Running

Started by ONeill, June 09, 2009, 09:11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

manfromdelmonte

"pushing for show, pulling for go"

for every pushing exercise, you should have two pulling exercises, such as...

pull ups, lateral body rows etc for upper body
deadlifts, cleans for lower body

why would you low weight with high reps work for running?

If I were you, and I've been in your position in the past, I would go and book a session with a qualified S&C coach, get a simple weights programme put together, using the weights available for your running

manfromdelmonte

Quote from: laoislad on September 16, 2016, 11:14:57 PM
Probably a stupid question but how low is a low weight ? I put 25kg on the barbell tonight and did some bench presses but didn't think it was all that heavy and had no problem doing the reps.
Then again maybe I wasn't doing them right.
So would doing them a bit heavier but less reps be better or would I still get benefit from doing more reps at the 25kg even though I didn't feel like I was getting anything from it as in I wasn't sore or tired after it.
DOMs usually kick in the day after (delayed onset of muscle soreness). On a proper weights program you are basically ripping the muscle fibres apart due to stress and they heal stronger/larger etc

there's a lot of stuff on the net about weights programmes for runners and their benefits.
I maintain that a good mobilitiy programme is far more beneficial to runners and will keep you injury free in the long term

laoislad

Quote from: manfromdelmonte on September 16, 2016, 11:20:27 PM
"pushing for show, pulling for go"

for every pushing exercise, you should have two pulling exercises, such as...

pull ups, lateral body rows etc for upper body
deadlifts, cleans for lower body

why would you low weight with high reps work for running?

If I were you, and I've been in your position in the past, I would go and book a session with a qualified S&C coach, get a simple weights programme put together, using the weights available for your running
I'm not doing anything for show! I have the weights set up in my shed. No one is going to be looking at me pushing!

Thanks for the advice. As said I'm a total novice at this so all advice appreciated.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Milltown Row2

Anything that builds strength around the joints will help with running I believe. Squats and  lunges ... Getting technique first is important the move up through the weights... 8 reps four sets be plenty for squats and same again for lunges on each leg!!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

laoislad

Anyone else doing the Dublin Half tomorrow? Weather is suppose to be cat malogen.

laoislad

Quote from: laoislad on September 23, 2016, 12:54:47 PM
Anyone else doing the Dublin Half tomorrow? Weather is suppose to be cat malogen.
And cat malogen it was....

heffo

Quote from: laoislad on September 24, 2016, 02:26:01 PM

Was supposed to do it but stayed in bed with the flu, glad I gave it a miss

laoislad

Quote from: heffo on September 24, 2016, 03:42:53 PM

I have a dose of a chest cold myself but went anyway. Done shite!
Enjoyed it though. The course is a lot tougher than last year imo.

muppet

Jaysus I hope you are alright for next Saturday!
MWWSI 2017

heffo

Quote from: muppet on September 24, 2016, 08:37:06 PM

Jaysus I hope you are alright for next Saturday!

Flu should be gone not sure if the heart can handle the Mayo intensity though!

An Gaeilgoir

I am hoping to do that time in 2 weeks time and i am 40 years younger than him! Here's a question, i did my last 20 miler yesterday, i had a slight niggle and took a couple of Nurofen at the start and two more at the 10 mile mark, i knocked 12 minutes off my best time for the 20 miles, i am wondering does anyone use any pain killers or anything else during races? Morally, is there much of a difference in taking a few Nurofen or gels? I will be putting a couple of them in my belt.....

heffo

Quote from: An Gaeilgoir on October 17, 2016, 09:00:04 PM
I am hoping to do that time in 2 weeks time and i am 40 years younger than him! Here's a question, i did my last 20 miler yesterday, i had a slight niggle and took a couple of Nurofen at the start and two more at the 10 mile mark, i knocked 12 minutes off my best time for the 20 miles, i am wondering does anyone use any pain killers or anything else during races? Morally, is there much of a difference in taking a few Nurofen or gels? I will be putting a couple of them in my belt.....

You've come to the right place, I just hope Paul Kimmage isn't reading

Milltown Row2

Girl that goes to gym with me is doing that. Slight niggle in her calf but the physio has said she's fine to race but take a couple of pain killers during the race, which I found strange at first but made plenty sense!! For the first timers and novice runners it's not like you are going to compete with the winners!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea