Running

Started by ONeill, June 09, 2009, 09:11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

magpie seanie

As the world record holder I wish you well Muppet. 😀

imtommygunn

Quote from: laoislad on June 18, 2016, 08:47:47 AM
Quote from: imtommygunn on June 18, 2016, 08:43:44 AM
Pig ignorance is a must have quality for endurance runners!! Have thrown up loads of times at end of races trying to make sure someone else didn't beat me!
There was a guy in a Man United jersey that was beside or just in front of me most of the race in a 5 mile I did last weekend. There was no way I was letting him cross the line before me. I busted a gut in the last 100yards to get past him!! He probably didn't even know I was trying to beat him ffs ;D
;D i think we've all been there.

muppet

Pig ignorance is a must have quality for endurance runners!! Have thrown up loads of times at end of races trying to make sure someone else didn't beat me!
There was a guy in a Man United jersey that was beside or just in front of me most of the race in a 5 mile I did last weekend. There was no way I was letting him cross the line before me. I busted a gut in the last 100yards to get past him!! He probably didn't even know I was trying to beat him ffs ;D

He probably wondered why you were shouting 'I got ya Seanie ya bollix!' at him.
MWWSI 2017

laoislad

Quote from: muppet on June 18, 2016, 11:16:31 AM

:D
It was the 'Keane 16' on the back of the jersey that really made me want to beat him!

How did the Park Run go?
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

muppet

Quote from: laoislad on June 18, 2016, 11:25:47 AM
Quote from: muppet on June 18, 2016, 11:16:31 AM

:D
It was the 'Keane 16' on the back of the jersey that really made me want to beat him!

How did the Park Run go?

I thought I improved by nearly 5 minutes to just over 23 mins! I was absolutely delighted until I realised the stupid App was saying I ran 23.1km! The GPS must have screwed up.

Looks like I ran just over 26 mins which would be great, but after the above I am waiting for the proper time to be posted to be sure. Happy enough with the run though.

Edit: Just broke 26 so very happy.
MWWSI 2017

gallsman

Out with the girlfriend today and had mapped out a 7k run that was the longest we'd ever have done as taking advice here about running for further and longer with the speed following afterwards. Last night suggested why don't we really focus on our pace and try and do 10k or run for an hour or whatever.

Ended up doing the full 10 and it wasn't a bother to either of us. Was slow and controlled and I'm a long way from a 50 min 10k but couldn't believe that we found the distance and time so manageable. Could easily have done another three or four k's too.

Home for the weekend in a couple of weeks so will do a park run. My 25 min target for my first one is probably a little ambitious but f**k it, we'll see!

imtommygunn

If you are doing one in belfast the falls one is not good for time as there are big hills in it...

gallsman

Quote from: imtommygunn on June 19, 2016, 11:53:26 AM
If you are doing one in belfast the falls one is not good for time as there are big hills in it...

Shankill in Dublin.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: gallsman on June 19, 2016, 12:28:10 PM

Shankill in Dublin.

Long way from home  ;)
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

gallsman

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on June 19, 2016, 05:55:38 PM

Shankill in Dublin.

Long way from home  ;)

But an awful lot closer than I am now ;)

On that not, running through the summer over here in Spain is going to be pretty much in constant sunshine. Anybody got any recommendations for running sunglasses/caps/visors etc?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: gallsman on June 19, 2016, 06:23:48 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on June 19, 2016, 05:55:38 PM

Shankill in Dublin.

Long way from home  ;)

But an awful lot closer than I am now ;)

On that not, running through the summer over here in Spain is going to be pretty much in constant sunshine. Anybody got any recommendations for running sunglasses/caps/visors etc?

Get up first thing, when on holidays I get up at around 7.30 and blast out a six miler, every day, that's been Tenerife, American, mainland Spain, and France... Early run sorts you out for the day
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

gallsman

I'm running early, so it's not the heat I'm worried about, it's the actual glare from the sun.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: gallsman on June 19, 2016, 07:42:27 PM
I'm running early, so it's not the heat I'm worried about, it's the actual glare from the sun.

Oh, Cap (as I've no hair) is always a must and glasses are optional then, but if you're only running for 50 odd minutes depending on distance then it shouldn't be a problem to wear either hat or glasses..... Visor looks so 80's!!

bridgegael

What would you allow for the treadmill compare to on the ground running?  Did a 10k there on the tread and was not near usual time.
"2009 Gaaboard Cheltenham fantasy league winner"

laoislad

Quote from: bridgegael on July 03, 2016, 12:51:34 PM
What would you allow for the treadmill compare to on the ground running?  Did a 10k there on the tread and was not near usual time.
I bought a treadmill after Christmas when they were on sale in Elverys. Nothing fancy but its grand for when it's raining.
I did notice it was taking me longer for the same distance on it than it would outside.
I then bought a garmin footpod,paired it with my watch and calibrated it outside. When I run with it on the treadmill it shows me I'm running faster than the treadmill shows.
For example if I was running at say 12kph on treadmill which is roughly 8min/mile the footpod will say I'm running at 7.20 min/miles which is over 13kph.
I dunno which is more accurate the foot pod or treadmill but I'm not that bothered as I really only use it for short runs or hill intervals.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.