"Tommy Walsh epitomises hurling" - Cody

Brian Cody has paid a glowing tribute to his recently-retired gladiator Tommy Walsh.

Under Cody's watch, Walsh helped himself to nine All-Irelands, nine successive All Stars, nine Leinster championships and seven national hurling league crowns.

"Tommy Walsh epitomises hurling. I always felt that," Cody states in The Kilkenny People. "He is what hurling is meant to be, especially Kilkenny hurling and the way you would want the game to be.

"He was outstanding. He had everything and he produced it every day he went out. He adorned the jersey completely.

"There is just so much about him. He was completely modest and utterly confident on the field and completely composed on the ball.

"His ability to win ball in the sky was amazing, phenomenal. As a leader he was unsurpassed.
http://www.hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=228289

Premier Emperor

Quote from: fearsiuil on November 27, 2014, 03:31:08 PM
Cody on Tommy Timber
"Tommy Walsh epitomises dirty hurling. I always felt that," Cody states in The Kilkenny People. "He is what dirty hurling is meant to be, especially dirty Kilkenny hurling and the way you would want the game to be.
I fixed up that quote for you.

gallsman

Quote from: Premier Emperor on December 03, 2014, 02:51:55 PM
Quote from: fearsiuil on November 27, 2014, 03:31:08 PM
Cody on Tommy Timber
"Tommy Walsh epitomises dirty hurling. I always felt that," Cody states in The Kilkenny People. "He is what dirty hurling is meant to be, especially dirty Kilkenny hurling and the way you would want the game to be.
I fixed up that quote for you.

Still having a wee whinge and moan? The likes of Dunne and Paudie Maher are much dirtier hurlers then Walsh ever was.