Started by ONeill, June 09, 2009, 09:11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milltown Row2

Quote from: 93-DY-SAM on July 11, 2016, 09:52:07 PM
Quote from: redzone on July 11, 2016, 05:11:22 PM
Quote from: 93-DY-SAM on July 11, 2016, 04:26:02 PM
Quote from: redzone on July 10, 2016, 10:46:39 PM
Sounds like a over use injury. Google house maids knee

Thanks. Had a look at that. Symptoms not quiet what I have. But it led to to something called runners knee which sounds very like what I am experiencing.

Yip I knew that would lead u there or there abouts. I've had the patella injury and its a long time to heal, in fact it wouldn't until I got an injection. Rest it completely for a month or 2 or it could plague u for ever. Even now I'd still find something now and again.

The more I read into it the symptoms of that are ticking every box for me. Time I had a chat with a physio. Injuries are sh*te.

To cut down on those type injuries (for me anyways) is to build strength around those areas and proper stretching, not that 30 seconds shite ya did before a match, back in the day.... Been doing Pilates for about a year now, and a strength and balance class, has worked a treat
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

laoislad

Quote from: heffo on July 11, 2016, 03:35:59 PM
Quote from: An Gaeilgoir on July 11, 2016, 02:41:22 PM
Just wondering if many in here have signed up for the Dublin Marathon.

I'm doing it alright, you've loads of time - just follow a 16 week plan and you'll finish.
The 3 of us will have to meet after the finishline for a beer.
You two will be in an hour before me though... :D
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

heffo

Quote from: laoislad on July 12, 2016, 07:48:39 AM

I'm doing it alright, you've loads of time - just follow a 16 week plan and you'll finish.

That'd be good alright, finishing is all that matters whether you walk, jog or run!

93-DY-SAM

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on July 11, 2016, 11:37:36 PM

Thanks. Had a look at that. Symptoms not quiet what I have. But it led to to something called runners knee which sounds very like what I am experiencing.

Yip I knew that would lead u there or there abouts. I've had the patella injury and its a long time to heal, in fact it wouldn't until I got an injection. Rest it completely for a month or 2 or it could plague u for ever. Even now I'd still find something now and again.

The more I read into it the symptoms of that are ticking every box for me. Time I had a chat with a physio. Injuries are sh*te.

To cut down on those type injuries (for me anyways) is to build strength around those areas and proper stretching, not that 30 seconds shite ya did before a match, back in the day.... Been doing Pilates for about a year now, and a strength and balance class, has worked a treat

Yeah been at strength and conditioning sessions for few years now and wanted to get back into bit of running again. Always have good 5-10 mins of dynamic stretching and 5 min brisk walk before a run. Need to get on foam roller a lot more than I currently do to work on the hamstrings. They are v tight at the min and been reading that could be part of my problem.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: 93-DY-SAM on July 12, 2016, 10:02:11 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on July 11, 2016, 11:37:36 PM

Yeah been at strength and conditioning sessions for few years now and wanted to get back into bit of running again. Always have good 5-10 mins of dynamic stretching and 5 min brisk walk before a run. Need to get on foam roller a lot more than I currently do to work on the hamstrings. They are v tight at the min and been reading that could be part of my problem.

Nothing worse than tight hamstrings or short hamstrings.... If your still playing gas then twisting and turning hurts the joints too. Insure your trainers suit your needs too...
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

johnneycool

Quote from: imtommygunn on July 10, 2016, 06:42:31 PM
Quote from: No1 on July 10, 2016, 06:09:51 PM
Super run by Portaferry camog Ciara Mageean earlier today to pick up European bronze for the women's 1500m. Starting to gear up for Rio!

Great run and i think she can do a lot better too. Class athlete. Her and mark english are best we've got.

Was talking to her da last night, turns out she didn't want the slow pace as it kept too many in contention for too long and ended up getting bottled up a bit. I can't say I know a whole pile about the girl who came second, but Ciara seems to think she'd have gotten her if it had of been a quicker race.
Certainly doesn't seem to lack confidence and fair play to her.

imtommygunn

The girl who came 2nd is world class and I think has medalled in olympics /worlds before. I think some of the africans are too strong for her though.

The race was a mess and she got caught inside but i guess didn't expect that. Sure 4:33 was 2nd and the top few could run probably 4:06 or so. Real slow.

Yeah she doesn't seem to lack confidence but not in a bad way I think. hopefully more to come from her. I suspect olympic final a goal rather than a medal as that is probably a bit too much yet but maybe some day.

gallsman

Finally got around to running my first ever 5k today. 25.28 by my watch as we didn't realise the timing chip was supposed to be worn from the knee down and I had it on my watch strap.

Disappointed as my 5k target has always been sub 25 and I faded badly towards the end. Few longer runs to get some endurance and I'll have it!

laoislad

Good man fair play. You'll get it the next time.
It took me ages to get under 25mins, it was only when I started doing long slow runs for Marathon training that I eventually got under the 25min.

muppet

Quote from: gallsman on July 17, 2016, 11:18:32 AM
Finally got around to running my first ever 5k today. 25.28 by my watch as we didn't realise the timing chip was supposed to be worn from the knee down and I had it on my watch strap.

Disappointed as my 5k target has always been sub 25 and I faded badly towards the end. Few longer runs to get some endurance and I'll have it!

Well done Gallsman.
MWWSI 2017

An Gaeilgoir

Quote from: laoislad on July 12, 2016, 07:48:39 AM

Wouldn't be too sure about that....although the beer side of things would be grand....

gallsman

Went out for my usual hill run this morning, run I've done countless times at this stage. I was a bit sore and stiff from doing a heavy leg day in the gym on Monday but had run fine (a flat, gentle decline and back) on Tuesday. Today however, the humidity had really spiked and I'd never wanted to quit as much. It was agony and felt like I was going to burst at times. Is this normal with increased humidity? Managed to finish and recovered pretty quickly, but during the run itself I felt like absolute death.

TheOptimist

Signed up for waterside half marathon on Sep 4th. Hoping for under 2 hours.

Don't have the time to do 5 day a week training plans though so I limited to 2 runs a week at most. May try to squeeze in early swims some mornings. Run just under ten mile last week in about 1:25 so happy enough with where I'm at. It was actually the furthest I'd run since doing a marathon 5/6 odd years ago.

Any tips on getting the most our of limited training?

An Gaeilgoir

Quote from: gallsman on July 21, 2016, 09:14:52 AM
Went out for my usual hill run this morning, run I've done countless times at this stage. I was a bit sore and stiff from doing a heavy leg day in the gym on Monday but had run fine (a flat, gentle decline and back) on Tuesday. Today however, the humidity had really spiked and I'd never wanted to quit as much. It was agony and felt like I was going to burst at times. Is this normal with increased humidity? Managed to finish and recovered pretty quickly, but during the run itself I felt like absolute death.

We are just not used to it and like everything in life, some days you are up for it and more days not..I went for a 10k on Tuesday night, has to stop twice to get myself together...getting liquids on board is crucial in this weather.

laoislad

Quote from: gallsman on July 21, 2016, 09:14:52 AM
I find the heat a killer. I'm doing everything by heart rate at the moment and I went for a run Tuesday evening and could not keep my heart rate down. I actually had to walk some of it to keep it down to the zone I wanted to be in for that run.
A couple of days before that I was about 30secs per mile quicker for the same route at the same heart rate zone but it was no where near as humid that night.