Running

Started by ONeill, June 09, 2009, 09:11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

laoislad

I used a treadmill to do 3 x 3min hill repeats and got a max of 196.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

muppet

Quote from: laoislad on June 10, 2016, 09:44:02 AM

Just shows you how far off those 220 minus your age averages are.  ;D
MWWSI 2017

laoislad

Quote from: muppet on June 10, 2016, 03:04:42 PM

Did the Irish Runner 5 mile at the weekend and recorded a max of 200 going up the final hill.

muppet

Quote from: laoislad on June 15, 2016, 12:16:50 PM
Quote from: muppet on June 10, 2016, 03:04:42 PM

Did the Irish Runner 5 mile at the weekend and recorded a max of 200 going up the final hill.

That means you are 20 years old according to those averages.

When is your 21st?   :D
MWWSI 2017

magpie seanie

Ah crap. I think I missed him by a matter of an hour or two. He went by my house today. One of the few times not being on Facebook has been regrettable.

The Iceman

Quote from: magpie seanie on June 15, 2016, 08:08:17 PM
Ah crap. I think I missed him by a matter of an hour or two. He went by my house today. One of the few times not being on Facebook has been regrettable.
http://steveysepicadventure.com/routes-2/
This outlines the route he is on -he's running tomorrow from Roscommon in to Mayo - Cashelbar... If you click on the expansion button you'll see the exact road.

any of the freestaters on here who fancy doing a few mile or having the wee ones make a sign or whatever for Stevey please try to show your support. He had some swelling and ligament damage there but has thankfully gotten over it and is trucking on!
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

The Bearded One

I'm not a runner.....but I have recently ran a 10km and a 5km, both chipped. My 10km time was just under 48 minutes, 4 days later I ran the 5km in just over 21 minutes. I pushed fairly hard in the 5km but felt reasonably comfortable, I was blowing out of my ar*e after the 10km and felt awful throughout.

My exercise schedule consists of going to the gym 3 times a week (and occasionally a spin class). My gym work is usually 15 minutes of cardio and about 25 minutes of weights/core work. I am just about the right weight for my height, maybe need to drop a couple of pounds but nothing major.

Due to other commitments I am unable to get much more time to train, so its about 45mins 3 times a week.

Is it a realistic aim to get my 10km time to below 45mins without ditching the gym and concentrating on doing a bit more running?
It is what it is. Presumably.

laoislad

Quote from: The Bearded One on June 17, 2016, 02:08:21 PM
I'm not a runner.....but I have recently ran a 10km and a 5km, both chipped. My 10km time was just under 48 minutes, 4 days later I ran the 5km in just over 21 minutes. I pushed fairly hard in the 5km but felt reasonably comfortable, I was blowing out of my ar*e after the 10km and felt awful throughout.

My exercise schedule consists of going to the gym 3 times a week (and occasionally a spin class). My gym work is usually 15 minutes of cardio and about 25 minutes of weights/core work. I am just about the right weight for my height, maybe need to drop a couple of pounds but nothing major.

Due to other commitments I am unable to get much more time to train, so its about 45mins 3 times a week.

Is it a realistic aim to get my 10km time to below 45mins without ditching the gym and concentrating on doing a bit more running?
I hate people like you.! The I don't run but I can run a 21min 5k types... Fcuk you and your natural athletic ability....
I'm joking of course(or am I....)
I'm pretty sure if you take up running a bit more your times will drop. You may just need to get some 10k endurance up because your 5k time would say you would be able to go well under 45 for a 10k.
Others on here will be able advise you better than me.

imtommygunn

What do you do in the gym? I broke 40 a year or two after starting running with a few times a week. It is possible but you need very good cardio.

It's not the recommended way to do it. To get better at running the best way is to run... Running races flat out without the fitness is very demanding and unless you have a high pain threshold will not work!

The Bearded One

Laoislad - it is far from natural athletic ability and more to do with pig ignorance!

Appreciate the responses from you both. The thing is, I enjoy the gym, and I don't know if I would use the word enjoy when out running. Perhaps if I dedicate a bit more time to running for a month or two I will know better if it something I will grow to like.

In the gym I do 15 minutes of HIIT cardio on either treadmill, bike or rowing machine. My weights/core work is fairly basic but it clears the head and that's the important thing for me.
It is what it is. Presumably.

muppet

Quote from: laoislad on June 17, 2016, 03:15:49 PM
Quote from: The Bearded One on June 17, 2016, 02:08:21 PM

I hate people like you.! The I don't run but I can run a 21min 5k types... Fcuk you and your natural athletic ability....
I'm joking of course(or am I....)
I'm pretty sure if you take up running a bit more your times will drop. You may just need to get some 10k endurance up because your 5k time would say you would be able to go well under 45 for a 10k.
Others on here will be able advise you better than me.

1. First get your BMI up to as close to 30 as you can, without the wife leaving. You can even borrow her pregnancy pants, but don't buy bigger clothes as this is just a temporary measure. Feel free to post up a picture.
2. Then talk about running as often as you can. Seek her support, she will really, really appreciate it. This stage can last anything from a couple of months to nearly a decade.
3. Then download the App 'couch to a 21 min 5k'. Enter your data and when the App refuses start you on the training plan, buy a garmin.
4. Then get Heart Monitor Training for the Compleat Idiot written by imtommygunn (for myself, Laoislad, Tony Baloney and Seanie - apparently Tony wan't a Compleat Idiot).
5. Buy a heart monitor chest strap (extra large if you followed step 1 properly).
6. When you finally start running, post here, as often as you can, your 5k times starting with something well over 30 minutes. If you find yourself starting off with a 'I ran the 5km in just over 21 minutes' then you are doing it all wrong and go back to step 1. Later, you will have a greater appreciation of the purity of endeavour of starting at 37 minutes and improving from there.
7. You will know you are doing it right when:
    a) You are blowing hard walking out the door;
    b) The wife is standing outside the door with rosary beads upon your return;
    c) You never made it out of the driveway;
    d) You post this workout on FaceBook you get two hundred sympathy likes;
8. Then, when you finally get to your 21 minutes 5k, you will have earned it! And some of us will say 'well done' when you do a 45 min 10k, and might even meant it!
MWWSI 2017

laoislad

Quote from: The Bearded One on June 17, 2016, 04:35:36 PM
Laoislad - it is far from natural athletic ability and more to do with pig ignorance!

Appreciate the responses from you both. The thing is, I enjoy the gym, and I don't know if I would use the word enjoy when out running. Perhaps if I dedicate a bit more time to running for a month or two I will know better if it something I will grow to like.

In the gym I do 15 minutes of HIIT cardio on either treadmill, bike or rowing machine. My weights/core work is fairly basic but it clears the head and that's the important thing for me.
If it was just all about pig ignorance then I would have the 2nd fastest 5k time in the world...magpie seanie would be world record holder  :D

imtommygunn

Pig ignorance is a must have quality for endurance runners!! Have thrown up loads of times at end of races trying to make sure someone else didn't beat me!

laoislad

Quote from: imtommygunn on June 18, 2016, 08:43:44 AM
Pig ignorance is a must have quality for endurance runners!! Have thrown up loads of times at end of races trying to make sure someone else didn't beat me!
There was a guy in a Man United jersey that was beside or just in front of me most of the race in a 5 mile I did last weekend. There was no way I was letting him cross the line before me. I busted a gut in the last 100yards to get past him!! He probably didn't even know I was trying to beat him ffs ;D

muppet

Quote from: laoislad on June 18, 2016, 08:47:47 AM
Quote from: imtommygunn on June 18, 2016, 08:43:44 AM
There was a guy in a Man United jersey that was beside me most of the race in a 5 mile I did last weekend. There was no way I was letting him cross the line before me. I busted a gut in the last 100yards to get past him!! He probably didn't even know I was trying to beat him.

Doing my first ParkRun in a long time shortly. Lovely day for it. Hoping to break 28 mins.
MWWSI 2017