Running

Started by ONeill, June 09, 2009, 09:11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

laoislad

I see Sean Hehir ran a 2:16 in London today.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: mrdeeds on April 23, 2017, 12:00:11 PM
The pace they're doing is sick. I struggled yesterday to a 3hr 45.

Great time for your first. I'd be happy for 3.59.59  :)
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

imtommygunn

Quote from: laoislad on April 23, 2017, 01:09:34 PM

Qualifying time for the worlds i think?

Well done mrdeeds.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: imtommygunn on April 23, 2017, 04:19:32 PM
Quote from: laoislad on April 23, 2017, 01:09:34 PM

Qualifying time for the worlds i think?

Well done mrdeeds.
Yer man Scullion ran 2:17:59 - a minute outside the World's qualifying time.

imtommygunn

He had a facebook page something like from fat to fit - poor guy let himself go from being a sub 30 10ker  :o Seaward ran low 2:17s too - he's from antrim road.

Not sure how mick clohissey finished - think 2:17s too.

TheOptimist

Contemplating signing up for Dublin. Done Belfast 7 odd years ago but didn't really train right for it and always said id do another. I'm fitter and slimmer now than have been in a long time and in between having young babies (all going well) so might take the opportunity. Can do a 5k in under 22 pretty easy so I'm thinking use the next two months to do a 45 min 10k then do 16 weeks aiming fro 3hr30. Just don't know if I could be arsed though. Ha

Anybody else committed yet?

ballinaman

Quote from: TheOptimist on April 25, 2017, 01:46:43 PM
Contemplating signing up for Dublin. Done Belfast 7 odd years ago but didn't really train right for it and always said id do another. I'm fitter and slimmer now than have been in a long time and in between having young babies (all going well) so might take the opportunity. Can do a 5k in under 22 pretty easy so I'm thinking use the next two months to do a 45 min 10k then do 16 weeks aiming fro 3hr30. Just don't know if I could be arsed though. Ha

Yes. Will go for a PB and gladly retire from marathons then.....maybe  ::)

Chase

Quote from: TheOptimist on April 25, 2017, 01:46:43 PM

Seriously considering Dublin again myself. Last did it in 2014 and I still have nightmares from it. I suffered badly in the crazy heat that day as did many others! Was delighted just to finish it in the end as a few of my mates didn't.
Have done Waterford and Cork Marathons since but I would like to do Dublin again.
Will be hoping for 3:20 sort of time.
Chase is on the case!

No1

Signed up for Dublin this year after swearing blind after Amsterdam 2015 (my one and only) that I'd never do another!! No idea what time to target yet, plenty of time till the training starts though.

Small matter of a sprint triathlon at the end of June to get out of the way first and considering I can barely swim 50m in a pool I think I may have bitten off more than I can chew!!  :o

Milltown Row2

Quote from: No1 on April 25, 2017, 09:39:36 PM
Signed up for Dublin this year after swearing blind after Amsterdam 2015 (my one and only) that I'd never do another!! No idea what time to target yet, plenty of time till the training starts though.

Small matter of a sprint triathlon at the end of June to get out of the way first and considering I can barely swim 50m in a pool I think I may have bitten off more than I can chew!!  :o

How was Amsterdam ? Doing it this year so any tips other than don't will be welcomed!

As for your swim you'll be grand, just get in the pool and do a length at a time for your training 30 lengths for the sprint so build your training to work on ten lengths break for a minute then another ten break for two and finish off! You'll love the craic of the tris
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

No1

I thought Amsterdam was brilliant but bear in mind I don't have anything to compare it to!!

Superbly organised, the expo and pack collection was stress free and dead easy to find. Public transport in the city is second to none so getting to and from the start and finish was dead easy. Starting and finishing in the old Olympic Stadium was a fantastic experience.

The course itself was dead flat as you would expect with some great buildings, parks and canals to run past, over and through!! Few really funny sights along a particularly long stretch of one of the canals. Support along the route was non existent in parts and absolutely fantastic in others. Getting the gear bag collected afterwards was very simple and again stress free which I really appreciated given the state my legs were in!!

For me the race itself was grand up until mile 22 when it decided to absolutely kick the shite out of me, I was on for sub 3:30 until that point but I ended up with 3:31 odds. Last 4 mile I will never ever forget! Looking back I think I didn't have enough water on board at that stage. 

As for the apres race, I am telling you f**k all!!

Stick to your training plan and you will be grand.

Ballinaman did the same race in a proper time so he might be able to add a bit more for you!

ballinaman

Quote from: No1 on April 25, 2017, 10:31:20 PM
I thought Amsterdam was brilliant but bear in mind I don't have anything to compare it to!!

Superbly organised, the expo and pack collection was stress free and dead easy to find. Public transport in the city is second to none so getting to and from the start and finish was dead easy. Starting and finishing in the old Olympic Stadium was a fantastic experience.

The course itself was dead flat as you would expect with some great buildings, parks and canals to run past, over and through!! Few really funny sights along a particularly long stretch of one of the canals. Support along the route was non existent in parts and absolutely fantastic in others. Getting the gear bag collected afterwards was very simple and again stress free which I really appreciated given the state my legs were in!!

For me the race itself was grand up until mile 22 when it decided to absolutely kick the shite out of me, I was on for sub 3:30 until that point but I ended up with 3:31 odds. Last 4 mile I will never ever forget! Looking back I think I didn't have enough water on board at that stage. 

As for the apres race, I am telling you f**k all!!

Stick to your training plan and you will be grand.

Ballinaman did the same race in a proper time so he might be able to add a bit more for you!
3.31 was a ridiculously good debut marathon No1.
Agree with all of the above, really enjoyed Amsterdam.
Liked the part along the canal....didn't mind the quiet support then, handy to keep focused!
Looking back I should have taken the electrolyte/carbohydrate drink when it was on offer during the race...only took the water, extra carbs/sugar would have helped.

I've still clear memories of desperately wanting to get into the vondelpark, About 5km from home, kept saying "where's the vondelpark?where's the vondelpark?" over and over again in my head. Got home in 2.46 thankfully.

SHEEDY

Brillant weather brought out a big crowd today for the belfast marathon. Got new pb of 3hrs 8 mins so have to be happy with that. Time for a few beers.

Well done laura graham, fantastic achievement.
nil satis nisi optimum

Milltown Row2

Quote from: SHEEDY on May 01, 2017, 06:03:33 PM
Brillant weather brought out a big crowd today for the belfast marathon. Got new pb of 3hrs 8 mins so have to be happy with that. Time for a few beers.

Well done, was at finishing line and as you said great crowds ... great time

mrdeeds

Quote from: SHEEDY on May 01, 2017, 06:03:33 PM

That's serious running. Well done.