Running

Started by ONeill, June 09, 2009, 09:11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

imtommygunn

I wear brooks now but had asics for years.if one works for you stick with them.

I switched from asics as i started getting ankle grief. The brooks ones i have no such bother with.

laoislad

Quote from: magpie seanie on September 01, 2016, 09:29:25 AM
I was awful close to switching to a lovely pair of Brooks when I purchased recently. They felt really nice but the Asics were so comfortable. Think it was a case of "there's no bad decision here" but I'd be tempted to try Brooks in future.
Seanie I'm staying just outside Sligo Town for work tonight. I was going to go for a run tonight but work went late. I will probably go in the morning instead. Is there anywhere good to run? I was thinking out to Rosses Point and back maybe?
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

moysider

Quote from: JimStynes on August 31, 2016, 08:53:39 PM
Need new trainers lads. Not doing serious running but 3 and 6mile runs couple times of week. Any recommendations? Have asics cumulus but they're wrecked.

Hard to know. You probably should go and get assessed for your running style. I come across runners that are normal runners but end up with shoes that are designed for runners that have pronation but get a pair of runners on sale and go with them. What you get used to then you get used to. A bit like getting used to driving a shite car.

I prefer a light a shoe as possible. A bit of stability but not a fan of support. If you don't need that support why carry that extra weight. It all adds up if you are doing a lot of miles.

A shoe that doesn t suit you can cause problems. However shoes are often blamed when the problem is elsewhere. Weight is a factor of course. A lot of leg niggles come from lower back and pelvic issues as well and not from footwear.

I have a few different runners on the go depending on what I am doing. For longer stuff I'm using Nike Pegasus 32. Looking at the new Pegasus but might go with something else. I just go normal, light enough with a bit of stability. If I was doing a 5k/10K race I use the Brooks Pureconnect in recent years. Not a shoe to train in though. Just wear them in an event.

magpie seanie

Quote from: laoislad on September 01, 2016, 08:10:39 PM
I was awful close to switching to a lovely pair of Brooks when I purchased recently. They felt really nice but the Asics were so comfortable. Think it was a case of "there's no bad decision here" but I'd be tempted to try Brooks in future.
Seanie I'm staying just outside Sligo Town for work tonight. I was going to go for a run tonight but work went late. I will probably go in the morning instead. Is there anywhere good to run? I was thinking out to Rosses Point and back maybe?

Sorry - only seeing this now. I'm probably too late. Depended on where you were staying and how far you wanted to go but the Rosses Point road, while busy, wouldn't be too bad as it has a good hard shoulder all the way. Union Wood would be one to check out the next time you're here, has some testing hills and no worries about traffic. About a 7/8k lap.

If you're about again let me know and I'll give you better help.

TheOptimist

Quote from: TheOptimist on July 21, 2016, 09:39:01 AM
Signed up for waterside half marathon on Sep 4th. Hoping for under 2 hours.

Don't have the time to do 5 day a week training plans though so I limited to 2 runs a week at most. May try to squeeze in early swims some mornings. Run just under ten mile last week in about 1:25 so happy enough with where I'm at. It was actually the furthest I'd run since doing a marathon 5/6 odd years ago.

Any tips on getting the most our of limited training?

Well cheers for all the advice lads  ::)

Runs on Sunday and think i'm all set. Been doing a long run, a fast short run and a swim every week so hoping for a decent-ish time on Sunday. Stomach is a bit gippy but should be ok hopefully.

laoislad

Quote from: magpie seanie on September 02, 2016, 11:50:37 AM
Quote from: laoislad on September 01, 2016, 08:10:39 PM

Sorry - only seeing this now. I'm probably too late. Depended on where you were staying and how far you wanted to go but the Rosses Point road, while busy, wouldn't be too bad as it has a good hard shoulder all the way. Union Wood would be one to check out the next time you're here, has some testing hills and no worries about traffic. About a 7/8k lap.

If you're about again let me know and I'll give you better help.
No bother. I was staying in the Radisson Blu. Sure I ended up having a few pints last night and wasn't too fussed about running this morning so didn't end up going anywhere in the end.

CD

In Radison Blu myself in a couple of weeks - need to do 18 on Sunday morning. I'll check out that route through Union Wood. Is that anywhere near where the Parkrun is?
Who's a bit of a moaning Michael tonight!

magpie seanie

It's not near the parkrun. It's a bit outside the town the opposite side of where you will be but it's a tough run with the hills. Definitely bank for your buck.

there's a 10 mile race on September 24th if that's when you're about that goes from Strandhill to Rosses Point. http://www.runireland.com/events/sligo-coast-coast-2016-10mile-and-5km Pretty flat course but if the weather's not great could be windy as near the coast you're pretty exposed.

No1

I'm doing the Great North Run on Sunday for Marie Curie. Training has gone OK, anyone on here raced it? If so, any tips for pre and post race?

oakleaflad

Quote from: TheOptimist on September 02, 2016, 12:55:54 PM

Don't have the time to do 5 day a week training plans though so I limited to 2 runs a week at most. May try to squeeze in early swims some mornings. Run just under ten mile last week in about 1:25 so happy enough with where I'm at. It was actually the furthest I'd run since doing a marathon 5/6 odd years ago.

Runs on Sunday and think i'm all set. Been doing a long run, a fast short run and a swim every week so hoping for a decent-ish time on Sunday. Stomach is a bit gippy but should be ok hopefully.
How did it go?

TheOptimist

Quote from: oakleaflad on September 07, 2016, 10:56:06 PM
Quote from: TheOptimist on September 02, 2016, 12:55:54 PM

How did it go?

Went ok thanks. Made the rookie mistake of going out too fast. I knew I could do 1:55 comfortably so decided to push myself for 1:50 , went well for 7miles which I got to in 60mins (which included the Foyle bridge) but I died after that. In the end it was a matter of keeping going as opposed to any time. Ended up with 1:57 which is a good marker to beat next time.

All in all really enjoyed it and has given me a thirst for more. Made a few quid for charity too which was nice.

laoislad

I bought a weight bench and a few weights there during the week. Nothing fancy just a bench a barbell and dumbbells and 50kg of weights.
I've no interest in bulking up like a body builder but would like to tone up a bit and add a bit of muscle. I'm also interested in what I can use them for as regards helping my running.
I've been reading plenty of websites but a lot of it doesn't make much sense to me. Most of it seems to be geared towards people who want to really bulk up.
Does anyone do weights and what advice could you give for a complete beginner. A lot of the training programs have you doing weights everyday. Again I'm not interested in that. It's more something to compliment my running I want (and tone up a bit) rather than takeover from it.
Now I'm only 6 weeks or so away from the Dublin marathon so I presume it wouldn't be a good idea to start doing weights just yet ?

manfromdelmonte

Quote from: laoislad on September 16, 2016, 10:13:34 AM
I bought a weight bench and a few weights there during the week. Nothing fancy just a bench a barbell and dumbbells and 50kg of weights.
I've no interest in bulking up like a body builder but would like to tone up a bit and add a bit of muscle. I'm also interested in what I can use them for as regards helping my running.
I've been reading plenty of websites but a lot of it doesn't make much sense to me. Most of it seems to be geared towards people who want to really bulk up.
Does anyone do weights and what advice could you give for a complete beginner. A lot of the training programs have you doing weights everyday. Again I'm not interested in that. It's more something to compliment my running I want (and tone up a bit) rather than takeover from it.
Now I'm only 6 weeks or so away from the Dublin marathon so I presume it wouldn't be a good idea to start doing weights just yet ?
single leg exercises....
lunges, forward and reverse
single leg deadlifts
split squats

nothing wrong with starting with light weights and building them up on a 3-4 week cycle then ease back
strength training will help your running. But mobility work this close to the event would be much better

bodyweight exercises will get you started

magpie seanie

Use light weights for your arms, chest and back. Remember to do complementary muscles, i.e. Biceps and triceps; chest/back etc. Wording might not be right but I'm sure you get the meaning. Low weight with a higher # of reps will give you what you want.

laoislad

Probably a stupid question but how low is a low weight ? I put 25kg on the barbell tonight and did some bench presses but didn't think it was all that heavy and had no problem doing the reps.
Then again maybe I wasn't doing them right.
So would doing them a bit heavier but less reps be better or would I still get benefit from doing more reps at the 25kg even though I didn't feel like I was getting anything from it as in I wasn't sore or tired after it.