Running

Started by ONeill, June 09, 2009, 09:11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

imtommygunn

Are you not exceeding your dosage on those things?? Are they not 2 per 4 hours?

http://www.coachmag.co.uk/exercises/marathon-training/4467/should-you-take-painkillers-during-an-endurance-race

Read articles like that. I'm not sure it's a great idea... Also I'm not sure what you mean in your comparison with gels...

Milltown Row2

Quote from: imtommygunn on October 18, 2016, 09:54:12 AM
Are you not exceeding your dosage on those things?? Are they not 2 per 4 hours?

http://www.coachmag.co.uk/exercises/marathon-training/4467/should-you-take-painkillers-during-an-endurance-race

Read articles like that. I'm not sure it's a great idea... Also I'm not sure what you mean in your comparison with gels...

Well most novice or first timers will be in the 4 hour mark anyways so taking one 30 minutes before and 2 hours later will be within that timeframe. Again i thought it strange but if you have a niggle which requires 'assistance' then taking a pain killer wont be that bad!

if you are the type that pain killers do make you have stomach cramps then obviously sdont bother!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

laoislad

Quote from: An Gaeilgoir on October 17, 2016, 09:00:04 PM
I am hoping to do that time in 2 weeks time and i am 40 years younger than him! Here's a question, i did my last 20 miler yesterday, i had a slight niggle and took a couple of Nurofen at the start and two more at the 10 mile mark, i knocked 12 minutes off my best time for the 20 miles, i am wondering does anyone use any pain killers or anything else during races? Morally, is there much of a difference in taking a few Nurofen or gels? I will be putting a couple of them in my belt.....
You hoping for sub 4?
That was my original goal at the start of the year but it won't be happening this year anyway.
Training has been a bit of a mess for me between flus and knee injuries and not getting a lot of runs in because of work.
I actually stopped following the plan about 7 weeks ago and am just getting out for a run whenever I can. Furthest I've done for a lsr is 19miles and that was only once. Have done a few 18 miles and a couple of 15-16 miles.
If I get under 4:30 I'll be happy.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

SHEEDY

is there many on here doing the dublin marathon on sunday? this will be my 4th marathon but 1st time for dublin. any advice or things to look out for at the start or on the the course itself?
nil satis nisi optimum

laoislad

Quote from: SHEEDY on October 25, 2016, 06:09:24 PM
is there many on here doing the dublin marathon on sunday? this will be my 4th marathon but 1st time for dublin. any advice or things to look out for about the start or on the the course itself?
I'm doing it.
First half is tougher than the second half. Long drag up through the Phoenix Park. There is a tough hill around 23miles also.
Great atmosphere along the course.
What time you hoping for.

SHEEDY

Quote from: laoislad on October 25, 2016, 06:11:42 PM
is there many on here doing the dublin marathon on sunday? this will be my 4th marathon but 1st time for dublin. any advice or things to look out for about the start or on the the course itself?
I'm doing it.
First half is tougher than the second half. Long drag up through the Phoenix Park. There is a tough hill around 23miles also.
Great atmosphere along the course.
What time you hoping for.

PB is 3hrs 19mins, so if i can get in somewhere around that time i'll be more than happy.
nil satis nisi optimum

ballinaman

Good luck lads!Embrace the pain...

heffo

is there many on here doing the dublin marathon on sunday? this will be my 4th marathon but 1st time for dublin. any advice or things to look out for at the start or on the the course itself?

Am doing it, looking forward to getting it out of the way now - have done a 16 week plan and am sick of running.

Have to jump on a plane a couple of hours afterwards to take two flights which I'm not looking forward to.

laoislad

Quote from: heffo on October 26, 2016, 03:22:44 PM

Am doing it, looking forward to getting it out of the way now - have done a 16 week plan and am sick of running.

Have to jump on a plane a couple of hours afterwards to take two flights which I'm not looking forward to.
I feel the same. It's become a real chore at the moment. Training hasn't gone the best but the last month or so I dread having to go out and do a long run. Running shouldn't be like that.
Hopefully once this is over and I'm still alive after it I can get back into just running for the sake of it and not worrying if I did enough miles in a week.

heffo

Quote from: laoislad on October 26, 2016, 06:37:52 PM

I feel the same. It's become a real chore at the moment. Training hasn't gone the best but the last month or so I dread having to go out and do a long run. Running shouldn't be like that.
Hopefully once this is over and I'm still alive after it I can get back into just running for the sake of it and not worrying if I did enough miles in a week.

Amen to that

SHEEDY

Quote from: heffo on October 26, 2016, 07:33:09 PM
Quote from: laoislad on October 26, 2016, 06:37:52 PM

Amen to that
worrying if i did enough miles in a week
                            if i did too many miles last week
                            am i eating right
                            am i getting enough rest
                            am I getting a cold
                            is that niggle going to bother me
                            am I going to finish before fat ..... from work
                            and loads more....
nil satis nisi optimum

king of leon

Longest run I've done is 19 miles. Did it in 2.40, kind of scared what the next 7 miles will hold.

Hopefully the crowd will help me through the last 7!!

Milltown Row2

Weather looks to be around 14 degrees and not too windy so things looking good for good times!

Friend doing it. She's looking 3.45 for her first!!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

moysider

Not ideal. Friend of mine ended up in hospital with lung clot that was put down to a combination of long distance running/ dehydration and long haul flights.

I'm doin Dublin as well. 5 in a row. Followed a programme for once. About 40 from club followed the same programme and the group sessions were really enjoyable. Felt jaded in tonight's session (even though it was light). That's kinda normal though. I remember last year walking and feeling like shite in last 10 miler a week before the race and ended up with a 10 min. pb on the day. It's normal to feel lousy in the taper.

An Gaeilgoir

Doing it as well, last 2 miler last night...really felt dead in the legs...Roll on Sunday afternoon, a supersize Supermacs and a heap of Pints after.....